ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: Would you consider participating in a group buy?
Yes, if the price is right. 13 86.67%
No, these cartridges are way to expensive. 0 0%
No, USD forks will work so much better 2 13.33%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-08-2013, 01:25 AM   #841
Kokopelli OP
Yeah, right!

Oddometer: 4,597
The inserts have now been thoroughly tested. While I am not the best suspension tester around, I have a reasonable idea of what I like.

The front feels very planted on the road. It is firm, but still suck up what it needs to. However, I have not bought them for the road, I've bought them for stuff like this.

On very undulated tracks with cross ruts and the odd step, I was able to go pretty fast (well faster than I would have before). A few times I was caught out be unexpected holes or steps and was expecting trouble, but the suspension just dealt with it. Not once did it bottom out.

We went along some dry riverbeds with gravel that looked like sand. I was very happy the way the bike tracked and it was very stable at speed. Of course you still get the initial wobble while starting and stopping, but I don't think that's suspension related.

I have already forgotten how much I paid for the cartridges, but the grin on my face is still there.
Kokopelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:49 AM   #842
Box'a'bits
In need of repair

Oddometer: 2,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokopelli View Post
I have already forgotten how much I paid for the cartridges, but the grin on my face is still there.
Then it was absolutely worth it. Top job...

It's just better when there's twins involved....
Box'a'bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:40 PM   #843
akabeton
Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
I'm Happy.

I have had the bike out on the road a couple of times.

My initial observations are positive. I can feel quite an improvement compared to the stock set up.

As soon as the weather improves, I'll have a chance to ride some off road conditions, that will be a more realistic test.

Happy with the product.

The install was easy ( with help from Erland , Thanks again. )

The hardest part was trying to figure out where to put the stickers.

Old 04-25-2013, 07:22 AM   #844
akabeton
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobz View Post
Does anyone happen to have 4.8 springs that they're not using?

I purchased an 89 GS with the inserts and I'm working on setting em up. I'm shorter/lighter than the PO and he only had the heavy spring.
You could PM OneLessHarley?
Old 10-01-2013, 01:44 AM   #845
Phreaky Phil
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,733
Just thought I wold bump this thread.
Interested in long term feedback on these kits. Just how good are they.? How would they compare to a set of late model forks with the same travel ? I guess in theory they should be as good
What did you think of the quality of manufacture. ?
Cheers guys
Phreaky Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 10:08 AM   #846
akabeton
Adventurer

Very satisfied

I have been very happy so far.

I set them up as HH suggested and have had no problems in any riding conditions.

I have not made too many adjustments, simply because I don't understand the complexities of this simple system

When do I need more rebound or less compression ?
Old 10-01-2013, 10:46 AM   #847
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,426
Quote:
Originally Posted by akabeton View Post
When do I need more rebound or less compression ?
More rebound damping if you feel any bouncy pogo feeling. Less rebound if you find the forks "packing" or bottoming out due to not being able to rebound fast enough to absorb subsequent impacts.

More compression damping if you experience excessive brake dive or find yourself bottoming out too frequently despite correct spring weight and preload. Less compression damping if you feel excessive harshness on sharper impacts or if you notice that your forks (sprung and preloaded correctly) are not utilizing a enough of their potential travel.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 06:46 PM   #848
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,710
Mine are working out really well. They're a damn sight better than my xr250 forks, i'll give them that
Old 10-02-2013, 02:13 AM   #849
Phreaky Phil
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,733
Thanks guys, I had a big ride on the Beemer for the first time in a long time last weekend and what was clear was how shite the suspension is. The rear was harsh but that has a heavy spring for two up riding so thats an easy fix. The forks however won't be so easy and after the DRZ forks of my DR650 they aren't good. I have two options, keep and modify the Beemer ones or change them. Fitting the cartridge kits is probably the cheaper of the two as changing them out will require new clamps ( if you want to retain steering lock ) The Beemer forks are very rigid with the fork brace so changing them for bigger ones won't benefit in that aspect (in fact if you turn the front wheel against the steering stop and twist it further, there is more movement in my DRZ 49mm forks ) and I'm not tall enough to be able to have much longer travel. So the cartridge kits may be my best option.
I see the damping adjusters knobs that were on the original kits aren't on these kits. Shame would be cool to be able to adjust them on the fly.
Cheers Phil
Phreaky Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 03:19 AM   #850
advNZer?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,793
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phreaky Phil View Post
Thanks guys, I had a big ride on the Beemer for the first time in a long time last weekend and what was clear was how shite the suspension is. The rear was harsh but that has a heavy spring for two up riding so thats an easy fix. The forks however won't be so easy and after the DRZ forks of my DR650 they aren't good. I have two options, keep and modify the Beemer ones or change them. Fitting the cartridge kits is probably the cheaper of the two as changing them out will require new clamps ( if you want to retain steering lock ) The Beemer forks are very rigid with the fork brace so changing them for bigger ones won't benefit in that aspect (in fact if you turn the front wheel against the steering stop and twist it further, there is more movement in my DRZ 49mm forks ) and I'm not tall enough to be able to have much longer travel. So the cartridge kits may be my best option.
I see the damping adjusters knobs that were on the original kits aren't on these kits. Shame would be cool to be able to adjust them on the fly.
Cheers Phil
I have a set with adjustors that I might part with.i got the heavier springs cos of the extra fuel the pd carries,never installed
Old 10-02-2013, 03:40 AM   #851
Ras Thurlo
Desert Lion

Oddometer: 606
I bought 2 sets both with the stiffer spring (5.8?) one to go on my city 100GS and one for my farm-hack 80GS.

At the time HH said the stiffer spring was better even for the off-road 80GS, because of the extra weight in an HPN tank.

For my city ride I have really liked them, and bike now handles totally competently as a road ride.

But never got into them for the dirt bike as I found them too stiff, so swapped them out almost immediately for Marzocchi Magnum forks and have never looked back. However, I think this says more about what I want out of the 80GS than a fair appraisal of the cartridges.
Ras Thurlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 06:19 AM   #852
a_bakla
A&F

Oddometer: 120
hhracetech cartidge oil level-viscosity

A friend of mine bought HHracetech cartidges for his 1993 r80gs. Order came without mounting instruction. Any one have this instruction ? I wonder oil level and viscosity of each fork leg. is there any other detail for mounting ?
Thanks
a_bakla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 07:46 AM   #853
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,710
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_bakla View Post
A friend of mine bought HHracetech cartidges for his 1993 r80gs. Order came without mounting instruction. Any one have this instruction ? I wonder oil level and viscosity of each fork leg. is there any other detail for mounting ?
Thanks
I thought it was in the 400ml range. Close to stock, but you didn't need different amounts. Oil weight was light, like 5-7w. I would probably use 7 and 400 as good numbers to try.
Old 07-09-2014, 09:37 AM   #854
akabeton
Adventurer

+1

akabeton screwed with this post 07-09-2014 at 09:42 AM
akabeton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 09:41 AM   #855
akabeton
Adventurer

Good luck

Everything comes out.
Everything goes in.

I used 5w. ( no problems )

400-420 ml sounds right.

If you need the instructions, I may have them somewhere.