Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2013, 02:46 AM   #2131
too old
Keen supporter

Oddometer: 2,380
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROKIT_71 View Post
Sent in a $100 US. Good cause for a guy that is just living a dream!
Living a dream or living in a dream

My $100 is with Ted unless he hasn't spent it on Dakar beer yet - or firewood - must be a bit cold up there now!
too old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:52 AM   #2132
practicalshooter
Posteriophobiac

Oddometer: 154
Caught up. God, what a marathon. Now for the last 15 mins of yesterdays eurosport:-)
Old 01-07-2013, 02:55 AM   #2133
Flood
F5lood.

Oddometer: 10,161
Today's SS3 Pisco - Nazca again:

243km -unless they change something again-
7 Waypoints -unless some of them are dead again-
NO CHECKPOINTS -so if anybody's tracker is broken, we won't know what's up until they finish-

Tracking links for today
Mischa's site.
Dakar.com live tracker.
Dakar.com manual tracker.

As you can see from the above links, starting times are unclear, either 0643 local or 0700 local.

Local time in Peru

Anyway, that means there should be fire in the hole in just about an hour.

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Flood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:01 AM   #2134
Brodovitch
Team ⌘R

Oddometer: 3,171
Cyril reflects on yesterday

sorry if 205, just popped up on his FB. Interesting, sounds like the mind games have begun, n'est-ce pas?
Old 01-07-2013, 03:06 AM   #2135
Sylvia
vir sapit qui pauca loqui

Oddometer: 3,287
Evening All..

Sylvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:06 AM   #2136
too old
Keen supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodovitch View Post
Cyril reflects on yesterday

sorry if 205, just popped up on his FB. Interesting, sounds like the mind games have begun, n'est-ce pas?

Hmm - does this mean that some of the newer "fast guys" may be relying on the navigation of others - we will see if it does as the week unfolds, as at some stage it will become expensive, time or penalty wise and therefore timewise also
Old 01-07-2013, 03:09 AM   #2137
Brodovitch
Team ⌘R

We shall certainly see if Barreda has honed his opening-the-course skills today

IIRC he did so in Morocco, but lost time on those occasions. How much remains to be seen.
I think the big performer today will be Helder. Cyril is a sly desert fox, he will be looking to stay in touch and conserve as much energy as possible

Or something like that
Old 01-07-2013, 03:17 AM   #2138
homerj
742 Evergreen Terrace

Oddometer: 4,928
Quote:
Originally Posted by too old View Post
Hmm - does this mean that some of the newer "fast guys" may be relying on the navigation of others - we will see if it does as the week unfolds, as at some stage it will become expensive, time or penalty wise and therefore timewise also
Can't teach fast, but someone with moderate intelligence can be taught Nav. I'd be interested in the age difference between Cyril and the guys that are out pacing him.
Old 01-07-2013, 03:19 AM   #2139
fetid_swamp
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 742
Quote:
Originally Posted by too old View Post
in his latest http://dakar.phone2blog.net/ call in (thanks myway iirc?)darryl curtis SA #37 mentioned doing just that and hoping he may be able to have another's navi assist his tomorrow (today/40min).

Standing on the front lawn, shirtless, arguing with meth head neighbours while surrounded by bemused cops with dogs and tasers at the ready, his mullet gently blowing in the breeze.
fetid_swamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:20 AM   #2140
Yamezz
Suffers from MBS

Oddometer: 159
Quote:
Ignacio -Bultaco- Chivite, FB update:

After information received by the Organization, Ignacio remains in race to lack of pass by the last stage of yesterday WP control.
Ignacio decided to rest in order to follow and thus take strength to be able to continue.
In +/-one hour from reaching the goal of stage 2 to continue flying and enter stage 3 of today.
Now in Peru are the 05: 00 in the morning and you have time until 12: 00 to pass by the last control of the stage yesterday and thus be able to continue to participate.

Translation please. The Bultaco slept in the dunes?
Old 01-07-2013, 03:22 AM   #2141
too old
Keen supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetid_swamp View Post
in his latest http://dakar.phone2blog.net/ call in (thanks myway iirc?)darryl curtis SA #37 mentioned doing just that and hoping he may be able to have another's navi assist his tomorrow (today/40min).
Not learning on the job may bite him the arse also
Old 01-07-2013, 03:28 AM   #2142
Brodovitch
Team ⌘R

jordi Viladoms, this morning:

After covering the first two stages of the Dakar 2013, Jordi Viladoms provides his first impressions and experiences. A post 23 in the first stage and eighth in the second make things go well. Despite the hardness test, the pilot is optimistic:

"It was in the second stage when we noticed that really started the Dakar. We relocated from the closed park in Lima, where only slept bikes because we did it at the hotel, to sleep in a tent in the bivoac Pisco.
Besides the change of scenery has done that we begin to notice as the temperature increases, to feel the heat, I will say that only during special liaison and the first day I lost three kilos. Although we have a hydration system in the back that is a backpack with a bag inside is water mixed with mineral salts and a tube that allows us to drink, wear and heat do not be enough. The hydration system is vital for us. I remember in a drop bag broke and I had to go without it for many kilometers remaining, you can imagine how hard it was taking him even if we lose a few kilos.
Whenever I'm feeling more comfortable with the bike, think it had been only a few days before the test and Husqvarna Dakar is quite different to the bike that I raced this year for the world is very fast but has a single deposit back and that makes piloting different. Still I am happy and I am optimistic that if we continue like things may work out.
We arrived early to bivoac and that will allow me more time to fully prepare the roadbook, eat and hydrate well and rest even better. This is a party that is not seen but are very important, because the Dakar two weeks are very hard and you have to take good care of the body to be in optimal conditions step by step, to do the same thing with the bike , care much every day;) "

from here

Read somewhere that temperatures are around 39 celsius today... ?
Old 01-07-2013, 03:28 AM   #2143
8340SU
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,316
Not the best add, but honest at least

Good team work for HRC riders

The second stage of the 35th edition of the Dakar was a loop that started and finished in Pisco. Competitors experienced a 100% sandy stage characterized by fast tracks at the beginning and then, from km 145, big dunes and dunes “cassées” that made the challenge even more demanding.
A 242 km special stage in deep sand was particularly demanding for the machines, especially for fuel consumption with one refuelling point at km 81 in the liaison, 4 km before the start of the special stage.
The day looked promising for the Team HRC riders and Helder Rodrigues, started 29th , used all his experience to attack in the dunes picking up the 4th position at the CP1 (km 160). Helder continued to push aiming to finish in the first positions but unfortunately his machine ran out of fuel at 4 km to the finish line. Thanks to the team work, Javier Pizzolito gave his fuel to the team mate and both Helder and Javier arrived together at the end of the stage.

Spanish Joan Barreda won today’s stage in front of Juan Pedrero and team mate Matt Fish and is now leading the overall standing with an advantage of 5’35 on Ruben Faria and 6’36 on Juan Pedrero, third.
Helder Rodrigues SS2 15th +10’32, 15th in the Overall: “At the beginning there was a lot of dust but in the dunes I attacked recovering many positions. At one point in the stage I was third and I pushed till the end to assure me a good result but at 4 km to go, I ran out of fuel and I had to wait for Pizzolito who gave me his fuel. I’m disappointed but the Dakar is still long”.
Johnny Campbell SS2 33th +19’53, 35th in the Overall: “It was a 100% sandy stage, with some difficult dunes as they were very steep in the back and I had to be careful with the gas. Like many of us I lost some precious time at km 74 to validate the waypoint, then I found the correct direction and I caught several riders. I stopped to help Juan Carlos Salvatierra, Honda private rider from Bolivia and then continued. In the last 30 km it was a good fun to battle with 5 riders as we were attacking and passing each other back and forth”.
Javier Pizzolito SS2 49th + 27’05, 39th in the Overall: “I liked the dunes so it was a good stage for me but I made a navigation mistake at km 79 that made me loose some time and I also did 20 km more so I had to continue with an eye to the fuel consumption. At the end I found Helder and helped him by giving him some of my fuel”.

from HRC homepage
8340SU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:29 AM   #2144
rmhrc628
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by doyle View Post
Yep, Factory Helder being smoked by the non-Factory Rodriguez being smoked by the Factory Faria. I was surprised how quickly Rodriguez on a non-HRC bike was passing Helder.
But HRC passed again under braking.

Don't think that vid was true indication of motor power. Maybe Rodriguez has balls to hold open longer?
rmhrc628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:30 AM   #2145
too old
Keen supporter

Quote:
We shall certainly see if Barreda has honed his opening-the-course skills today

IIRC he did so in Morocco, but lost time on those occasions. How much remains to be seen.
I think the big performer today will be Helder. Cyril is a sly desert fox, he will be looking to stay in touch and conserve as much energy as possible

Or something like that
I'm hoping the big performer today will be Helder also - from where he is he certainly has the opportunity, we should see by WP 1 what his intention is for the day