ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2013, 10:52 PM   #16
slackmeyer
Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer: 2,978
I just wanted to chime in: I've ridden solo quite a bit in this area on those roads, but I wouldn't be doing it right now. There are places on reiff road and low gap road that can get really, truly muddy. Enough that getting a 950 (what I ride) or F8 unstuck by yourself can easily take up half a day. And there's plenty of ice around too. That said, it's probably worthwhile to dip a toe in by riding up to the gate on reiff, and riding a ways out low gap and a ways out sherwood road to get a feel for it. Walker ridge to bartlett springs to clearlake oaks might be do-able right now, or it could end like this:

(I turned around about a mile later, when the snow really did get too deep for my street tires).

Oh, and I wouldn't ride across that bridge, no way, no how. That's a lot of cold water moving pretty quick, with a big drop on the downstream side.

Have fun out there.

ktm
old bmw
others
slackmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:28 AM   #17
goldentaco
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by krbreton View Post
Cool. Thanks for all the tips. I'm putting your suggestions into routes so I'll have options when I go (and I have my paper maps too, of course).

Your routes also agree mostly with what I've already plotted out from SFMCJohn, so it seems like there are options. The weather still looks pretty good for this weekend. Without the threat of impending storm, I just have my own riding/judgement to worry about.
If you made it up there, I hope you got some breaks with the weather. I ride up there on occasion. I did Reiff Rd. back November and the Eastern side just past the West Gate was pretty tore up. Not too bad...baby heads, ruts...fun stuff.

I've got a 500 mile route I have done that includes much of your route...Reiff, FH7, Low Gap, Railroad Rd., Bear Valley, Bartlett Springs, etc. You can do it in a day but not this time of year.

I'm up for a similar trip for a weekend, or day trips through Clear Creek if you're interested.

J
Old 01-06-2013, 08:32 AM   #18
Dorsal9
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
In case anyone is thinking of heading out:
From 1/5/13; not much mud on Reiff; only one short greasy section. The picture of the ruts that slackmeyer posted, describes the road to a T. No locked gates yesterday. The 0 ton bridge is above water.

Dorsal9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:46 PM   #19
PastRedline OP
Wanderer

Oddometer: 33
Thank you all for the tips and feedback.

Here's the ride report of what I ended up doing: Basically just Bartlett Springs Rd and I ended up meeting some folks (including ridejpride) so we went at it together. It got interesting in the ice on Bartlett Springs but I had a great time.

175 in the pouring rain and then in the frozen cold the next morning was also an interesting bit...

-Kyle
PastRedline is offline   Reply With Quote