Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2013, 11:31 AM   #1561
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Nice job on the welds ... I hope they hold up for another 78K miles!

Big Kudos Jay, you've kept going one of the most interesting and educational ride reports ... EVER ... on ADV Rider.

For over two years your report has brought joy, hope and inspiration to us all.
Quite rare among the mostly mediocre reports we see here. We can ALL learn a lot from you Jay ... not only about travel and DR650's ... but about life .... and Values! You really should be joining the diplomatic ranks and share your talents ... to help repair our reputation world wide.

Continued safe travels and much JOY in the new year!
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:04 PM   #1562
OldPete
Be aware

Oddometer: 4,700
Good update and as others have stated, I have learned much from your pics & posts Jay.

Glad to see the inside was taken care of on the frame repair.
Google images of fish plate frame repair. That's the right way.

Gotta leave the house for awhile but will order 2 t-shirts on my return.
rtwpaul posted a pic of himself wearing one in his RR.
edit: shipping costs had me just donate what the cost would be...

OldPete screwed with this post 01-03-2013 at 04:50 PM Reason: noted
OldPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:14 PM   #1563
TK-LA
SoCal Rider

Oddometer: 572
Franken-DRina

With all the cracks and repairs I think she's become a Franken-DRina.
2007 Suzuki GS500f - Don't underestimate (and don't take it in loose rocks!)
2004 Suzuki LS650 "Savage" - Either stolen or ran away from home.
TK-LA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:21 AM   #1564
Jammin OP
Living on a DR

Oddometer: 1,535
@chilango13: yup, traveling is a great mode of learning the lessons of life cause everything seems more immediate. This journey has definitely made me a better person, better suited now to tackle the challenges of 'life'

@ADV Grifter: thanks, bud :cheers you know I couldn't have done all this without support from guys like you who have been following all along and giving me encouragement and ideas to help solve issues. I'm looking forward to where I'll go next after this trip...

@OldPete: thanks very much for the donation :cheers Much thanks to rtwpaul

@TK-LA: haha, I think sanDRina likes that name. I've had other bikers say she has a mad-max look about her, haha, proud of the old franken-DR that I've created and nurtured

Trip Website: JamminGlobal.com
Current Ride Report: Global South | Past Trips: CDR '09, Alaska '08, Mexico '07 | YouTube Videos
Jammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:23 AM   #1565
Jammin OP
Living on a DR

January 5, 2013

They have really big deer in Namibia

Smooth crossing from Zambia into Namibia across the Zambezi. The border posts revealed that I was moving into a more developed country now and also a much less-densely populated one. There're only 2 million people in the whole of Namibia, so lots of empty space, like along the narrow Caprivi Strip that I crossed today. Fun to see Elephant Crossing signs but I only saw their dung

I was dodging rain storms all day and doning my rain gear kept the rain away. Camping on the banks of the Okavango River with Angola on the other shore, near Rundu.

Current Ride Report: Global South | Past Trips: CDR '09, Alaska '08, Mexico '07 | YouTube Videos
Old 01-05-2013, 03:07 PM   #1566
GSF1200S
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 976
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammin View Post
Frame Saga Continued...

In the previous post, I could only weld the outer cracks that were easily reachable but thankfully, I met Pete (thru ADV) and he's from Milwaukee, doing mission work here in southern Zambia. He's incharge of the garage here at their base and he's also got lots of experience as a chassis welder. He started inspecting sanDRina's cracks and saw that they went around the back just as much as they did on the front, so I spent a few hours prepping the bike to get her properly welded. Swingarm and shock removed, electricals cleared away, airbox and carb removed.

Pete did a great job and put an extra plate on the inside of the swingarm-bolt-area cracks. He got all the cracks that he could see and now I'm confident taking sanDRina through northwest Namibia, supposed to be really rough roads and epic riding

View from inside the frame looking to the left, before and after welding.
Damn Jay, Ive heard of DRs getting some subframe cracks, but your cracks are intense!

Go hard or stay home right? At least when your trip is over, you can know you didnt hold back!
GSF1200S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:13 PM   #1567
Jammin OP
Living on a DR

January 7, 2013

Storms in Africa...

A thunderstorm approaching from Namibia and heading across the placid Okavango River to Angola on the right. The lightning was spectacular and I felt the thunder in my bones. The Okavango is slowly rising as it rains in the Angolan highlands and after a couple hundred kilometers, it'll empty out into the Okavango Delta in Botswana.

I've headed southwest and I'm camping under a rancher's tree outside of Grootfontein, where I'll pick up some bike spares and supplies before heading northwest to Kaokoveld, a rugged wilderness.

Old 01-07-2013, 03:48 PM   #1568
badguy
Susan

Oddometer: 1,677
I finally got a chance to catch up with your travels...great job making it through all the little setbacks! You have a huge amount of patience and amazing experiences to show for it. Thanks again for sharing them with us!
2. To ignore an event until the last minute so as to avoid any expectations of attendance, but then show up anyway.
badguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:55 AM   #1569
TK-LA
SoCal Rider

Oddometer: 572
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSF1200S View Post
Damn Jay, Ive heard of DRs getting some subframe cracks, but your cracks are intense!

Go hard or stay home right? At least when your trip is over, you can know you didnt hold back!

"Crack"? Well, if the Grand Canyon is a crack, then yes.
2007 Suzuki GS500f - Don't underestimate (and don't take it in loose rocks!)
2004 Suzuki LS650 "Savage" - Either stolen or ran away from home.
TK-LA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:44 AM   #1570
Jammin OP
Living on a DR

January 11, 2013

The Himba mama at the community campsite at Ruacana inspecting the spice shaker that I just gave her. She was preparing a meal of potatoes and maize porridge and was excited to add some piri-piri (chilli powder) to her food. That spice shaker has traveled with me since Chicago and I've hardly used it since I started carrying spices that my mother sent me, so it should be more useful to this Himba mama than me

...spreading eudaimonia thru curry diplomacy...

The Himba are a nomadic and pastoralist people living in Namibia's Kaokoland, a sparse semi-desertic mountainland. They have kept to their traditional way of life, due to their isolation and are known for the red ochre mixture that they rub into their skin and braided hair. It's supposed to protect them from the sun and rain. They don't wear much clothing, except for loin clothes and I felt over-dressed around her. They decorate themselves with necklaces and ankle bracelets that also protect them from snake bites.

I've been having a good ride through Kaokoland, but it rained very heavily over the last two days and some roads have been washed out, so I'm not heading too deep into the wilderness. I dropped the bike yesterday while crossing a rocky river and passing Himba men helped me pick her up. That's the first drop in water and I hope the last. Camping next to Epupa Falls was rewarding and now I'm on a hilltop outside Opuwo, the largest town in the area. Heading south...

Old 01-11-2013, 10:48 AM   #1571
salcar
Riding 4 Health

Oddometer: 1,078
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammin View Post
Nice Let's see if we can time a meet up.
Hi Jammin,

I finally arrived in Cape Town today and I got the bike out of customs. I'm not sure on our plans yet but hopefully we get to cross paths.

All the best,
Salvador
Old 01-12-2013, 10:59 AM   #1572
Jammin OP
Living on a DR

January 12, 2013

Ouch, got stung by a scorpion :(

While packing up this morning, I picked up my tent and this little guy stung me on my left middle finger, right at the first knuckle. I felt a sensation slowly moving up my arm and realized the venom was spreading up my nerves. I jumped in the truck of neighboring German campers and they drove me to the hospital in town. The nurses were not hurried and told me to first fill in my details. By this time, the sensation was at my shoulder. After the bureaucracy was taken care off, they finally gave me some injections that dulled the pain and stopped the venom from spreading. Phew. (For the medically-minded, they gave me injections of promethazine hcl and hydrocortisone sodium succinate.)

After laying down for a few hours, I walked back to camp. My arm is fine but the middle finger still hurts and is numb from the local anasthesia; one-hand typing sucks :/ I'll stay here until the left hand feels normal again as that's my clutch hand... or I might have to rig up a way to operate the clutch without my hand ;)

Old 01-12-2013, 11:11 AM   #1573
WeazyBuddha
Carbon-Based Humanoid

Oddometer: 4,586
Yikes!!!

Glad you had that taken care of, middle finger too...the most valued finger of all inmates.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:55 AM   #1574
LXIV-Dragon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 605
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Nice job on the welds ... I hope they hold up for another 78K miles!

Big Kudos Jay, you've kept going one of the most interesting and educational ride reports ... EVER ... on ADV Rider.

For over two years your report has brought joy, hope and inspiration to us all.
Quite rare among the mostly mediocre reports we see here. We can ALL learn a lot from you Jay ... not only about travel and DR650's ... but about life .... and Values! You really should be joining the diplomatic ranks and share your talents ... to help repair our reputation world wide.

Continued safe travels and much JOY in the new year!
Not too sure this could be stated any better!

I would only like to add that your photos are breathtaking! Without out any doubt the best subscribed thread on my list! TYS!

'07 Suzuki DR650SE - '06 - '03 Ducati 999 '13 Husqvarna TE449
2011 TAT; No Reservations
LXIV-Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:22 AM   #1575
Jammin OP
Living on a DR

January 15, 2013

Left hand is A-OK
I had a great ride today, covering 340 kms from Opuwo thru the highlands around Sesfontein and then thru the desert country around Palmwag and a beautiful end thru the canyonlands around Khorixas. The landscape reminded me a lot of southwest Utah and northern Arizona. Easy riding on the well-graded gravel roads and sanDRina's taking the abuse well over the corrugations. Camping in the desert near Twyfelfontein and time to prepare dinner