ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: Which option should I go with?
Option 1 5 100.00%
Option 2 0 0%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-02-2013, 07:49 AM   #16
worwig
Lost in Georgia

Oddometer: 1,059
Quote:
Originally Posted by SantaFeTrailer View Post
Has anyone experimented with a shade?
I made a shade for my phone. I was wanting to shade it from sunlight AND provide a little bit of water/dust proofing, while leaving the screen totally exposed to me.
I used a very thin black plastic and formed an enclosure that went over my RAM finger grip mount. It ended up not really being deep enough to protect or shade the phone, and it was hideously huge. Plus the thin plastic that I used flopped around too much in the wind. Fail....

I haven't totally given up on the idea though.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:39 AM   #17
jprovence
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
We need a tough IPX7 rated polycarbonate with Gorilla glass overlaying the touchscreen and a wired power and audio ports. A case with a cradle perhaps like the Garmin Montana with the charging pins. I have the Rugged mount and I love how the pins allow easy docking and good weather resistance.

On the heat note, I'd be willing to bet an aluminum case conducts more heat to the phone then a plastic case. The glass needs to be UV resistant as well.
jprovence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:15 AM   #18
worwig
Lost in Georgia

Quote:
Originally Posted by jprovence View Post
On the heat note, I'd be willing to bet an aluminum case conducts more heat to the phone then a plastic case. The glass needs to be UV resistant as well.
I think you will find two issues here.
One is that the phone itself generates a fair amount of heat, particularly when being charged and the screen turn up to overcome sunlight. So you need to get the heat OUT of the box.
The other is sun shining into the the box through the opening. Like sunlight into a car window, then being trapped inside. Again you need to get the heat OUT of the box.

I suspect aluminum would conduct the heat out to the cool breeze blowing over it much better then plastic. But then it may also kill the GPS and data radios too. :)
Old 01-02-2013, 10:53 AM   #19
jprovence
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by worwig View Post
I think you will find two issues here.
One is that the phone itself generates a fair amount of heat, particularly when being charged and the screen turn up to overcome sunlight. So you need to get the heat OUT of the box.
The other is sun shining into the the box through the opening. Like sunlight into a car window, then being trapped inside. Again you need to get the heat OUT of the box.

I suspect aluminum would conduct the heat out to the cool breeze blowing over it much better then plastic. But then it may also kill the GPS and data radios too. :)
The aluminum would have to be in direct contact to serve as a heat sink.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:01 AM   #20
worwig
Lost in Georgia

Quote:
The aluminum would have to be in direct contact to serve as a heat sink.
No.

Do you have to be touching the aluminum fins on your AC unit to be cooled down?
Old 01-02-2013, 01:05 PM   #21
jprovence
Adventurer

Thermal transfer from the phone to the case would have to be in direct contact for it to be as effective as we want. Think of a CPU cooler. The cooler is in direct contact of the chip(ie the phone.) thermal energy transfer is very inefficient through the air space inside the case so the case would have to be touching the phone to act as a heat sink.

When I was thinking of a polycarbonate case, I was hinging on insulating the phone from heat, which it does. But doesn't allow it to vent. Aluminum on the other hand will pull heat from the phone if designed properly, but at the same time is conductive from the envioment since you are effectivly putting the phone inside a waterproof greenhouse.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:10 PM   #22
jbhawley
WTF- Gus?

Oddometer: 424
I use the Ram X Mount and carry my iPhone in an Otterbox defender case. The X mounts securely holds the phone and the otterbox. Being OCD as I am, I added a circle piece of velcro on the back of the case and the center portion (pivot) of the X mount. This gives me the piece of mind that the phone will not fall off easily. I have a J&M adapter that allows me to charge the phone from the bike's battery while traveling. I can see the phone clearly in all but direct sunlight. The Otterbox also gives a bit of relief on the occasional run thru rain shower, especially behind a windshield. I also use the Aerostich Elkskin ropers with the metallic threads so I can operate the phone with gloves.

Disclaimer - I have all this set up on a Honda Goldwing, and this allows me to listen to the iPhone tunes, podcast, etc via the intercom/speakers in my helmet. I can also take or make phone calls with my helmet on as the phone is paired bluetooth with the J&M Adapter. I generally try not to talk on the phone while riding. If I do get a call, I will pull over to the side of the road or a driveway.

I can post some pics if anyone is interested. The J&M adapter that I mentioned is specifically designed to plug-n-play with the Goldwing wiring so it is useless on any other bike. I am sure J&M has other options for different bikes.

"All the inconvenience and sweat and discomfort of body armor suddenly pales when you're sliding comfortably down the highway on all fours." -ghostdncr
jbhawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:13 PM   #23
mountainpete
Outdoor use only

Oddometer: 19
Wait... Otterbox is releasing their new Armor series waterproof, crush proof, dust proof iPhone cases on January 8. Might give you one more option.
mountainpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:37 PM   #24
jprovence
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainpete View Post
Wait... Otterbox is releasing their new Armor series waterproof, crush proof, dust proof iPhone cases on January 8. Might give you one more option.
will it have a way to mount it to stuff?

After CES, we should have a few more options on cases and options for the iphone 5.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:11 PM   #25
mountainpete
Outdoor use only

Oddometer: 19
Quote:
will it have a way to mount it to stuff?

After CES, we should have a few more options on cases and options for the iphone 5.
Don't know. But it's worth waiting a few days to find out.

You're right - it's all about CES which is Jan 8 - 11. There will be a lot more iPhone 5 options soon.
mountainpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:13 PM   #26
SantaFeTrailer
Stromtrooper

Oddometer: 307
http://www.otterbox.com/armor-series...MTczNjI3NDg0S0
SantaFeTrailer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:29 PM   #27
mpatch
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 862
Quote:
Originally Posted by SantaFeTrailer View Post

after watching a few vids of the new otterbox armor it looks like they copied the lifeproof design only they used a hinge/latch system vs snap together of the lifeproof and rubber plugs for the charging and headphone ports vs the lifeproofs gasketed door and screw in plug, it also looks larger and cost about $20 more than the lifeproof
mpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:18 AM   #28
bobnoxious67
Baby steps...

Oddometer: 2,445
Quote:
Originally Posted by worwig View Post
No.

Do you have to be touching the aluminum fins on your AC unit to be cooled down?
No...but the air that's actually cooling you down does
09 TE450
bobnoxious67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:28 AM   #29
bobnoxious67
Baby steps...

Oddometer: 2,445
LifeProof/Ram universal PDA finger mount user here. I off road a lot, with plenty of dirt naps...never lose the phone
09 TE450
bobnoxious67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:51 PM   #30
jprovence
Adventurer

My money is going to be on Hitcase. They showed their case at CES today with just one picture on their Facebook and a comment about March 1st release. So a little more then a month away. I'm fairly confident its cold enough I could still charge and ride in the rain and not overheat the phone inside the case. Plus it would be cool to shoot video with the wide angle attachement.