ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2013, 07:27 AM   #3046
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 4,994
Since I picked the place, do I need to be the one to handle logistics with the restaurant? I.e., call for reservations?
I review motorcycles for 2wheelsandamotor.com
Chisenhallw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:49 AM   #3047
EOD3MC OP
What will break next

Oddometer: 4,601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisenhallw View Post
Since I picked the place, do I need to be the one to handle logistics with the restaurant? I.e., call for reservations?
Oh yeah....that's definately you
EOD3MC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:17 AM   #3048
Dynamick
\dī-ˈna-mik\

Oddometer: 3,732
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisenhallw View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EOD3MC View Post
Oh yeah....that's definately you
most def!

Put a +1 on the mebbe list
Dynamick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:37 PM   #3049
crofrog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,455

Race was going pretty good until my bark buster got into a fight with my hand
crofrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:55 PM   #3050
blaster11
Ecuador here we come

Oddometer: 6,560
How bad is it? Get well soon!
Old 01-06-2013, 02:05 PM   #3051
Dorito
Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer: 4,967
Lessons you might have learned building a treehouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by crofrog View Post
Race was going pretty good until my bark buster got into a fight with my hand
Wrot Wro Scrappy! That doesn't look good. I guess this answers the age of question, which is worse the bark or the bite? On a serious note, recently found out that Union Memorial in Baltimore is the area's "sanctioned" hand trauma center. So, if you go to the ER and they are going to send you somewhere ask to go there.

---Break Break--

I have to hand it to Wicomico. The Hangover Hare Scramble track was really well prepared, and I think there were only 2 or 3 manageable mud/sink holes. It was a really nice course. Probably would have been more fun if I knew how to jump (rather land) on a MX course.

I am not sure what is going on recently, but I seem to be having one heck of a time with foot bridges. If you remember a few weeks back the horse decided to back off one, then scramble around a bit. Today, there was a bridge that was constructed using 3, natural pine 6in round support. The cross boards were rough cut 2x6. At the first lap, I noticed that one of the board was flopping. Seems they only put 1 screw per pine support (3 screw total) per board.

I lamented this looks like something you might have made as a kid when building a treehouse. You know, when you thought it was a good idea to "save" nails and only put one nail per step rung!

With the boards coming unscrewed, they would smash down after each bike. By the time I got back around the second lap (30 mins later but whose counting?), the bridge was pretty much will all the boards off, one broken pine support. And those knuckle heads were still riding it.

Since it was about 6 foot crevasse, I my general mistrust of foot bridges, I decided the better part of valor would be to take the water option. About that time, EOD3MC goes around the other side and jumping most of it! Of course, the Husky wasn't so lucky and all I saw was him nose in the crevasse, and the rear wheel at ground level. There's a move that going to cost some time!

My last lap I was getting tired, and got myself stuck on a hill climb. After 3 attempts (and 15 mins) EOD3MC shows up. I think he was gleaming Team Turtle because I finally got up it that time! Other than that, no falls off the TTR and no carnage to the bike.

My first lap was a paltry 35 mins, second lap 25 mins, and the last lap I did was 42 mins. Knowing I wouldn't get another lap before the 2 hrs was up, I galloped home. It would have been good to review the rule book, because apparently if you are allowed to start the next lap, you get credit for it even if you finish way over time!

Next time!
Old 01-06-2013, 02:09 PM   #3052
blaster11
Ecuador here we come

Failed radiator repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by EOD3MC View Post
So AJ and I decide it's a nice day for a ride so we head up into Maryland to harass Blaster and company.
After riding both the KLR and the Adventure...Aj's liking the 990

So we pull into the compound and when I'm swinging down the kick stand I notice my left boot is wet....funny, I don't remember going through any puddles
Then I notice the green colored water on the motor...oh oh..not looking good

So into the garage to take a look at things...
Found a split in the very last tube of the radiator....

So we pulled some more off the bike and then the radiator to see what could be done..

Well, the more we did the bigger the split got...

So called the Mrs. and asked her to bring the truck

On the bright side of things, one it happened in a much better spot then it could have been
and two...over 50,000 mile on the bike and this is the first real component failure...can't complain too much about that
So as soon as Dave gets off the KLR he notices his pant leg is wet....and its antifreeze...not good!

So we roll the bike in the garage and start looking at it but cant exactly tell where the leak is coming from, so we start the bike back up to make some pressure. Pressure builds and we see a couple pin holes spraying out, we think no big deal so I poke at it a bit and then it becomes a spray as the hole instantly got bigger. So Dave commences to take the bike apart so we can try to fix the radiator.

Radiator is now off and time for a look at the damage.

Using the big eye and a pair of needle nose pliers to remove some of the fins.

Work continues

And some more

Only to realize that nothing seems to be working and the crack is getting longer and longer!

Thought I would even give the torch a try as a last ditch effort...no luck.
So after trying JB weld and it not sticking even after scrubbing it clean and ruffing it up. We then though what the Hell let's just pinch that row off, nope the crack just followed the pinch line. We tried soldering it....nope that didn't work either. So we ran out of options and called for Dave's wife to bring the truck. Well before she got to the house she made a wrong turn and ended up in a ditch and her phone was at home charging. Somebody helped her out of the ditch but she wasn't very happy upon her arrival. No worries though, AJ had bought some Cadberry eggs and that apparently made her happy by the time she was home....all is well.
Old 01-06-2013, 02:20 PM   #3053
Dorito
Dreamer and Doer

For a fleeding moment, I was to be champion of the harescramble. I was the first women to enter . As a weird twist of fate, this was my number. The good thing is "69" is an palindrome (the same backwards or forwards). Thus, my upside-down installation didn't affect it!

Dorito Turtling around:

EOD3MC with Wings

Now he's just plain showing off!

Toim250xc vying for a place

Dorito screwed with this post 01-06-2013 at 03:03 PM
Dorito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 04:35 PM   #3054
crofrog
Beastly Adventurer

At right time got an X-ray. Fractured 5th metacarpal. They're splinting it sounds like it might need surgery and a pin.
Old 01-06-2013, 04:59 PM   #3055
blaster11
Ecuador here we come

We gotta quit doing so much stuff because we are going to out of riders and bikes soon! I am going to call in for a airdrop of bikes and riders...mayday...mayday!
Old 01-06-2013, 05:20 PM   #3056
Dynamick
\dī-ˈna-mik\

Oddometer: 3,732
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaster11 View Post
We gotta quit doing so much stuff because we are going to out of riders and bikes soon! I am going to call in for a airdrop of bikes and riders...mayday...mayday!
Please leave all crash mojo south of the "Welcome to Baltimore" sign, next week-end .

Okay?
Dynamick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 05:22 PM   #3057
Tom250xc
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Hangover HS

I'm sorry to hear about the injury suffered by one of you! Godspeed and get well soon!

I really enjoyed see a couple other Adv Riders today at the hangover! This race had a lot more racers than last year!

My own performance sufferd today for reasons unknown to me - I just wasn't "running on all cylinders" like I usually am. I came in mid-pack in my class and just squeeked into the the top third overall. That stated - I'm counting my blessings cause I walked away with just a few scratches - and the bike ran great.

The first weekend in March kicks-off the ECEA race season - and GNCC starts next month. So heal your wounds - get your bikes all fixed-up - and I'll see you at some Hare Scrambles or Enduros!

All the Best,
Tom250XC
Tom250xc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:08 PM   #3058
Dorito
Dreamer and Doer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom250xc View Post
I came in mid-pack in my class and just squeeked into the the top third overall.
I think I was in the top 5 for my class. Who's counting there were only 5 (maybe 6) starters!
Old 01-06-2013, 06:11 PM   #3059
crofrog
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorito View Post
I think I was in the top 5 for my class. Who's counting there were only 5 (maybe 6) starters!
one of them went out with an ankle too, we met in the ambulance.

hangover c start from Chris Shafer on Vimeo.

I need to get more agressive with the jumps. i can hit them in practice...
Old 01-06-2013, 06:16 PM   #3060
Tom250xc
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Good one Dorito...its all about the statistics. I commend any female for getting out there today. For that matter - I commend anyone for getting out there today! HS can be dangerous...just ask crofrog and the lady with the ankle!
Tom250xc is offline   Reply With Quote