Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2013, 08:19 PM   #181
Anorak OP
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 31,731
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiaz View Post
Coldest I've ever been on a motorcycle was riding across the Dumbarton Bridge in July.
Late afternoon?

So, there's a display that shows real time energy consumption. Stopped at a traffic light in 50 degrees, it's about 500 watts. With the heater set on 80 degrees in the less efficient comfort setting, the power draw hits about 7,000 watts and then as the cabin heats up drops down to about 4,000 watts. In case you're curious, one horsepower is about 745 watts.

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:51 PM   #182
Anorak OP
Woolf Barnato

If I leave an Ipad on the front passenger seat while I'm driving, it triggers the seat occupancy detector which then periodically triggers the seatbelt warning light and sound. A 10 lb. bag of stuff won't do it, just the Ipad. The chime was driving me nuts until I figured it out.

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

Old 02-06-2013, 08:08 PM   #183
Anorak OP
Woolf Barnato

These came last yesterday. It's about fucking time. I got my plates about two months ago but I have been waiting until I received my h.o.v. stickers before I put the plates on. The Fastrack lane is free if you don't have plates on your car but you still can't use the car pool lane.

Old 02-06-2013, 10:35 PM   #184
BCC
I know better

Oddometer: 7,500
I've been in Chino 2 1/2 days and seen more Volts on the road here, than during the entire 9 months on the east coast, since we got ours.

Around 17,000 miles so far and going great.

Cherish the memories------Ken OBSC
BCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:51 PM   #185
Keith
Slabbing it

Oddometer: 830
Wheen are some moon discs going on that thing, to really get the mileage up?
Old 02-06-2013, 11:01 PM   #186
Lewy
Minus the LC8

Oddometer: 1,952
$60k in Australia. Probably why I have only seen one on the road since November release date.

I would buy one if they were $30k.

Instead I bought a Focus which only cost twice as much as you guys pay
Lewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 10:49 AM   #187
KungPaoDog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 394
So, how's the Volt running?
Old 05-16-2013, 10:58 AM   #188
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Oddometer: 34,579
In the past 2 days I've seen 3 volts, 2 leafs, and 1 Tesla model S. I mean you see more Prius's than that in 1 minute of city driving but still they are out there!

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 11:32 AM   #189
Anorak OP
Woolf Barnato

Quote:
Originally Posted by KungPaoDog View Post
So, how's the Volt running?
Great. I drove it to L.A. again and it averaged about 41 mpg using gasoline. I waited until the Grapevine to switch to battery to see what the electric range on a long grade is. About 28 miles. As the weather has warmed up, the estimated range on a full charge is usually about 46 miles. I saw 48 miles on one charge before on the freeway before it switched to the range extender.

Old 05-16-2013, 07:01 PM   #190
vtwin
Air cooled runnin' mon

Oddometer: 6,759
Did you put it in "mountain mode" while going down the Grapevine? If so, how much charge did it return?

"You only have too much fuel if you're on fire"
unknown
vtwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 11:34 PM   #191
Anorak OP
Woolf Barnato

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtwin View Post
Did you put it in "mountain mode" while going down the Grapevine? If so, how much charge did it return?
I didn't use "mountain mode". I didn't have any need for even a partial charge. Charging the battery with the range extender is more expensive than plugging it in.

On the north side of the Grapevine, the battery increased the charge by only about five miles which was a surprise. I had a generic OBDII scanner hooked up to the car and saw that even when it is running the engine, the engine will shut off after the car has been coasting for a while. When the throttle is used, it will not immediately start the range extender.

Old 05-17-2013, 01:59 PM   #192
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 9,340
I dont really see the point to hybrids unless all you're doing is sitting in stop and go traffic..... for that they make a TON of sense in the way when you're sitting, you're not using any fuel.... or you can lane split on a bike.
I know TDI's come up a lot in these discussions but last year the wife and I bought the Passat TDI and on our annual trip to the Historic Car races in Monterey with four people and the trunk completely jam packed full of shit, it got 46 mpg.
For the mileage and comfort of the car for 4 adults...... its tough to beat
Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 03:08 PM   #193
Anorak OP
Woolf Barnato

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatpasta View Post
I dont really see the point to hybrids unless all you're doing is sitting in stop and go traffic..... for that they make a TON of sense in the way when you're sitting, you're not using any fuel.... or you can lane split on a bike.
I know TDI's come up a lot in these discussions but last year the wife and I bought the Passat TDI and on our annual trip to the Historic Car races in Monterey with four people and the trunk completely jam packed full of shit, it got 46 mpg.
For the mileage and comfort of the car for 4 adults...... its tough to beat
I bought a Chevy Volt recently.

Old 05-17-2013, 04:11 PM   #194
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 9,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anorak View Post
I bought a Chevy Volt recently.
im very curious to see how it works out over time. A lot of people seem to like what they do but everything I have read about them essentially says they are a good concept with a poor execution.
Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is

eatpasta screwed with this post 05-17-2013 at 04:28 PM
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 04:40 PM   #195
BCC
I know better

Oddometer: 7,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatpasta View Post
im very curious to see how it works out over time. A lot of people seem to like what they do but everything I have read about them essentially says they are a good concept with a poor execution.
I don't know any owners that say the Volt has poor execution (though I'm sure there must be some). Close to 20k on ours, trouble free. 2/3rd of the miles powered by the batteries, without running the auxiliary.

Cherish the memories------Ken OBSC
BCC is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: