Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2013, 01:26 PM   #1
Randy OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,198
Selling my '88 XR200R... What to ask?? Pic heavy!

Hello,

I recent change of fortune has led me to sell off some of my stable. I started a thread HERE that explains the details and ask for pricing help of my CB400F Supersport, if anyone cares.

But the point of this thread is to hopefully get an idea of what to ask for my XR200R.

It's an '88 model, and while it does have some scrapes and bruises from use, I think it's in pretty good shape. All of the plastic is intact and while scratched a bit, is pretty decent with no cracks or real damage. The seat and cover is good. Tires are good, Chain and sprockets are good.

Mechanically it's good to go too. Starts, runs and shifts as it should. Always been well maintained and never abused. I bought it second hand back in or around 1990 and it was hardly used back then, so I know the history of the bike.

This is the full size model from before they lowered the seat height. It has the Pro-Link rear suspension with rebound and compression damping adjustment and linkage with grease fittings. This bike is pretty light and flickable, and I always found it to be much more fun, and faster, in the woods than my XR600R. Of course it's no race machine, but it is a very good play bike, IMO.

I just gave up dirt riding a few years ago so it's just been sitting in my garage collecting dust. Now it's time to move it on to someone that can use it.

So, is there a market for bikes like this? If so, what would be a fair price to ask, and what should I be willing to accept?

Here's some pics I just took to give you an idea of condition since I really don't know how to grade a use dirt bike of this vintage:

"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:34 PM   #2
error cooled
anything but asphalt

Oddometer: 1,150
Plated, road legal - $1100
Dirt only - $900

Looks sharp.

As a point of reference bought a clean road legal 88 XRR last year for $1300.

error cooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:52 PM   #3
Randy OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by error cooled View Post
Plated, road legal - $1100
Dirt only - $900

Looks sharp.

As a point of reference bought a clean road legal 88 XRR last year for $1300.

Yeah, it ain't too bad for a dirt bike of its age. And, that's about the number I had in my head too. Just wanted to make sure before listing in on Craigslist.

But, MAN! That 250 is SHARP! That's a helluva deal for $1300!
"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:20 PM   #4
error cooled
anything but asphalt

Oddometer: 1,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post
Yeah, it ain't too bad for a dirt bike of its age. And, that's about the number I had in my head too. Just wanted to make sure before listing in on Craigslist.

But, MAN! That 250 is SHARP! That's a helluva deal for $1300!
Sorry for the confusion... thats a 1988 XR600R. I replaced the tires and handlebars. This was how it looked at purchased.

error cooled is offline   Reply With Quote