User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2013, 06:42 AM   #1
jacoba331 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Totaled GSA help!!

On my ride to work this morning ('06 1200 GSA) I low-sided over some ice and the curb ripped off my left valve cover/bent forks/destroyed front wheel/mangled crash bars/ bent handlebars/ broken fairing.

What are your experiences with claiming?

We're you able to negotiate the actual value of the bike opposed to KBB value with the agent?

Any tips people can give me would be great. I would like to possibly buy the bike back and part it out or fix it with used parts.

Just a reminder to NEVER ride without armor. I would have a broken arm and shoulder if I wasn't wearing gear. Thankfully I am fine. God is good.

Thx
Old 01-08-2013, 06:59 AM   #2
viperh
StormChaser

Oddometer: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacoba331 View Post
On my ride to work this morning ('06 1200 GSA) I low-sided over some ice and the curb ripped off my left valve cover/bent forks/destroyed front wheel/mangled crash bars/ bent handlebars/ broken fairing.

What are your experiences with claiming?

We're you able to negotiate the actual value of the bike opposed to KBB value with the agent?

Any tips people can give me would be great. I would like to possibly buy the bike back and part it out or fix it with used parts.

Just a reminder to NEVER ride without armor. I would have a broken arm and shoulder if I wasn't wearing gear. Thankfully I am fine. God is good.

Thx
First off, Glad you're ok.

I've not ever been able to argue actual costs. I have a friend who has been successful at it. I have been able to argue a few hundred over NADA and not KBB. Good luck!
viperh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:34 AM   #3
cliffy109
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,579
I totalled a 2007 GSA and was able to negotiate a bit. Make sure you document the options that are on the bike, including ABS, trip computer, fog lights and things like that. Those were options and they should be added to the value of the bike. Ask your dealer to give you a print out of the options based on your VIN.

Also, get a list of farkles and print out web prices for each.

My claim ended up $3000 higher than the original offer and they really didn't argue with me.
cliffy109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:35 AM   #4
go4mini
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
My '94 R1100RSL was totaled in May-2012. The at-fault party's adjuster made a low ball offer. I researched value at two BMW dealers, and gave him the info. He then found (3) bikes, similarly equipped, newer, lower mileage, on Cycle Trader and offered me the average asked for (not selling) price, which came very close to what the dealers had quoted. He did comment how nice my bike was, and made up some of the value in the cost of helmet, jacket, GPS, etc. He said that I was pleasant to deal with, and that he could be more flexible with the accessories. I think most people think their bike (or whatever) is worth more than it really is. But, stick to your guns, and try to recover as much as you can. The company I delt with was Progressive, and the adjuster was a biker. Hope you weren't hurt badly.
go4mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:49 AM   #5
TheRoss
IBA, BMWMOA

Oddometer: 311
Glad you came through it.

Don't forget to claim your helmet..... your very expensive Arai helmet...... which did get a scratch on it somewhere from the fall...... Insurance companies do not bicker about paying for things like helmets.

For the record... I am not encouraging insurance fraud. I'm just saying, don't leave money on the table.

2012 R1200GSA, 1985 K100RS, 1975 R90/6

TheRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:20 AM   #6
jdbalt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
Insurance

First off, we are all glad you are OK. If you can gather all of the documentation from your purchases. Write down everything, or put it in a spread sheet. Then research the cost to replace. I would never wear a helmet again that went through a crash. Remember to put down all of the clothing as well. You can negotiate, but you have to document everything.

Pre-crash, or pre-theft it is a very good thing to have a walk around video even on a phone of your home/car/motorcycle/gear. Do you have a list of all of the electronics/computers/ipads/phones? Good thing to have in a situation like this.

The most important things are this. You were not hurt, and when it is all done you get to go shopping for a new ride!
jdbalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:20 AM   #7
scooteraug02
Dog Rancher

Oddometer: 4,259
check Faceplant It has been covered a lot there.

A friend had a crash. He was offered a value based on the KBB or NADA. They didn't budge much from that. That was step one. Step two was gear and accessories. Step three was any medical issues.

This doesn't help much now but one way to avoid accidents is to say no. Don't ride when it is icy. I know it is macho to ride everywhere in any weather but a motorcycle and most cars have no defense in ICE.

When I got my first GSA in 03 I thought I could do anything. I thought riding at night was safer because everyone can see a light at night. Then I read about guys hitting deer at night or someone losing a 6x6 railroad tie off their vehicle at night leaving it on an on ramp. Deer don't stand in the road. They shoot at you from 90 degrees off. You hit ice you go down asap.

Hope all works out.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:46 AM   #8
vfrpilot
Stress Relief Rider

Oddometer: 649
I totaled my 2012 GSA last July. There are no set answers. A lot has to do with what state that you're in and who your insurance company is.
In my case, Progressive was the Company. They were great. I wasn't happy with the value that they put on my two month old bike, but their policy is to use NADA. Where the good stuff came in at was the $3,000 allowance for accessories, which I maxed out with $1,000 left over. They then allowed me to remove accessories up to the $1,000 off of the bike to put on the new bike. Also Progressive has a policy that pays for sales tax and title fees if you replace the totaled vehicle within 30 days of the accident. In my case that was an additional $1,500 which compensated for the lower NADA value. Progressive paid out the claim in less than two weeks after the accident.
Very prompt and professional!
I was not allowed to purchase the bike back because of IL law prohibiting it. Which was okay because they wanted too much for it anyway.
Good luck, and above all, I'm glad that you're able to have these problems (meaning that you are okay)
vfrpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:15 PM   #9
scooteraug02
Dog Rancher

Another guy here stripped his bike of the parts he wanted before the insurance company took it. On my friends tire he had just put a new tire on his bike and we swapped it out with the old one. Don't know who would be harmed. They auction them off and people buy them based on pictures.
Old 01-08-2013, 01:40 PM   #10
Britome
Get Free

Oddometer: 1,031
Parts for the Fam

Thanx everyone for helping out my son. We have yet to meet with the adjuster but I'm confident it is totalled. I also know that I'll be able to buy the bike back and we are confident we can piece it back together with a salvaged title. If anyone has any spare parts lying around let us know. Specifically...

left side valve cover
left side stick coil
front fender
painted plastics
upper right plastic trim around tank
both mirrors
handlebars
switch assemblies
crash bars

Other stuff is damaged (front wheel, etc.) but we have ideas for those things. I was looking for a project bike... specifically a NEW project bike. Not one in the family stable that needed to be fixed. Thx for the help and insights.
Britome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:40 PM   #11
Noonen
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
If you aren't happy with their offer on the bike, you can always demand they find another in comparable condition, etc and put it on your driveway, at which point you'll give them the keys and sign over the title to the wrecked bike. That forced them to not only look at KBB, but to look at classifieds (cycle trader, etc) and fix a value based upon those numbers.

I negotiated that way after a wreck and got a much better offer for the bike. In my case it was all cosmetic damage (Ducati so $$$ plastics) after agreeing on a $#### for the bike, I bought it back(25% maybe?) and got her back on the road. I also refused to let them take it out of my garage until we had settled on a number, they offered to send out a truck to pick it up every time we talked.

Sorry you went down, but good luck getting things resolved!
Old 01-09-2013, 06:13 AM   #12
scooteraug02
Dog Rancher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britome View Post
Thanx everyone for helping out my son. We have yet to meet with the adjuster but I'm confident it is totalled. I also know that I'll be able to buy the bike back and we are confident we can piece it back together with a salvaged title. If anyone has any spare parts lying around let us know. Specifically...

left side valve cover
left side stick coil
front fender
painted plastics
upper right plastic trim around tank
both mirrors
handlebars
switch assemblies
crash bars

Other stuff is damaged (front wheel, etc.) but we have ideas for those things. I was looking for a project bike... specifically a NEW project bike. Not one in the family stable that needed to be fixed. Thx for the help and insights.
Try these places for parts

http://www.beemerboneyard.com/ Call them they have more parts than they list.
Flea Market on Advrider.com
Ebay
Old 01-09-2013, 06:49 AM   #13
johmap
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Totaled GSA

On Nov 8 young women decided she needed the lane that I was in more than I did. Totaled my 02 GSA. Settling an insurance claim has a lot to do with the insurance company you have. They start with the book value of the bike as a base, then they will depreciate the additions that you have done. As I found out this past week portable equipment such GPS, Ipods, etc are not covered under the physical damage part of the motorcycle policy. Fortunately, for me, my friends took off all my electronics, so I am going to be able to use them on my new bike.

What I did to offset the price of the book value, was to send the adjuster what a comparable bike is selling for on the open market. It helped in the settlement of my claim. I sent him every listing I could find Cycle Trader, Ebay, etc. I also sent him every receipt that I could find for items that I had added but did not remove. I also sent him a receipt for a clutch that was replaced in 2012 and a 30,000 mile service that had about 400 miles on it at the time of the accident.

My idea is be patient and let them do their work, but be prepared to argue your case with all the documentation that you can put together.

Good luck.

John
johmap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:52 AM   #14
STUFF2C
We Ain't Left Yet!!

Oddometer: 2,277
Find 5 bikes (or more) for sale in the same condition and miles, add it up divide by 5, thats what they'll pay... or nada which ever is higher.

Always wait for their first offer though, it may be higher.

I've done it this way more than once with bikes and cars, worked every time with no hassles.

I once had a 72 super bettle and it burnt to the ground. I figured it was worth around $2000. Insurance guy offered me $3800.

I never plan a ride, just the destination and that's always subject to change.
STUFF2C is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:28 AM   #15
scooteraug02
Dog Rancher

CoPart.com

2006 BMW R1200gs

Copart says this 2006 R1200GS Actual cash value is ACV: $10,727 USD