Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-08-2013, 11:16 AM   #1
Psycho18th OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 331
From Glendale to crown king on the DRZ

Had a great solo day trip yesterday. Left my house in the west valley about 0830 and it was brisk for AZ, maybe 40 degrees if that. Ran pavement until just outside new river, then followed some pipeline and power line roads parallel and under I-17. Some really nice hill climbs and one tricky step up into a tunnel under I-17. Here's a view outside black canyon city.

I hit a couple miles of pavement in black canyon city, then headed out Maggie Mine rd, eventually meeting up with the crown king road. This is where the ride gets adventurous. I had tried this rout this summer, but got rained out and almost stranded. You can read that one here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=808966

The water level was much lower this time around, nothing more than about 9 inches deep at the crossings from some snowmelt up on the bradshaws.

There were more rocks to come. I did run across a group of about 10 havalina. You can make out the face of one staring at the camera here:

Los of rocks, wet from the crossings, with areas of deep sand between. These are a couple of the rockier sections.:

There was a lot of dried grass up there, making me think of rattlers everywhere, though its a bit cold for them this time of year.

I eventually made my way to Cleator, then headed north.
The scary part to follow...
02 SUZ JR50 and 00 YAM TTR 90 (kids' bikes)
89 Lockheed F-16C (Work vehicle )
Psycho18th is offline   Reply With Quote