ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 24 votes, 4.79 average. Display Modes
Old 01-07-2013, 05:19 AM   #736
levain
STILL Jim Williams
 
levain's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Providence, RI
Oddometer: 6,938
Bread Magazine

I just received the latest issue. Happy to share a google doc if anyone is interested. Better yet, subscribe here. They allow sharing, so I'm not breaking any rules Get me your gmail address if interested.
__________________
Click Here!
2012 Triumph Tiger 800 XC
2008 Yamaha WR250R
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:58 AM   #737
AMCJEEP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: CT
Oddometer: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by levain View Post
I just received the latest issue. Happy to share a google doc if anyone is interested. Better yet, subscribe here. They allow sharing, so I'm not breaking any rules Get me your gmail address if interested.
I would be interested in checking it out. my username @gmail


I have been looking into making bread, This spring I am building a wood fired pizza oven. But in the mean time I am going to start in my oven like most others use.

Does anyone have a good suggestions for rolls to use with hamburgers? We grind all of our own beef, make our own cheese and would like to add some home made rolls to the meal we are making Friday.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver Wendell Holmes
Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing.
AMCJEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:18 PM   #738
Barnstormer
Polar Bear Wrangler
 
Barnstormer's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: Boulder, Colorado
Oddometer: 2,228
So I saw this video yesterday, and decided to do a comparison. So I started the regular no-knead recipe last night and the short version just now. The timing should be about 18 hours on the long version and 4 on the short.
Stay tuned for further developments!

Barnstormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:26 PM   #739
Ko
Observant as never
 
Ko's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: a spot in the prairies
Oddometer: 1,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellydoug View Post
Bernard Clayton has a good recipe for Portugese Corn Bread in his book. If you can't find it I could email you a recipe I use; you could scale it down for home use.

Remember to cook and partially cool the corn meal before mixing and baking. I cook it in half the water, not until boiling, but until it thickens. This will give you a soft bread that doesn't have hard corn meal grains in it.
thanks!

Ko
__________________
no snowflake ever feels responsible for the avalanche...

Ko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:29 PM   #740
levain
STILL Jim Williams
 
levain's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Providence, RI
Oddometer: 6,938
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnstormer View Post
So I saw this video yesterday, and decided to do a comparison. So I started the regular no-knead recipe last night and the short version just now. The timing should be about 18 hours on the long version and 4 on the short.
Stay tuned for further developments!

Good times. Did you do the first version or the red wine vinegar version? Maybe, you need to do another mix to really compare them
__________________
Click Here!
2012 Triumph Tiger 800 XC
2008 Yamaha WR250R
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:35 PM   #741
Ko
Observant as never
 
Ko's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: a spot in the prairies
Oddometer: 1,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by levain View Post
I just received the latest issue. Happy to share a google doc if anyone is interested. Better yet, subscribe here. They allow sharing, so I'm not breaking any rules Get me your gmail address if interested.
new subscriber here, looked at the previous year and liked what I saw.

Ko
__________________
no snowflake ever feels responsible for the avalanche...

Ko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:17 PM   #742
Barnstormer
Polar Bear Wrangler
 
Barnstormer's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: Boulder, Colorado
Oddometer: 2,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by levain View Post
Good times. Did you do the first version or the red wine vinegar version? Maybe, you need to do another mix to really compare them
I am doing them both at the same time. Later tonight I'll have 2 loaves, one of each.
Barnstormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:22 PM   #743
levain
STILL Jim Williams
 
levain's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Providence, RI
Oddometer: 6,938
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnstormer View Post
I am doing them both at the same time. Later tonight I'll have 2 loaves, one of each.
No, I'm wondering which of the short versions? Jim's advise for a short version is to add the vinegar. That makes 3 versions. Get on it
__________________
Click Here!
2012 Triumph Tiger 800 XC
2008 Yamaha WR250R
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:36 PM   #744
slackmeyer
Don't mean sheeit. .
 
slackmeyer's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Berzerkeley, CA
Oddometer: 2,935
Made a tasty batch this weekend- a bit over risen, but it turned out well. I was aiming for more sourdough flavor, so I did a 24 hour poolish started with sourdough, then mixed in the rest of the flour/salt, 10 hour rise at 60 degrees, and then another 2 hours after shaping. Definitely has more flavor, but not really tangy sour.

__________________
Zak

ktm
old bmw
others
slackmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:35 PM   #745
Barnstormer
Polar Bear Wrangler
 
Barnstormer's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: Boulder, Colorado
Oddometer: 2,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by levain View Post
No, I'm wondering which of the short versions? Jim's advise for a short version is to add the vinegar. That makes 3 versions. Get on it
Ah. The vinegar version.
Barnstormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:50 PM   #746
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer
 
Mambo Dave's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Pompano Beach, FL
Oddometer: 4,549
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackmeyer View Post
Made a tasty batch this weekend- a bit over risen, but it turned out well. I was aiming for more sourdough flavor, so I did a 24 hour poolish started with sourdough, then mixed in the rest of the flour/salt, 10 hour rise at 60 degrees, and then another 2 hours after shaping. Definitely has more flavor, but not really tangy sour.
Next time, pull some of the dough out, place it in an air-tight container (I use a wide-top mason jar with a lid), and let that sit for a day before putting it in the fridge. Next time you make no-knead, mix it in addition to a full recipe's worth of flour and all INSTEAD of yeast and allow that to rise. Right before baking, separate out that amount again (which is about 3/4 of a mason jar) to put it in the fridge and have for next time.

I've been doing this over and over, so it saves me on having to buy yeast... and gives me a sour enough dough.
Mambo Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:24 PM   #747
slackmeyer
Don't mean sheeit. .
 
slackmeyer's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Berzerkeley, CA
Oddometer: 2,935
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
Next time, pull some of the dough out, place it in an air-tight container (I use a wide-top mason jar with a lid), and let that sit for a day before putting it in the fridge. Next time you make no-knead, mix it in addition to a full recipe's worth of flour and all INSTEAD of yeast and allow that to rise. Right before baking, separate out that amount again (which is about 3/4 of a mason jar) to put it in the fridge and have for next time.

I've been doing this over and over, so it saves me on having to buy yeast... and gives me a sour enough dough.
No yeast in this one, it's from a sourdough starter that I started from some grape skins about 15 years ago. . . . so I'm doing something very similar to what you're doing. Oh, and this actually isn't a no knead dough, it was mixed in a kitchenaid, and it's quite a bit drier dough than no knead- it's tacky, but not soupy as a dough.
__________________
Zak

ktm
old bmw
others
slackmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:27 PM   #748
levain
STILL Jim Williams
 
levain's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Providence, RI
Oddometer: 6,938
1,000,001 ways to make a loaf of bread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
Next time, pull some of the dough out, place it in an air-tight container (I use a wide-top mason jar with a lid), and let that sit for a day before putting it in the fridge. Next time you make no-knead, mix it in addition to a full recipe's worth of flour and all INSTEAD of yeast and allow that to rise. Right before baking, separate out that amount again (which is about 3/4 of a mason jar) to put it in the fridge and have for next time.

I've been doing this over and over, so it saves me on having to buy yeast... and gives me a sour enough dough.
Hah! I love this type of ingenuity! You've basically created a sourdough and worked out you're own method of refreshing it. Awesome. I'm sure by now any of the commercial yeast you started with has been killed off by the bacteria over time. Post a picture of the final loaf?
__________________
Click Here!
2012 Triumph Tiger 800 XC
2008 Yamaha WR250R
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:27 PM   #749
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer
 
Mambo Dave's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Pompano Beach, FL
Oddometer: 4,549
Quote:
Originally Posted by levain View Post
Hah! I love this type of ingenuity! You've basically created a sourdough and worked out you're own method of refreshing it. Awesome. I'm sure by now any of the commercial yeast you started with has been killed off by the bacteria over time. Post a picture of the final loaf?
Thanks, lol.

It differs greatly with the flour I actually buy. In post 723 I tried a new flour that is giving me great results... for what I put into it. But I've been screwing up lately and haven't been able to get the crust I had about ten loaves ago (it looks like a great crust from pics, but really isn't after a few hours). I cook it in between two cast iron skillets... and don't ever even try to put a cut across the top with a knife anymore, so it's just not worth picturing... but I'm using the 4 cups flour, 1 teaspoon salt, 2 cups (give or take) warm water plus the dough/starter/pre-ferment from the mason jar after its been in room temps for a while.

Re: the commercial yeast being killed off - I initially started off doing this method, but by also adding in store-bought yeast just in case mine wouldn't work. What I think happened was that one or the other took over (the store bought probably won) and just nothing much in as far as additional taste or crumb was being added. In fact, it was rising slower, too, since I wasn't putting in as much store bought yeast. Finally I decided to just go with the dough I had saved... and it works. Many posts ago I wrote it up, and Levain replied to it, and he guessed it right that I let the initial saved dough sit out on the counter for a good while to get the first 'sour' part in there.

Mambo Dave screwed with this post 01-07-2013 at 09:35 PM
Mambo Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:12 AM   #750
Mr. Fisherman
Ray soon to be AWAY!
 
Mr. Fisherman's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Packing the bus!
Oddometer: 10,499
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
Thanks, lol.

It differs greatly with the flour I actually buy. In post 723 I tried a new flour that is giving me great results... for what I put into it. But I've been screwing up lately and haven't been able to get the crust I had about ten loaves ago (it looks like a great crust from pics, but really isn't after a few hours). I cook it in between two cast iron skillets... and don't ever even try to put a cut across the top with a knife anymore, so it's just not worth picturing... but I'm using the 4 cups flour, 1 teaspoon salt, 2 cups (give or take) warm water plus the dough/starter/pre-ferment from the mason jar after its been in room temps for a while.

Re: the commercial yeast being killed off - I initially started off doing this method, but by also adding in store-bought yeast just in case mine wouldn't work. What I think happened was that one or the other took over (the store bought probably won) and just nothing much in as far as additional taste or crumb was being added. In fact, it was rising slower, too, since I wasn't putting in as much store bought yeast. Finally I decided to just go with the dough I had saved... and it works. Many posts ago I wrote it up, and Levain replied to it, and he guessed it right that I let the initial saved dough sit out on the counter for a good while to get the first 'sour' part in there.

How long is "a good while"?

I'd like to try this. I think I will...
Mr. Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014