Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 81 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 01-06-2013, 08:26 AM   #706
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by freeflow View Post

Now that has some clever ideas although I have to say that if it's portable it's pretty tall, and genuine portable in my book doesn't involve extensive uses of a crane.
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:47 AM   #707
freeflow
get in or go in

Oddometer: 15,238
http://www.belowtheclouds.com/en/2010/11/17/the-pierre/
freeflow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:59 AM   #708
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,829
Quote:
That is incredibly well done. I don't love the exposed concrete on the inside, but holy hell. very nice.
Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:18 AM   #709
swinterc
clotheslinetinyhomes

Oddometer: 224
My wife and I live in a Tiny Home that we built last year and have now lived in it for almost 9 months and loving it. Yes we did have to change our amount of stuff that we own but now fills as though we own our stuff and not filling that our stuff own us. There are many things that my wife and I miss and the major one for me is shop space but I'm now looking at renting a shop with a friend so I can have the bike and also build another tiny home that I will be starting here in a month for a client.

The main purpose to building/living in a tiny home is that so we can own all of our stuff out right and not support the banks. It has made it very easy to get ahead and with in another year we will have plenty saved up to buy land and start building a larger home (maybe 800sq' with a shop) out right.

I have always had a larger home with a mortgage since I was 18 and came to the conclusion that owning a home with a mortgage is not much different then renting except you do all the maintenance, taxes, improvements, ext. and the banks still owns it. I wanted to change that, so with any luck I can enjoy life and be were I want to be which is on two wheels...

I know that this is not for everyone but we wanted to try it so see if it works or not, if not we always have a great little getaway cabin.

Here is the blog about my wife and I tiny living. http://clotheslinetinyhomes.com/
swinterc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:21 AM   #710
BRAAAP
Lil' RC!

Oddometer: 340
I want a tiny home now after reading all this!
1986 Honda Goldwing Aspencade - Sold
2004 Kawasaki Ninja 250 - Sold
BRAAAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:32 AM   #711
Manuel Garcia O'Kely
Back at last

Oddometer: 12,482
Quote:
Neat looking, however, I have to suggest that the detailing of this place suggests it's not the least bit inexpensive!

The big lift up barn door is like an airplane hangar, in high winds it will be ripped clean off unless VERY stout - don't ask me how I know this.

But it's simple and clean - I like the wall of shelves.

There's casting, then there's running into the stream with a baseball bat trying to club the fish to death. - Jim Moore
Manuel Garcia O'Kely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:42 AM   #712
Manuel Garcia O'Kely
Back at last

Oddometer: 12,482
Quote:
$1,000/SF or better, I'd guess.

Interesting and good photos, the photog is the son of my Photo teacher in College, his dad shot for Time/Life for many years and taught at CC in the springs.

Not very tiny though. Nice, nice work.

There's casting, then there's running into the stream with a baseball bat trying to club the fish to death. - Jim Moore
Manuel Garcia O'Kely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:59 AM   #713
RustySpokes
Two-bit throttle bum

Oddometer: 1,007
Quote:
Did anyone else noticed the possible rock to roof jump feature?
Old 01-06-2013, 10:35 PM   #714
milq
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 684
This is my current project, it was my grandfather's house which he built 21 years ago at age 73. He had a house in town but wanted this for weekends, he later moved here permanently when someone offered him a ridiculous amount of money for the house in town. I was away at college when he built it and my dad was an OTR truck driver, so he really did build it with minimal help at that age. He passed away back in Aug. 2012 and dad inherited the house which I have now purchased. Dad could've gotten a lot more for the place, but knew I wanted it so he decided on a price and that's that.

Things went downhill a bit over the past couple of years, grandpa didn't want to spend a dime if he could help it and I (nor dad) could convince him to. My son and I stained it driftwood gray 3 years ago, grandpa wanted it to look older than what it really is I guess, he wouldn't budge on the color. You'll note some aluminum flashing that he had my uncle put across the house above the porch...(after I refused to do it for him) he felt that the sun was fading things too quickly and didn't want to stain it again too soon. He had some funny ways for sure, I suspect the aluminum cost outweighed the cost of stain but what're ya gonna do. He told my dad that he cut a foot of overhang off of the roof when he built it, not sure on that but if it's true he probably could've avoided the fading issues.

Since October I have repaired cabinets and gutted the bathroom after work and on weekends. I've installed some much needed lighting in the utility area and am currently finishing out all of the trim work. I wish I had taken some "before" pics of the bathroom, it was a dark hole with wood paneling on the ceiling and a shower stall that was straight from the 70s. I dropped the ceiling and added a light/vent fan and installed a corner shower, a full wall between the bathroom and utility room and a pocket door.

Anyway, some pics:

In the above pic you can see a small addition he added after going upstairs to bed started getting to him. It's cedar sided on slab, I intend to remove it and maybe use the slab for a screened in back porch but haven't decided yet. There is no plywood under the cedar, just studs, so it's pretty drafty back there and I have it closed off.

Above is the living room as it is currently. Grandpa added the timbers and flooring you see overhead to create a second bedroom upstairs as it was originally half-loft and his second wife had a tribe of grandkids that liked to sleep over. I'll be removing those timbers and reverting back to a half loft.

This is a before shot of the utility room, ceiling here matched the bathroom, so it gives a bit of perspective I guess. All wood paneling has been replaced with drywall and painted an off-white/stone color. There were no lights in here at all, that has since been corrected and it is a bright usable room that will mostly be used as a coat room and pantry I suspect.

After I remove the addition and the extra bedroom, I think it will be just under 1000 sq. ft of floor. Not sure if that qualifies for the thread or not but that's what I've got.

One last pic...sunset from the front porch!

Old 01-07-2013, 05:29 AM   #715
DriveShaft
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel Garcia O'Kely View Post
I feel that the very extremes are more as a proof of concept...

Given good design, a smaller house is not an impossible concept - ours at 800 has a pretty lousy layout, due to the building we got when we bought it - knocking out the interior demising wall could not happen due to structural issues.
Alot of the proofs of concepts don't prove much of a concept, either. Most of them are built like over-funded (and under-analyzed) architecture student projects, where you might get a few points straight (roof over head...check. walls...check...what else do I need?). But space is totally unlivable 2 seasons out of the year, or it's in pieces after the first storm, etc. That beach hut...have fun replacing glass every *month* from those huge swingin' doors...that is if you survive having it rain down on you from 20' in the air. Most of these should have been done in 1:10 scale. But I guess that's not nearly as dramatic, is it?

There's alot of thought that goes into a house. structural, utilities, airflow and ventilation, insulation. They should put cross-disciplinary constraints on these concept models...if you build a plane and it doesn't fly...it isn't a plane. If you build a house, and in 2 yrs it falls apart...it isn't a house.
DriveShaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:57 AM   #716
2speed
Puching adventurer

Oddometer: 842
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeraux View Post
I know what you're saying, but I also think it's the "tiny house movement" that doesn't really "get" it, either.

If you want to do anything other than "exist" or own more than two pairs of shoes in something like that, you have to have more space. If you want to work on your car or bike or... You need storage for jacks, jackstands, oil pans, tools... All of this increases your square footage and rapidly your footprint isn't as "tiny" as you'd planned. Or... You don't have any of that and you have to pay someone to fix everything driving the effective cost of that "tiny" space upward.

I'm in about 1,000 sq ft 3-story, 1-bedroom townhome with a garage. It's small (downright cozy), but not "tiny". I love the layout and the use of space. I came down from a roughly 2,100 sq ft house with a garage. I'm still in the process of culling through all the stuff I pulled out of my old house that's stored in the office/room behind the garage, but I still have room for things like my motorcycle helmets and gear in my walk-in closet.

The "tiny house" thing is fascinating. I love looking at how creative they get with things like hidden Murphy-type beds or beds that fold into desks or bookcases that can move in order to reshape rooms and spaces, but when it comes down to it, they're not a long term option. No one is going to "grow up" in a "tiny house". They're little more than an exercise in efficiency and design.

Now, they do make a fantastic dwelling on a piece of vacation property.
Exactly. What the tiny house movement needs to emphasize is that the actual "dwelling" area of the house needs to be smaller. Kitchen, bathroom, bedroom, living/office/whatever room. Then depending on your hobbies, interests, or work you building separate buildings to accommodate them. That way your only heating/cooling a smaller space.
Old 01-07-2013, 02:46 PM   #717
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,533
Quote:
Originally Posted by milq View Post
This is my current project, it was my grandfather's house which he built 21 years ago at age 73.
Not "tiny", but very cool!
IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:21 PM   #718
fireflyr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 444
Not sure if this got posted before. My parents are building this in Montana, near Polebridge. Outer dimensions are 16' x 16'. My dad turns 80 next month.

My parents have been married 52 years and are still cooking up schemes like this. We're pretty lucky kids.
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer, #347
2004 XR400R Dual Sport, Baja Designs kit
2005 TTR 125 (son's)
1967 & 1971 Honda Trail 90s
fireflyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:06 PM   #719
UngaWunga
Mosquito bait

Oddometer: 7,089
That's an excellent looking place. Any chance he didn't build that without plans?
Old 01-07-2013, 05:01 PM   #720
fireflyr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by UngaWunga View Post
That's an excellent looking place. Any chance he didn't build that without plans?
It was built with plans. My mom had seen it in Sunset Magazine around 1990. I don't remember the name of the architect.
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer, #347
2004 XR400R Dual Sport, Baja Designs kit
2005 TTR 125 (son's)
1967 & 1971 Honda Trail 90s
fireflyr is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: