Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-24-2012, 02:04 PM   #31
CaptTeach
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 209
WAAAYYYYY Back when I raced BMX and actually had to train, I kept a few dollars in the cross bar pad on the handlebars. Just enough to get a gatorade or two. kinda doubt you are running a cross bar pad though.

96 Heritage Softail Classic
89 XT 600
71 CB 200 Cafe Racer
70 CL 100
63 Sporty XLCH
CaptTeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 02:11 PM   #32
ragtoplvr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,854
I stash in several locations. 2 spare keys too.

Rod
ragtoplvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:31 PM   #33
Fast103
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by InDenial View Post
I'm making a trip to Alaska and wondering where I can keep my cash. On my bike or on my body? Wondering what you have done in the past.
Ok so now the bad guys know where you stash your cash! Good going!
Fast103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:01 PM   #34
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Oddometer: 7,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast103 View Post
Ok so now the bad guys know where you stash your cash! Good going!
Shhh... don't tell the new guy that 200,000 people are monitoring this site.
Old 01-09-2013, 02:40 PM   #35
mtncrawler
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,070
On my solo 3 wk trip to Mex/Baja last year, I bagged about 1500 pesos into two baggies. I then removed each small tank body panel on my R1200GSA, and taped it underneath and re-installed. Only came in handy once, as I was able to manage mostly using ATM's. If I remember correctly, I had small stash with ID copies underneath the tool tray too.

I totally agree with most others too - inside US/Canada - I wouldn't have a worry and would not stash or hide $$.
"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us." Robert Louis Stevenson
mtncrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:19 PM   #36
Mr. G
Normal Dude

Oddometer: 1,684
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtncrawler View Post
On my solo 3 wk trip to Mex/Baja last year, I bagged about 1500 pesos into two baggies.
What's that???

About a dollar thirty eight ($1.38)

Then, while at WFO on my way up a dune, I understood. It was like the heavens opened up and I heard the voices of Angels.
Shortly afterward, I heard the voice of God. He said, and I quote, "Dumbass."
Mr. G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:26 PM   #37
mtncrawler
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,070
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. G View Post
What's that???

About a dollar thirty eight ($1.38)
Yes, if you give me 1500 MX pesos, I'll be glad to give you $1.38 USD.... Hell, I'll round it up to $5.00!
"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us." Robert Louis Stevenson
mtncrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:34 PM   #38
panhead rick
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
WTF hasent any one here seen the first few minutes of easyrider
panhead rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:51 AM   #39
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Oddometer: 7,818
I've never seen "Easy Rider."
Old 01-10-2013, 06:38 AM   #40
Mr. G
Normal Dude

Oddometer: 1,684
Quote:
Originally Posted by panhead rick View Post
WTF hasent any one here seen the first few minutes of easyrider

They didn't have the shitty gas full of ethanol that we are forced to use today.

Today's gas probably would have melted the cash stash in Easy Rider.

Then, while at WFO on my way up a dune, I understood. It was like the heavens opened up and I heard the voices of Angels.
Shortly afterward, I heard the voice of God. He said, and I quote, "Dumbass."
Mr. G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:18 PM   #41
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
The guys that say to use your plastic are absolutely right. When traveling outside of the USA I make sure that I have two accounts and multiple cards, just in case. I have seen accounts get shut off because the computer detected "abnormal" traveling so it's nice to have a backup.

I used to carry travelers checks but after a bad experience with AMEX in Mexico I gave up on that.

Stash your cash in at least 3 places - wallet, bike, and luggage. Keep plastic and some cash on your person in case you get separated from your bike.

Money belts work. So do wallets on a strap around your neck. That is where I usually carry my passport and extra ID and some cash.

Good luck!
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 11:43 PM   #42
azshtr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn View Post
The guys that say to use your plastic are absolutely right. When traveling outside of the USA I make sure that I have two accounts and multiple cards, just in case. I have seen accounts get shut off because the computer detected "abnormal" traveling so it's nice to have a backup.

I used to carry travelers checks but after a bad experience with AMEX in Mexico I gave up on that.

Stash your cash in at least 3 places - wallet, bike, and luggage. Keep plastic and some cash on your person in case you get separated from your bike.

Money belts work. So do wallets on a strap around your neck. That is where I usually carry my passport and extra ID and some cash.

Good luck!
Notify your bank you are leaving the country
Old 06-23-2013, 01:50 AM   #43
FinlandThumper
Has Cake/Eats it Too

Oddometer: 6,968
I usually keep it in two places, one in a more obvious pocket and one more hidden but always on me or in a hotel safe. The bike is not secure enough, but I do tend to keep an emergency stash of 50-100 euro under the seat, on the principle that I am normally close e ough to home to be able to get home with this much gas money in the event of total robbery.

The key to my philosophy is that the first wallet should have small bills and maybe one card in it. Like the other guy that travelled to drc, I have spent time in Africa and this is a good strategy. This way if they rob you, you give them a plausible looking wallet with a card. They are in a hurry so leave with it, and the lions share of the money remains with me. All of my colleagues in the foreign travel business eschew the money belt for this strategy, simply because thieves always know about money belts...it's pretty cliche really so it's not a safe bet.

I have never actually been robbed seriously, except having been mugged in Paris when in college, but there the hotel safe strategy meant I was only out 20 dollars and a cheap wallet. But I have had people try to mess with the bike, and have come back to see things just slightly disturbed. Thus I wouldn't leave anything of value on the bike in a risk area
FinlandThumper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 09:18 AM   #44
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinlandThumper View Post
. All of my colleagues in the foreign travel business eschew the money belt for this strategy, simply because thieves always know about money belts...it's pretty cliche really so it's not a safe bet.

I always remember a movie where a working girl drugs and robs a guy. The very first thing that she does is to whip his belt off to see if it's a money belt.

With that said, I wear one daily. It's pretty hard to pick pocket a money belt unless you have your pants down.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 06:16 PM   #45
Witold
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 661
You're going to Alaska.... Via Canada... I don't see why you need to hide cash anywhere. You know there are ATMs all over the place. And Canada isn't exactly a 3rd world gang infested dump like a big chunk of South America.

I wouldn't worry about it at all.

But for other places, you want to spread you cash around. Hide it in many places. Same with important documents and copies of important documents. You don't want to be reliant on any one stash and screwed if you lose that one stash.
Witold is offline   Reply With Quote