Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2013, 03:36 PM   #16
elwood206 OP
turns food into poop

Oddometer: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by robsmoto View Post
This trip looked quite interesting. I like that it was a bit ad hoc and not fully planned before you started. Great photos. It makes me want to go now (and also be very glad that I didn't get to go at Uncle Sam's pleasure about 40 years back).
Thank you, I'm slowly learning simply to go with the flow when traveling. You really can just go and explore when you get there, there is plenty to do and its pretty easy to get around. I was ready to pretend to be Canadian, that was not necessary at all. The only sore spot concerning home I heard about was from an elderly gentleman, it was the use of Agent Orange and the lingering effects of it. Still, there was no sense of hostility toward me, which I would not have begrudged him even if there was. I wonder if a Vietnamese-only speaking person came to America wandering around would receive the same welcome as I did.
elwood206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 04:00 PM   #17
elwood206 OP
turns food into poop

We rode back to Hanoi on a different route than the one we rode in on, a great mix of highway, back road, village, and trail. Earlier when our guide had cell reception, the outfitter called and let me know that there was another trip leaving for SaPa on a night train if we made it back to Hanoi in time. We made it with time to spare and I met the guys who were going to let me tag along on their trip, two businessmen from Belgium and Switzerland. We loaded the bikes into the night train heading north and after getting to know each other a little bit, tried to get some sleep on the train.

Old 01-06-2013, 05:23 PM   #18
elwood206 OP
turns food into poop

SaPa was incredible, similar to the alps I was told. Erik (Belgian) and Olivier (Swiss) were great guys, they both rented XR250s and were excellent riders, even if I had a 250 instead of my 125, I doubt I could have kept up for long, on or off road.

elwood206 screwed with this post 01-06-2013 at 05:30 PM
Old 01-06-2013, 05:28 PM   #19
elwood206 OP
turns food into poop

Old 01-06-2013, 05:34 PM   #20
elwood206 OP
turns food into poop

Old 01-06-2013, 05:35 PM   #21
curveball21
Easy Rider

Oddometer: 10
Nice Trip!

I enjoyed the ride report and the spirit of adventure you had on the trip. Well done!
Old 01-06-2013, 05:53 PM   #22
elwood206 OP
turns food into poop

SaPa

Old 01-06-2013, 07:34 PM   #23
TxLoneRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 343
Love the pictures! Thanks for posting the RR
TxLoneRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:13 PM   #24
NSFW
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 15,918
awesome.......love those pics.

thanks.
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:00 PM   #25
Durden
Freak!

Oddometer: 477
Cool adventure, great RR. Love Vietnam, one of my favorite places. Amazing food, spectacular scenery and warm welcoming people, looks like you hit it all.

You have to know you're going to get scammed at least a couple times and just try to laugh it off WHEN it does happen.
Durden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:48 PM   #26
naveenroy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Lovely pics! Would love to ride through Vietnam and especially Cambodia. Maybe someday.
naveenroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:51 AM   #27
elwood206 OP
turns food into poop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durden View Post
Cool adventure, great RR. Love Vietnam, one of my favorite places. Amazing food, spectacular scenery and warm welcoming people, looks like you hit it all.

You have to know you're going to get scammed at least a couple times and just try to laugh it off WHEN it does happen.

Thanks, I hit as much as I could in 10 days. You're right, if you just assume that someone at some point will try to scam you, it's much easier. The people I met on the rest of the trip proves that the money exchange incident was not representative it the entire people. My last night in country, A guide from the outfitter took me out to a large dinner with all of his young friends, they suck away pad paid the bill before I had a chance to chip in, and would not accept any cash that I tried to give. The entire bill for all of us was probably less than a mediocre meal at a chain restaurant back home, but it was the principal of the matter to them that I was a welcomed guest. It was very touching and a great end to a good adventure.

I hear the whole SE Asian region is great on a motorcycle, and so far everyone I've met who has sold everything to travel has not regretted it.