Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2013, 12:27 AM   #2086
VRRR1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by troy safari carpente View Post
That's quite true... but that's a lot of GPS material to review if so... for all of the moto, auto, quad and truck cmpetitors... to determine who crossed what point and when (what do they do for the competitors who went back a couple of times?).

This could mean a great number of changes to times perhaps?

A big question in my mind is; 1. was the point innacurate (as some suggested?) or just difficult to determine and 2. how was Sainz' GPS functioning when he was at that point?
- I do not know the answers 1 or 2 ? However it would be each competitor to prove he must get his time back(protest) - Which Carlos successfully did . With GPS data each competitor has the ammo to prove 2 and 1 ?
VRRR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:27 AM   #2087
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Oddometer: 18,804
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clancy View Post
And let's face it, it wouldn't be the first time that El Rollador has won an appeal/argument purely by weight of personality

Well yeah... there's that too...

"What ees all 'zis f5uss about...?"
troy safari carpente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:32 AM   #2088
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRRR1 View Post
- I do not know the answers 1 or 2 ? However it would be each competitor to prove he must get his time back(protest) - Which Carlos successfully did . With GPS data each competitor has the ammo to prove 2 and 1 ?

If there is an innacuracy in the roadbook, the onus is on the organization to administer a solution equitably to all competitors (ie: each competitor need not protest), if it was a problem with an individuals GPS (not something common to all competitors) YES, then it is the responsibility of EACH competitor to plead their case - as Sainz did.

hence my question as to what the situation is regards points 1 & 2.

If number 1, the ASO has to review ALL cases... if number 2. its is on a case by case basis... and Sainz has had his case looked at and upheld it seems.

Old 01-07-2013, 12:32 AM   #2089
Bicycle Phil
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 685
MannyMoney on the way!

Bummed for Kevin....heal quickly bro

Looks like RMSDave will have time to lend a hand to the Malle moto contingent....!!!

F5ers RallyOn!!

Thank you: MX1West, Renazco Racing, KTM Twins, Rally Management Services
Bicycle Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:33 AM   #2090
homerj
742 Evergreen Terrace

Oddometer: 5,002
Quote:
Well yeah... there's that too...
I seem to remember Sainz either is/was an attorney, or was very close to becoming one before he decided on rally. I bet he's not easy to argue with.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:42 AM   #2091
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Quote:
Originally Posted by homerj View Post
I seem to remember Sainz either is/was an attorney, or was very close to becoming one before he decided on rally. I bet he's not easy to argue with.
For sure, he (or at least his team(s) managers) had some doozies with the FIA jury back in his Ford (Sierra) and Toyota TTE (Celica/Corolla) days in the WRC...

Old 01-07-2013, 12:48 AM   #2092
doyle OP
RallyRaidReview-ing

Oddometer: 23,005
I spoke with Juan Carlos Salvatierra (@chavo_mx1) this evening. He was moving well early in the stage up to 14th at WP3 and then lost the stator and spent an hour and a half in the dunes changing it out but lives to fight on another day. Naturally he is massively disappointed especially as he had the same problem in Sardegna. His team mate Eduardo Heinrich stopped to help him as I believe did Johnny Campbell. His spirits sound good and I assured him we were pulling for him.

For those that don't know, Chavo is an inmate here riding a Honda (#50) for Team Honda Europe.
Old 01-07-2013, 01:01 AM   #2093
too old
Keen supporter

Oddometer: 2,654
Quote:
That's quite true... but that's a lot of GPS material to review if so... for all of the moto, auto, quad and truck cmpetitors... to determine who crossed what point and when (what do they do for the competitors who went back a couple of times?).

This could mean a great number of changes to times perhaps?

A big question in my mind is; 1. was the point innacurate (as some suggested?) or just difficult to determine and 2. how was Sainz' GPS functioning when he was at that point?

EDIT: oh... and 3. How does this relate/pan out for the MOTO's... there were a lot of bikes running around looking for the same point... no?
and how long was spent looking for it also?
Old 01-07-2013, 01:10 AM   #2094
too old
Keen supporter

Oddometer: 2,654
Quote:
Originally Posted by doyle View Post
I spoke with Juan Carlos Salvatierra (@chavo_mx1) this evening. He was moving well early in the stage up to 14th at WP3 and then lost the stator and spent an hour and a half in the dunes changing it out but lives to fight on another day. Naturally he is massively disappointed especially as he had the same problem in Sardegna. His team mate Eduardo Heinrich stopped to help him as I believe did Johnny Campbell. His spirits sound good and I assured him we were pulling for him.

For those that don't know, Chavo is an inmate here riding a Honda (#50) for Team Honda Europe.
And that is exactly what put Sam out on day 2 last year (and 1 on the liason also!) - something seriously wrong with that bike set up?

Sam has his last years 450 Dakar X here in Dubai for training and has changed the battery - a bit of heath robinson solution as its much bigger - but no problems since - oh he did that after the stator went again!

Something to do with the electrical compatability - but vehicle electrics not one of my strong points beyond battery and fuse changes
Old 01-07-2013, 01:18 AM   #2095
Aussie66
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 794
Some people love em some people hate em.

I have used Super B batteries (nice and small) in the past on my Husky but that lasted three melted batteries before i stopped trying. I reckon they are great for enduro but less suitable where you need electrics to run the show.

just my 2 cents worth.
Old 01-07-2013, 01:19 AM   #2096
Aussie66
Studly Adventurer

Hey Too Old , you ride bikes ?
Old 01-07-2013, 01:25 AM   #2097
fetid_swamp
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 745
i'm also hoping 127 makes the finish and not last.
hiding behind those USDs and underneath all those tanks is a poor old XR400.
woo hoo. talk about dakar spirit!

Standing on the front lawn, shirtless, arguing with meth head neighbours while surrounded by bemused cops with dogs and tasers at the ready, his mullet gently blowing in the breeze.
fetid_swamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:26 AM   #2098
Aussie66
Studly Adventurer

Got one of these lying around if dirt bikes is not your thing
Attached Images

Old 01-07-2013, 01:27 AM   #2099
Flood
F5lood.

Oddometer: 10,161
Did someone get the rest of this sequence on Eurosport?

It was over quick, but I think I saw the two Honda riders sitting all the way back in super pursuit mode and a few seconds later a KTM passed them with the rider sitting up.

Maybe they were already in fuel preservation mode?

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Flood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:29 AM   #2100
Brodovitch
Team ⌘R

Oddometer: 3,171
G'morning everyone!

-coffee-

Quote:
Originally Posted by neduro View Post
Have you ever had an intense period in your life where the sensation of time became non-linear? That's how Dakar feels. Even though it's only Day 2, the extended buildup, and the organization that came together in the days before the start, the people who are a part of the race are already settling into a timeless feeling, where everything you can remember is the race and everything you can foresee is the race. You are part of a living breathing moving thing, and it is all consuming.
[...]

When you finish the special, it's a huge feeling of relief and elation... but it doesn't last long, because now there's work to do. There's another liaison, finding your team in the bivouac, and getting ready for tomorrow. A long time ago is measured in hours, the farthest ahead you can see is tomorrow.
probably the best description of being caught in the "rally bubble" I've read. Even on the smaller, 5 -7 day stuff I have raced, that's exactly what I was trying to explain to friends. The "racing" continued way after the riding ended, I found myself trying to minimize any time wasted, any superfluous effort, trying to plan every little detail as efficiently as possible, to combine tasks - your mind never stops working on how to be as time efficient as possible. Loved every second of it. I'll second the book thought Ned, either that or a blog