User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2013, 08:29 PM   #1
Little Bike OP
Air/Clutz Sue

Oddometer: 1,154
Noob on the dirt - 4th day riding

I need to figure out how to put these together in one thread.....

Anyways,

Always wanted to see the calcite mine off S-22 about 4 miles in on dirt. I talked to someone not too long ago that said it was pretty easy except there was one big hill. OK, I can handle that!

Since the road stays up high except for one wash crossing, there was very little sand, however, I got to face a new riding obstacle/thing to learn - going up and down steep rutted roads with ledges and sand pits at the bottom of the ledges.

I went down the first hill, not too bad, crossed the wash and then looked up.......oh crap.......
Well, I have my short bike and long legs so I did a combination of riding and duck walking in first gear up the slope. Made it, back on easy trail and feet on pegs. Went a little further, looked up again and.....Quadruple crap! Now we have ruts, ledges that run parallel to the road and steps/ledges with sand pits at the bottoms. OK, turn around or.....

What the f.......keep going! This was hard, stalled on some really steep bits and slid backwards (front brake was on!). That was a little freaky.....finally got to the top, road on some "easier" stuff - i.e., my feet were mostly on the pegs. I stopped at an overlook and saw the road winding away up the sides of the hills. The wind had gotten pretty brutal, I had to keep the faceshield down to keep from getting eyefulls of sand. I think this is going to be another strategic retreat, I'm tired enough that if I drop the bike it's going to be really tough to pick up.

Going back down was a little easier, clutch in, brake on, feet out! Hit a few bits that I hadn't ridden on the way up, but was able to ride down and the opposite too. I did ride all the way up the last hill - yay!

Really pretty country and you could look down into slot canyons that I'll have to go back and hike. Another good thing was that all of the duck walking hard sections are hidden from the cars at the overlook. Total humiliation avoided!

Rode back west on the blacktop, through the crosswind to Truckhaven Road. Wow, perfect noob road! No steep hills, just a nice ride with just enough sand and some mild whoops to make it interesting.

Back at the motel, fell asleep - whoops, then met Carl and Lorrainne, we met on the forum yesterday - super nice people, and had dinner at Carlee's.

Good day, some definite challenges! I have one more day to ride, I think I'd better go check the road conditions before taking off again! There was a lot of rain this summer and even 2wd roads need 4wd this winter....

Yay, have 4 days of dirt experience (or lack thereof ) so far!

Forgot to charge camera again.....grrrrrr

V-Strom 650 Adventure "Maxwell"
DR-Z400s "Little Donkey2"
Little Bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:00 PM   #2
De Eee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
Pics....please.
De Eee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:03 PM   #3
Little Bike OP