Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2013, 06:38 PM   #16
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,339
Glad you like it. If it is 7 hours shop time to do the valves, that's over $1000 here. $100 hr labor, plus marked up parts and shop supplies, plus tax. I figure a new one would last at least 100,000 miles, so that's $4000 in valves alone. If that were over 25-30 years, it wouldn't be so bad, but most dealers around here won't work on a bike over 10 years old. One neat thing about the Majesty is that it has been around a while, and is still here for 2013, so even an older model should still be current. I have a 2002 Kawasaki motorcycle, but it was made through 2006 completely unchanged so parts will be available for a few years yet, and they should be available for quite some time on the online parts places.

I do find it somewhat disturbing how fast maxi scooters depreciate. Great if you are buying used, not so great if you buy new. I'm not to crazy about buying a used vehicle if I plan to ride it all around the country. I have seen to many that were never maintained, many that were abused, and worse yet, many that were modified. I have never modified the engine/drivetrain on a street motorcycle/scooter. If you are going to rack up a lot of miles, it's reliability over everything else for me.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:01 PM   #17
creighta
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
I bought a 2008 w 7600 mi last year an love it. I cruise with others on swings and keep up fine. Good to 105 mph indicated and gets 60 mpg every tank. I bought mine BC everyone claimed they were one of the most reliable bikes made. Fwiw wife says the pillion is real uncomfortable and she likes the helix clone better, but the majesty 400 hits a sweet spot for performance and economy.

Have not researched valves, but this bike seems to come apart easy for maintenance and other yamahas I have had have been pretty easy for valve work.

I think plastic scares people and shops take advantage of it by charging extra to work on scoots.
creighta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:21 AM   #18
braindigitalis
Wet weather sucks!

Oddometer: 78
I haven't ridden the newer higher power majesty but my first scoot was a majesty YP125. It was a great scoot, and i went all over the UK on it. It was a proper workhorse, and could run for hours and hours at 60mph without complaint, it was comfortable to ride on, and cornered really well. It handled dirt and potholes as well as can be expected for a small wheeled scoot, and if the 2004 is anything as nice as the 1999 i'd buy one in a heartbeat if i had the money.

I don't know if this is an issue on the higher powered maj, but on my 125 (which majestyusa seem oblivious of even existing) i paid the price by taking mine to a clueless place to be fixed. After a 400 mile ride it started leaking oil out of the airbox. It turned out that the piston rings had gone, and after months of being in and out of the shop at great expense to me, it finally seized up due to the true nature of the issue not being noticed and me not being technical enough myself to fix it at home.
Don't let me sob story put you off though as mine was an old beater (1999 model!) and likely to fail sooner rather than later as i'd put 10,000 miles on it...

I hope my information is of some use from someone that rode a majesty for almost two years even if i didn't ride exactly the same model :-)
braindigitalis is offline   Reply With Quote