Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 06:07 PM   #46
PackMule
love what you do

Oddometer: 19,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by neduro View Post
Have you ever had an intense period in your life where the sensation of time became non-linear? That's how Dakar feels. Even though it's only Day 2, the extended buildup, and the organization that came together in the days before the start, the people who are a part of the race are already settling into a timeless feeling, where everything you can remember is the race and everything you can foresee is the race. You are part of a living breathing moving thing, and it is all consuming.

The rhythm of the bivouac is very simple. Its strength comes not from what is done there, but from what is not done there- anything not related to getting thru the next day, to going fast. Morning comes early, a mediocre meal at the food tent, getting dressed, and trying to wrap your head around the details of the day- how many K's to gas, the GPS code, start time and liaison details. The liaison begins, and it's a beautiful ride, and a beautiful chance to reflect, all alone in the helmet.

Then there's the special. You'll get there a little early, refill your drink bladder, eat some food, prep your goggles and let the pre-race jitters build. The first few days are the worst, but it never becomes normal to leave on the stage. A million what-ifs bounce around while you try to pee. I watched Marc Coma attempt to pee on 7 different bushes last year, so it's not just me... eventually you are off, and the worries fade. Now you're doing what you love, what you came to do, what you've dreamed of. It feels like where you should be, because it is.

When you finish the special, it's a huge feeling of relief and elation... but it doesn't last long, because now there's work to do. There's another liaison, finding your team in the bivouac, and getting ready for tomorrow. A long time ago is measured in hours, the farthest ahead you can see is tomorrow.

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

They don't expect you to finish. That's why it's the Dakar. -- PPiA

Get your sweet Pyndon DakARTwork here

Pyndon '13
Old 01-06-2013, 06:33 PM   #47
PackMule
love what you do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuttle View Post

Manuel Lucchese
Liked · 8 minutes ago via mobile

I bet i am the first rider in the history of Dakar to have online internet assistance team!!!! :p Thank you so much Advrider forum guys for finding me a set of new mousse!!!!!

fb link with pic!

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

Pyndon '13
Old 01-06-2013, 07:26 PM   #48
PackMule
love what you do

PICS!!

Huge spread of pics from Webventure.br posted by Kaia in the media thread: http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...851544&page=10

Pyndon '13
Old 01-06-2013, 09:14 PM   #49
PackMule
love what you do

Stage 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand View Post
DAKAR STAGE 3: BRIEFING
Liaison sections: 100 km
Special stage: 243 km

AT ERG, THE RALLY GOES ONE STAGE FURTHER

Tempers are likely to flare inside the vehicles, as the level of stress increases. The recently formed pairs will have passed a major test during the first one hundred kilometres. The South Americans have adopted the term “Erg”, which accurately describes the sequence of dunes that they will have to negotiate in the small hours. All the competitors who go over them without getting stuck, including those in the lead, will be able to proudly breathe a sigh of relief. Their first reward will be to take advantage of the route along the seafront on the second half of the special stage. But the respite will be short-lived, as the tracks they will take at the end of the stage will also require skill and vigilance.

Pyndon '13
Old 01-07-2013, 01:50 AM   #50
doyle
RallyRaidReview-ing

Oddometer: 22,662
Dakar 2013 Stage 2 Moto Wrap Up

Barreda Draws Blood

Stage 2, a demanding loop around the extensive dunes of Pisco, Peru was exactly the stage for which Spaniard Joan Barreda has been training so hard. An 85km liaison followed by 242km of soft, fuel drinking sand. The strategy of most riders on stage 1 was to do anything to avoid having to lead the way on stage 2. A 10th place finish turned out to be the perfect amount of sandbagging for the Speedbrain Husqvarna rider as this allowed the track to be opened by stage 1 winner Chaleco Lopez. At the very first waypoint, the effect started to come into focus. Lopez on his KTM had fallen to third on the stage as Barreda pinned the throttle and never looked back.

Barreda commanded the win today

Uncharacteristically, Cyril Despres seemed content to hang back and allow others to set the pace. Always the strategic thinker, either Cyril is biding his time, allowing others to burn themselves out or perhaps without Marc Coma by which to judge how hard to push, the Andorran is taking some extra time to determine who his real competition will be for the remainder of the rally. A surprise at WP2 was American Kurt Caselli jumping into 3rd place, an excellent result for the rally rookie who was drafted in to the KTM squad at the 11th hour to replace the injured Marc Coma.

Things started to become unglued for many riders around the 75km mark. Navigational issues finding the waypoint saw some of the early front runners head off in the wrong direction losing precious time. After a quick error himself, Barreda was able to recover quickly and set his course properly. From that point on, the Spaniard dominated the remainder of the rally eventually taking his second stage win by more than three minutes.

“I got lost at the beginning of the stage. But I wasn’t the only one who needed some time to find his bearings. I quickly got back on track and everything went smoothly from then on. It was a great day at the office,” said Barreda at the finish.

Riders lost considerable time and fuel looking for WP3

Second place went to fellow Spaniard, Juan Pedrero. The KTM pilot, a usual water carrier for Marc Coma is unencumbered by the usual duties of having to hang back in a position best to support his KTM team mate and as such, has his chance to push for his own results. Push he did and the results bore themselves out as an excellent finish for Pedrero.

Pedrero pleased with second

Another superb water carrier finish came by way of Australian Matt Fish who is riding for the Speedbrain Husqvarna team supporting Joan Barreda. A third place finish for the first time Dakar competitor shows that Fish is taking to the rally scene quite readily. Fourth place on the stage went to another factory KTM rider, Ruben Faria. Faria, Cyril Despres’ water carrier caught up to his team mate early in the stage and the 2 rode together for the remainder. With Despres ultimately finishing twelfth on the stage, expect Faria to star stage three and then stop, intentionally losing time to allow Despres to catch up enabling the proper supporting placement.

On only his second ever rally stage in any race, KTM’s Kurt Caselli performed flawlessly on the day finishing in fifth, a placement that has to please the newcomer. Another happy rider was South African Darryl Curtis, the Factory B Team KTM rider somewhat surprised by his result. David Casteu brought his Yamaha to the finish in seventh. Jordi Viladoms appears to be getting on just fine with his new Husqvarna TE449RR, the Spaniard finishing the stage in eighth. Chilean Jeremias Israel also had a good day to finish ninth in his first Dakar appearance. The top ten was rounded out by Norwegian, Pal Anders Ullevalsetter.

Where stage 2 was surprising for some, it was baffling for others. Further down the list were top riders like Kuba Przygonski in 26th, Chaleco Lopez in 30th, and Alessandro Botturi in 31st, not the stage finishes for which these riders were hoping or planning. HRC’s Helder Rodrigues also had a disappointing stage, the Portuguese rider slowing to conserve fuel before eventually running out and having to wait for team mate Javier Pizzolito to catch up and transfer gas. “In the beginning there was a lot of dust, but the dunes I tried to recover many positions. At one point in the stage, was third and I forced myself to the end to ensure a good result. however, 4 km to the end, I ran out of fuel and had to wait for the Pizzolito help me. I was disappointed, but the Dakar is still long,” Said a disappointed Rodrigues.

Juan Carlos Salvatierra ran into some poor luck, the Bolivian burning out a stator and losing more than an hour and a half replacing it in the dunes.

“It was a step 100% sand, with some dunes difficult and very steep at the back. I had to be careful with gasoline. How many of us lost some precious time at kilometer 74 to validate the waypoint. then found the right direction and passed several riders. stopped to help Juan Carlos (Salvatierra), Honda rider in Bolivia and then continued. at km 30 was a good race among five drivers. We were passing each other,” said American Johnny Campbell.

The British contingent suffered a heavy blow as 2 riders were forced to exit the rally after dropping off a steep dune. Paul Jay and expat, Kevin Muggleton rode off the same dune together and unfortunately rode onto the withdrawals list. Determined rider Luis Belaustegui, having suffered carburetor problems on stage 1, changed it but then blew his 2 stroke KTM 150’s engine. Ever resourceful, the Argentinian used his ASO provided wrist band to fashion into a makeshift head gasket in order to make the trip to the bivouac to fight on another day.

Stage 3 puts the riders right back into the thick of it. The stage form Pisco to Nazca will be a 4km liaison into a 243km special but don’t let the relatively short distance be deceptive. A lot of sand and a lot of stones will make Stage 3 every bit as challenging as stage 2. Expect riders to push and pay close attention to navigation as to not make the same mistakes as they did today. Look for a win by Cyril Despres who will not be keen to go three stages in a row without having his name atop the leader board. The bikes leave the bivouac at 6:43 am on their way to Nazca.

Lyndon Poskitt on an eventful day

Stage 3 Map:

Stage 3 Profile:

Stage 2 Results:

1 BARREDA BORT (ESP) HUSQVARNA 002:42:31

2 PEDRERO GARCIA (ESP) KTM +0:03:16

3 FISH (AUS) HUSQVARNA +0:05:53

4 FARIA (PRT) KTM +0:06:26

5 CASELLI (USA) KTM +0:07:10

6 CURTIS (ZAF) KTM +0:07:49

7 CASTEU (FRA) YAMAHA +0:08:08

8 VILADOMS (ESP) HUSQVARNA +0:08:15

9 ISRAEL ESQUERRE (CHL) HONDA +0:08:19

10 ULLEVALSETER (NOR) KTM +0:09:42

Overall Standings:

1 BARREDA BORT (ESP) HUSQVARNA 003:24:11

2 FARIA (PRT) KTM 0:05:36

3 PEDRERO GARCIA (ESP) KTM +0:06:36

4 CASTEU (FRA) YAMAHA +0:06:58

5 DESPRES (FRA) KTM +0:08:50

6 FISH (AUS) HUSQVARNA +0:09:18

7 CURTIS (ZAF) KTM +0:09:19

8 ULLEVALSETER (NOR) KTM +0:09:27

9 VILADOMS (ESP) HUSQVARNA +0:09:35

10 ISRAEL ESQUERRE (CHL) HONDA +0:09:39

RallyRaidReview - @RallyRaidReview
Old 01-07-2013, 03:02 AM   #51
Flood OP
F5lood.

Oddometer: 10,161
Today's SS3 Pisco - Nazca again:

243km -unless they change something again-
7 Waypoints -unless some of them are dead again-
NO CHECKPOINTS -so if anybody's tracker is broken, we won't know what's up until they finish-

Tracking links for today
Mischa's site.
Dakar.com live tracker.
Dakar.com manual tracker.

As you can see from the above links, starting times are unclear, either 0643 local or 0700 local.

Local time in Peru

Anyway, that means there should be fire in the hole in just about an hour.

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-07-2013, 03:10 AM   #52
Flood OP
F5lood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodovitch View Post
We shall certainly see if Barreda has honed his opening-the-course skills today

IIRC he did so in Morocco, but lost time on those occasions. How much remains to be seen.
I think the big performer today will be Helder. Cyril is a sly desert fox, he will be looking to stay in touch and conserve as much energy as possible

Or something like that

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-07-2013, 03:45 AM   #53
Flood OP
F5lood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebull2007 View Post
Morning all,

We were hoping Glen Grundy was going to make it because he was not on the withdrawal list. So I open facebook and this is what I see

Glen Grundy

Hey all. Interesting last 24 hours...I had a great 165 km start, transit and racing stage, and at 85km into the special, the Honda's engine blew up. Long line of oil behind me in the desert. Sat there until midnight, when the sweeper loaded my bike. I chased away the chopper twice, which wanted to load me, waiting for my backup to bring some assistance. It was not to be...Policeman brought me back to the bivouac, where it's 5am, and all waking up. My role will now adjust from Moto pilot, to team assistance and support. That's the way the world works sometimes. Ready to go to the dance, but no dancing shoes!!! Brett now has a personal skivvy, for the next 2 weeks. I will send pics and details shortly.

Too gutting man.
-

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-07-2013, 03:53 AM   #54
Flood OP
F5lood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8340SU View Post

trucks trying to climb a dune, stage 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qSarWuvtfY

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-07-2013, 04:10 AM   #55
Flood OP
F5lood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8340SU View Post

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-07-2013, 04:33 AM   #56
Flood OP
F5lood.

dakar.com:

Portuguese rider Ruben Faria (KTM) has stopped in the stage before the 6 km. Nothing can explain this judgment for the moment, it is obviously a technical problem.

Yeah, sure. NOTHING can explain.

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-07-2013, 05:00 AM   #57
Flood OP
F5lood.

The Manuel Lucchese relief fund

I'll re-tell the story quicky for those who couldn't follow.

Inmate Manuel Lucchese lost his main sponsor, bought a used TM rally bike 1 day before they had to ship it from Le Havre, had someone pay for his flight to Lima, sweet-talked the airline crew to accept his spare engine as a musical instrument (!) and carry-on, then found someone on FB who let him sleep in his place in Lima.

In short, he's on a shoe-string budget without shoe strings. Or shoes.

Yesterday he posted on FB that he's off scouring the bivouac looking for a used (!) set of mousses for the next couple of stages.

ADV Team F5 jumps at the opportunity to help out, Sandi Spears contacts Team Freedom Rally Racing in the bivouac, Manuel gets a new set of Mousse. We are set to get him through that race.

And here we are now:

Quote:
Lets keep this simple.

Anyone who wants to donate to the Manny fund can Paypal to sales@motopeak.com. This is my business account, I'll pay the fees as you can't donate (no pp fees) to a business, that's ok. Please put "Manny" in the subject.

When we hit $1400-$100 (my donation)=$1300, I'll refund anything after that and make sure Dave gets Manuel the cash. Will post a total as we get close.

Sound good?

I love adv.

Quote:
Morning, everyone!

OK, it looks like I woke up at exactly the right time. Just checked paypal, and you all have been generous- I have ~$1320 since last night, and Dave has $1440 for me, so we're close enough to perfect.

Let's stop with donations until we have a plan to get Manuel dinero by some other route. If I see anything else come in, I'll ask here what to do, I can refund, or if we have a plan for how to make it available to Manuel, we can do that.

Now to catch up on the firehose...

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-07-2013, 05:16 AM   #58
PackMule
love what you do

Quote:
Originally Posted by doyle View Post
I spoke with Juan Carlos Salvatierra (@chavo_mx1) this evening. He was moving well early in the stage up to 14th at WP3 and then lost the stator and spent an hour and a half in the dunes changing it out but lives to fight on another day. Naturally he is massively disappointed especially as he had the same problem in Sardegna. His team mate Eduardo Heinrich stopped to help him as I believe did Johnny Campbell. His spirits sound good and I assured him we were pulling for him.

For those that don't know, Chavo is an inmate here riding a Honda (#50) for Team Honda Europe.

Pyndon '13
Old 01-07-2013, 05:20 AM   #59
Flood OP
F5lood.

WP2:

@RallyRaidReview

Despres showing the up and comers who is still boss. Leads the stage by 1'02" over...Quintanilla? Yes, that's right, the Q man in 2nd.

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-07-2013, 05:38 AM   #60
PackMule
love what you do

Tracking page upgrades

For those of you in Cliff Notes land, here's an awesome page that inmate Mischa Visser has been working on and improving for several years now.

Great one-stop-shop for seeing the race timing in an easy to digest manner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by misc View Post
You probably read I have been working on some new toy. It isn't finished yet, but I love it myself already, so I wanted to share it with you. Don't shoot me if things don't work yet.

What is it? A combined overview of all stats I have: waypoints, checkpoints, stage results. I got tired of clicking around over the different pages, sometimes even finding out different results on different pages. I tried to combine all the good stuff together into 1 page.

Filters or stage selectors are still missing, but for now this must be great:

http://monitor.trackingdakar.nl/

or if that doesn't work yet

http://trackingdakar.nl/monitor.php

I think you will understand what you are going to see. A few remarks:

Please consider this as beta stuff. Always keep an eye on the official results or other sources. Positions are calculated, so they can differ from the official site. It's just to get an idea how everybody is doing and maybe, maybe ;-) it can produce better data than the official.

Waypoints and checkpoints are hidden as long as nobody passed them. This is a technical issue at this moment. On the other side it's hard to determine which CP/WP comes first. This should do well enough and you all know what to expect anyway :-)

Have fun and.... don't kill my server. The page hasn't been optimzed yet :-) So, take care with F5!

Pyndon '13
Closed Thread