User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2013, 06:45 AM   #1
Okie Preacher OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 805
Question Extended Warranty

Need to make a decision before February 12 on an extended warranty for my '09 GS as the factory overage runs out at that time. She has just over 30,000 miles and has been reliable on the big stuff...less so on the tweaky issues. I have a couple long trips planned for the coming year and would like to keep some help available in case of a major flop.

Is Zurich the only game in town? Any experience pro or con as to extended coverage? Generally worth the trouble or should I just let it go open?

Thanks all.
Okie Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:55 AM   #2
viperh
StormChaser

Oddometer: 117
I have a friend who the warranty paid for itself 3 new rear ends. 2009 and had 100k miles on it when he got rid of it. Blew a rear in Alaska on a big trip.
Selling point his warranty was transferable.

My experience-
I have not used mine 2010 w 54k miles. Only thing that has gone out fuel strip and heated hand grip. Hand grip wasn't covered, and strip was covered under factory still. Mine has yet to pay for itself.

EDIT-Our dealer had us go through Pinnacle Protections

viperh screwed with this post 01-08-2013 at 06:58 AM Reason: source of warranty
viperh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:29 AM   #3
eric2
®egister this:

Oddometer: 3,641
extended warranty saved me $1100 (or paid for itself + $300) when my input shaft splines stripped at 52k miles. Mind you, I was riding my 05 1200gs pretty hard, frequent wheelies and full power shifts up until then. Stopped dogging it and everythings been Ok since then, now at 125k miles.

I think the insurance company was called Star, or something similar. My local dealer doesn't use them anymore.
Originally Posted by Big Steve View Post
I've yet to see a poor person driving a real gas hog......
lottery: A tax for people bad at math
eric2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:03 AM   #4
TheRoss
IBA, BMWMOA

Oddometer: 312
I just rolled 30k on my 2011 and have been kicking this around also. I am leaving for a 5000 mile ride this Saturday, so the warranty is basically over.

The bike has been bullet proof. I am going to wing it sans-warranty. Whenever something does go south on it, I will have the option of tearing it apart myself to save some money (shipping the FD off for repair instead of sending the entire bike, for example). I couldn't see spending $2000 for a warranty I may never use. Better (at least for me) to keep $2000 in savings ready to use when something does go.
TheRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:19 PM   #5
Multiplicity
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
IF, you are a DIY and can handle the repairs. I would just stash the money and be my own Ins.

IF, you can't handle the repairs, then you should get the warranty. Remember, warranties are not a failsafe.
You need to maintain your bike, with records to keep the warranty valid. You also can't modify it. IE power commander, ETC.

They will decline anything they deem modified, abuse or neglect. I've been a failure analysis inspector for the last 10 years.
Most companies are decent. There are those that won't cover much, but that's all stated in the policy. You'll need to read it, understand it and decide what's right for you. Also understand, they make the decisions, not the repair facility. They tend to drag both feet. They will require you to pay for all teardowns, just in case it's not a covered failure. They're not in business to pay out money. They collect it and control what takes place and what gets replaced. I've seen repairs that get only the basic necessities and reuse other parts that don't make sense. They don't cover any preventative repairs.
They only cover specific items stated in the policy. They take forever to authorize anything and sometime need to send out an inspector (me) to verify the cause of failure, extent of damage and needed repairs. This can double and triple repair times. If you're impatient, don't buy it and always make sure you know your level of coverage, before you pay for it. Brakes and clutches are considered wear items and are not covered.

Look at the exclusion list of parts. Any policy that excludes fasteners are a rip-off, IMO.
Multiplicity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:58 PM   #6
BKFoster
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Multiplicity View Post
You need to maintain your bike, with records to keep the warranty valid. You also can't modify it. IE power commander, ETC..
I guess that depends on the Ins Co./Dealer. When the driveshaft failed on my 2009 Adventure, maintanence or modifications where never mentioned. And I have the PCIII and a full Akrapovic race exhaust (among many other mods). But then I am not a "dirty-biker". I do all my own maintainence and keep my bike clean and they noticed. If it looks likes shit thay may think you treat it like shit and ask for records.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multiplicity View Post
Also understand, they make the decisions, not the repair facility. They tend to drag both feet.
Again, not my experience. My dealer got me on the lift, tore it down, agreed it was a bad u-joint, recieved authorization from the insurance company, made a trip to a dealer a few towns over to get the part, and got me on the road in under six hours. I couldn't be happier. It is the first Extended Service Contract I have bought in my life and it will pay for itself if a another covered repair is required in the next 5 years, which I feel is likely. I gambled and won.
BKFoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:21 PM   #7
Okie Preacher OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 805
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKFoster View Post
I guess that depends on the Ins Co./Dealer.
Who are you using?
Okie Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:22 PM   #8
Multiplicity
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKFoster View Post
I guess that depends on the Ins Co./Dealer. When the driveshaft failed on my 2009 Adventure, maintanence or modifications where never mentioned. And I have the PCIII and a full Akrapovic race exhaust (among many other mods). But then I am not a "dirty-biker". I do all my own maintainence and keep my bike clean and they noticed. If it looks likes shit thay may think you treat it like shit and ask for records.

Again, not my experience. My dealer got me on the lift, tore it down, agreed it was a bad u-joint, recieved authorization from the insurance company, made a trip to a dealer a few towns over to get the part, and got me on the road in under six hours. I couldn't be happier. It is the first Extended Service Contract I have bought in my life and it will pay for itself if a another covered repair is required in the next 5 years, which I feel is likely. I gambled and won.

Not all problems are the same. They don't handle all issue's the way I described, but they will inspect a lot of repairs.
If your dealer is getting phone authorization, then there is nobody to report the mods. I know it's the first priority on their list when doing an inspection. Most good dealers have a good reputation with the warranty company and they handle business on the spot. Some don't and it all depends on who the carrier is too.
Multiplicity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:01 PM   #9
BKFoster
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okie Preacher View Post
Who are you using?
Zurich.
BKFoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:01 PM   #10
aGremlin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 493
Read the terms and conditions of what is actually covered, to get a better idea of whether it's worth it.

FWIW, I enquired with my dealer and an extended warranty wasn't available, but I was interested, as I do a lot of mileage, and my opinion is that if something does go wrong, it's usually something expensive because of all the electronics involved.
Old 01-09-2013, 06:52 AM   #11
Dan-M
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 785
Lots of opinions on warranties much like oil and tires.

Just remember one thing. The warranty companies do it to make money. What ever the premium is, odds are your bike will need less in repairs. Not just the premium total but the premium total less administrative costs and sales commissions. Yes, there are many who know someone who had six engines replaced at no charge but the vast majority of vehicles need less in repairs than the cost of the warranty, a lot less. They wouldn't sell them if it were not true.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:56 AM   #12
Paul Mihalka
Old Fart

Oddometer: 877
Pro and con, or when you should get it: Extended warranties are a form of insurance. The insurance company has records of average expenses on average mileage, and based on that plan to make a lot of money. Now if you plan to ride a lot more than average mileage, and a bike with possible high cost repairs, extended warranties are good to have.
Paul Mihalka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:26 AM   #13
scooteraug02
Dog Rancher

Oddometer: 4,306
Read exclusions. Some exclude what you want covered.

A coworker bought a Lexus for wife, extended warranty. Car smelled moldy. A/C condensation drain cracked, known Lexus issue covered under regular warranty normally. Car was out of regular warranty and extended warranty specifically excluded it. He paid for the $2000 repair and got them later with a valve train noise.

BMW dealer told me clutch slave cylinders sometimes excluded.

Someone should sell final drive insurance. Say $50 per year, I bet 90% of us would buy it and the real number of failures could be revealed.
Old 01-09-2013, 01:31 PM   #14
Ravenslair
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooteraug02 View Post
...Someone should sell final drive insurance. Say $50 per year, I bet 90% of us would buy it and the real number of failures could be revealed.
Tell me where to sign!