Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-07-2013, 04:41 PM   #16
It'sNotTheBike
Banned

Oddometer: 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldxr View Post
There are many places in the western USA that there is no a cell sevice due to mountainous terrain and lack of population that would make cell service profitable.

And there are places in kommie kalifornia where drones like you live and spew
misinformation forth from their Windoz komputerz. This is regrettable in the extreme.
It'sNotTheBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:14 PM   #17
bigbadandugly
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by syzygy9 View Post
The disadvantage is that you can't mount it on a motorbike (not weather proof and possibly not rugged enough to survive big falls)
Check out Liquipel . This company uses some sort of nanotechnology coating technique to waterproof, among other things, cell phones and tablets. I saw them at the 2012 Consumer Electronics Show where it had treated iPhones sitting in water (one was a waterfall). It does not recommend prolonged submersion, but for rainfall and the such you should off to the races. Roughly $60 if you lie in the land of the red, white, and blue, but not sure if they return products across borders.

There are other companies that provide competing nanotechnology waterproofing technologies (such as HzO), but I believe they are manufacturing-based solutions and not post-purchase applications like Liquipel.

Unfortunately you're still on your own with respect to crashes...

BigBadandUgly

bigbadandugly screwed with this post 01-07-2013 at 05:39 PM
bigbadandugly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:29 PM   #18
IL adv
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sNotTheBike View Post
An iPhone can work with GPS without a cell signal. The assisted GPS in the iPhone
uses cell towers to lower the time required for the initial fix, but in no way is a cellular
signal required for an iPhone to work effectively as a GPS.

To answer the original question : the Garmin Montana is the obvious choice in 2013 for
GPS navigation for an off-road motorcycle. Next year there may be a different optimal
solution, as is always the case with electronics.

I am new to all of the Bike GPS units but I have been reading some about using the new Ipad Mini for a bike GPS and I was reading alot of conflicting info. I also thought I just read on another Ipad related site that the 4G Ipad Mini can be used as a GPS without a cell signal. Do you have to buy any extra GPS reciever chips to plug into it or does it come with one already? If it does, this seems like a nice set up to me. Slip it in my tank bag sleeve and go...

I have some trips planned this year where I will have no cell service in the mountains and if it won't work there, this will not be a good thing for me.
IL adv is offline   Reply With Quote