ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2013, 05:02 PM   #1
Jim Colombotos OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 330
Fuel reverse purge module

http://www.efipurgemodules.com/index.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JqS4uwQ590

Just saw these links on ktmtalk.
Neat idea,basically electronic module operates fuel pump in reverse after bike shut down for a few moments pushing debris out fuel filter.... has pluses and minuses, but on a long trip could extend filter life ....maybe not a bad idea.
JC
2015 350 EXC
Jim Colombotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 05:23 PM   #2
ciedema
мотоциклист

Oddometer: 1,937
This one is a straight plug in one. No need to mess about removing the pump.

http://www.dalbymoto.com.au/index.ph...mart&Itemid=27

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR650L_Dave View Post
The only guaranteed route to failure is the attempted solution of problems through the application of ideology.
ciedema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:40 PM   #3
Dusty
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,252
$280... get fukin real.

Change the filters every winter and be done... don't run it low on fuel repeatedly, and you'll be fine.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:58 PM   #4
Head2Wind
MotorcycleMayhem

Oddometer: 2,537
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
$280... get fukin real.

Change the filters every winter and be done... don't run it low on fuel repeatedly, and you'll be fine.
Honestly, I am not sure how this system is supposed to help the situation.... As far as I am concerned, running the fuel tanks down to zero or until partial will have zero bearing on whether or not the pump picks up anything different from the fuel. Keep in mind that the pump intake is at one of the lowest points in the tanks AND on the 990 ADV it has a nice bowl to keep any heavies contained right there where the pump can suck them up, (can you say WATER?) . So... it doesn't take long for a tank of bad fuel to do its number on the very small filters.

In summary: IMO, the "run the pump backwards" to "flush" (to where? back into the fuel? YEP) the filters is NOT a solution. Also, IMO, running the fuel volume to near zero or any other level for that matter will have zero effect upon whether or not the fuel system draws in bad fuel.
Head2Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:00 PM   #5
ciedema
мотоциклист

I do think they are especially for Aussie conditions - changing out an fuel filter in middle of the desert is a pain in butt and it is possible to be a long way from anywhere in Aussie.

Also at the cost of $120-$135 for a filter kit you don't have to save to many changes until it pays for itself. The Dalby Moto guys running this report a very extended life for filters after fitting this.

Quote:
The only guaranteed route to failure is the attempted solution of problems through the application of ideology.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:11 PM   #6
Qwik
Adrenaline Addict

Oddometer: 6,422
Bikyto has that or something similiar on his. Seems to work well.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:16 PM   #7
bikyto
Dans le doute...gaz!

Oddometer: 2,154
I have one that I've been testing for many thousands of miles (ask CJDesigns if interested).
I'm super happy with it. Yes it back flushes whatever is in the fuel... Back in the tank but my fuel filters look like new (lightly stained). I am not worrying about clogging my filters in the middle of nowhere and it's paid for itself already.

Any questions, I'm happy to give my 2 cents.

Update: here is the one I have http://www.cjdesignsllc.com/efi-purge-modules/

bikyto screwed with this post 01-10-2013 at 03:04 PM
bikyto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:22 PM   #8
Head2Wind
MotorcycleMayhem

Oddometer: 2,537
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikyto View Post
I have one that I've been testing for many thousands of miles (ask CJDesigns if interested).
I'm super happy with it. Yes it back flushes whatever is in the fuel... Back in the tank but my fuel filters look like new (lightly stained). I am not worrying about clogging my filters in the middle of nowhere and it's paid for itself already.

Any questions, I'm happy to give my 2 cents.
Experience outweighs opinion. So if it improves the duration between replacing filters, then that would mean that reversing the pump to back flush the filters into the fuel tank with in-tank fuel, I suppose this means it works as designed.
Head2Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:11 PM   #9
ciedema
мотоциклист

Quote:
Originally Posted by Head2Wind View Post
Experience outweighs opinion.
Yep and frankly the Dalby Moto guys wouldn't bother if they didn't work. Out where they are if they sell stuff that is crap or a con-job the damage to their to reputation would shut down their business.

Quote:
Old 01-07-2013, 12:44 AM   #10
stickysidedown
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 654
Solution looking for a problem?

I've done 50,000 miles on my 08 bike now including riding across Russia and around Mongolia, sure I took a spare filter with me but haven't needed to use it yet.

Creating a fear about what might happen
Design and market a solution to the 'what if' fear
Sell product
Sit on a pile of cash and laugh at the suckers
stickysidedown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:42 AM   #11
Qwik
Adrenaline Addict

Oddometer: 6,422
It is a common failure. Lots of instances of poor running machines that run great after replacement.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:57 AM   #12
Tom_C
probably wrecked

Oddometer: 108
Not a 9X0 owner yet, but I'm not sure I understand the benefit. Backflushing the filter, so all the debris that was caught in it goes back into the tank, only to be sucked into the filters again once it all settles back out? What am I missing? Have read a lot on clogged filters, but it seems that a backflush would only slightly delay the inevitable, as the crud is still there?
Old 01-07-2013, 10:46 AM   #13
ciedema
мотоциклист

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickysidedown View Post
I've done 50,000 miles on my 08 bike now including riding across Russia and around Mongolia, sure I took a spare filter with me but haven't needed to use it yet.
And I had mine fail within 10000 miles using North American fuel.

Quote:
Have read a lot on clogged filters, but it seems that a backflush would only slightly delay the inevitable, as the crud is still there?
Experience says otherwise.

I am heading home (Aussie) for a few months - I intend to pick up one while I am there.

Quote:
Old 01-07-2013, 04:57 PM   #14
GazzaFish
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 586
Can i assume that if my filter blocks up that my bike will run poorly but still manage to get me home? If so, then i'd rather wait till it fails and do it then. It the problem causes me to be stranded with a bike that won;t run AT ALL. Then i'm more interested in preventing it...
GazzaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:15 PM   #15
stickysidedown
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 654
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciedema View Post
And I had mine fail within 10000 miles using North American fuel.

Experience says otherwise.

I am heading home (Aussie) for a few months - I intend to pick up one while I am there.
But using a completely irrelevant statistical group of our combine 60,000 miles that's still an average of 30,000 miles without incident and a filter kit is less than half the price of this module?

I wouldn't buy insurance against meteor strike because whilst a possibility its extremely unlikely, given a large proportion of failures get reported on this forum I wonder how many there actually are verses number of bikes that are out there.

I mean if it makes someone happy to have one, then I'm not going to hate on them for spending their money as they wish, but I don't imagine your example is typical unless you really have third world fuel in the States.

FWIW the respected independent BMW mech I used on one of my road bikes said not to even consider reverse flushing the fuel filter when my f800s played up, he said in his experience over any number of bikes with an issue just using a proprietary cleaner through a half dozen or so tanks did the trick, or the problem was something else.

In saying that he did himself out of paying work (but assured himself of my future business) and you know what he was right, the issue wasn't the filter!
stickysidedown is offline   Reply With Quote