Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2013, 09:13 PM   #1366
jttele
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngil View Post
Is the bottom shock bolt kit necessary with the stock shock, or just Ohlins like show here?
Old 01-02-2013, 11:01 PM   #1367
Indy Unlimited
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,289
The Indy lower kit is just for aftermarket shocks with extra heavy loads.
I do not recommend them for stock shocks.
Most riders are satisfied with just the upper kit on stock and aftermarket shocks.
For 2 up fully loaded off road riding and our largest skilled ADVriders would also need the lower kit for aftermarket shocks.

2013 Ducati Hypermotard SP, 2011 Husaberg FE570S, 2011 BMW S1000RR, 2010 BMW F800GS
2007 Husqvarna TE610 , 2003 KTM 525 MXC

Indy Unlimited screwed with this post 01-04-2013 at 07:19 AM
Indy Unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:03 AM   #1368
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phreaky Phil View Post
Hey Snowy, i'm surprised you havent taken to that shock mount with you welder and put another plate in on the other side of the shock. The old DR didnt bend shock bolts
Do use your 800 2up much ? offroad.
2 up trail riding is all it does. I live 20kms from the entry to all the National parks and State forests that make up the Snowy Mountains here. I spend my weekends doing trail loops with wifey on the back. There's usually a pub stop somewhere where I get reasonably shit faced before taking to the trails again. Interestingly, I'm more likely to bin it sober than half cut.

Yes, I thought about welding it up. But I had far too much electronics to disconnect etc first. I'm lazy.

I was 2 up last weekend when I dumped it in a river in the back country Snowy Mountains. It's now known as U523. Unterseabooten. After laying it on it's side to drain the airbox it started right up and kept going for the rest of the trip, but the rear wheel bearings shit themselves about 200kms later, and the headlight was full of water and it separated all the chrome surface from the plastic. I'm in the process of fitting an aftermarket 7inch round light.

The old DR is in the shed with the lower frame rail torn out after an altercation with a mountain. Tore the rear brake lever clean off, holed the clutch cover, ripped the bashplate apart, fucked the frame. I'm 90% done fixing it, but lost interest because I have another DR and an F800 to take it's place. Thinking of parting out the old DR, selling the newer one and buying a Husqvarna TE510.

At least the DRs were hard to kill. I gave it a good go, and then still rode it the 100kms to get home in sleet, snow and rain with about half the normal oil volume and no rear brake.
Snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:20 PM   #1369
Phreaky Phil
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,733
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowy View Post
2 up trail riding is all it does. I live 20kms from the entry to all the National parks and State forests that make up the Snowy Mountains here. I spend my weekends doing trail loops with wifey on the back. There's usually a pub stop somewhere where I get reasonably shit faced before taking to the trails again. Interestingly, I'm more likely to bin it sober than half cut.

Yes, I thought about welding it up. But I had far too much electronics to disconnect etc first. I'm lazy.

I was 2 up last weekend when I dumped it in a river in the back country Snowy Mountains. It's now known as U523. Unterseabooten. After laying it on it's side to drain the airbox it started right up and kept going for the rest of the trip, but the rear wheel bearings shit themselves about 200kms later, and the headlight was full of water and it separated all the chrome surface from the plastic. I'm in the process of fitting an aftermarket 7inch round light.

The old DR is in the shed with the lower frame rail torn out after an altercation with a mountain. Tore the rear brake lever clean off, holed the clutch cover, ripped the bashplate apart, fucked the frame. I'm 90% done fixing it, but lost interest because I have another DR and an F800 to take it's place. Thinking of parting out the old DR, selling the newer one and buying a Husqvarna TE510.

At least the DRs were hard to kill. I gave it a good go, and then still rode it the 100kms to get home in sleet, snow and rain with about half the normal oil volume and no rear brake.
Unterseabooten ! Dive Dive Dive
Hi Snowy, I test rode an 800GS about 3 years back but was concerned about the shock bolt thing as we are nearly always 2 up. I thought the motor was great but the suspension left me cold, and knowing my luck I would have some problem and have to do battle with BMW again over warranty. I'm interested in the RMZ swinarm you put in your DR . Was it longer than the DR one and if so how did it alter the handling and steering. I wouldn't mind a longer one in my DR as we are usually 2up and have been looking up specs and note that an 800GS has about 3" longer wheelbase than a DR.
You can PM me if you dont want to clog this thread.
Cheers Phil
Phreaky Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:03 PM   #1370
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Wilco. Later tonight I'll send the measurements.

Shock bolt is the least of my worries now thanks to the Indy kits.

I'm thinking about air tanks and snorkel though.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:16 AM   #1371
Motorfiets
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,997

Round headlights for the win

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Old 01-07-2013, 04:37 PM   #1372
CrustyOldFart
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Does anyone know if the 2013 model still uses this weak bolt that needs to be replaced?
CrustyOldFart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:05 AM   #1373
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,381
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrustyOldFart View Post
Does anyone know if the 2013 model still uses this weak bolt that needs to be replaced?
It's not the bolt that's weak, it's a badly designed upper shock mount.

And yes, the 2013 is still the same AFAIK. Get the Indy kit and the problem is solved.

Tracker: https://share.delorme.com/LukasMatzinger
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:38 PM   #1374
CrustyOldFart
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post
It's not the bolt that's weak, it's a badly designed upper shock mount.

And yes, the 2013 is still the same AFAIK. Get the Indy kit and the problem is solved.
Excellent info. Thanks
CrustyOldFart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:56 PM   #1375
Kainic
Almost there

Oddometer: 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by petzi-baer View Post
New company called Tractive:
Most of them are former WP employees:
http://tractivesuspension.com/about_...uspension.html

Maybe someone on this forum is going to the iMS in Long Beach and could check them out for us.

Petzi-baer
I believe this is the company that is making the new Toura-tech shocks?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Kainic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 05:59 AM   #1376
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Well, I spoke too soon.

If no one has killed an Indy kit to date, I may be the first.

Strip down and pics to follow.

There's suddenly a lot of play in the top shock mount. About 10mm at the rear axle. Clunky noise evident over uneven ground.
Old 01-12-2013, 07:03 AM   #1377
Indy Unlimited
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,289
Most likely needle bearings are shot.
I am recommending moly paste for lubrication these days.
Post pics and PM me for any parts you need for free.

I have seen a few shafts over heat treated and have brittle flaking failure that can damage the needle bearings.
Since you ride 2 up loaded a lot and mostly off road that is the toughest loading on the shock mounts.

2013 Ducati Hypermotard SP, 2011 Husaberg FE570S, 2011 BMW S1000RR, 2010 BMW F800GS
2007 Husqvarna TE610 , 2003 KTM 525 MXC

Indy Unlimited screwed with this post 01-12-2013 at 07:21 AM
Indy Unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:08 AM   #1378
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,672
Snowy.....I think you need to change your avatar to Basher......

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:03 AM   #1379
toowheels
on a mission...

Oddometer: 952
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrabaek View Post
Snowy.....I think you need to change your avatar to Basher......
or maybe Bashy?

Looks like Indy's all over it anyhow. We'll see what it is? Maybe the shock itself if not the needle bearings?

Dave
Old 01-16-2013, 08:19 PM   #1380
jttele
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Unlimited View Post
Most likely needle bearings are shot.
I am recommending moly paste for lubrication these days.
Post pics and PM me for any parts you need for free.

I have seen a few shafts over heat treated and have brittle flaking failure that can damage the needle bearings.
Since you ride 2 up loaded a lot and mostly off road that is the toughest loading on the shock mounts.
Well it's probably overkill, but I got an extra needle bearing to put in the top shock mount to share the load so now it has three bearings instead of the two in the Indy kit. The two outside bearings stick out about 2mm, but the running surface of the needles is still well inside the bore of the shock they're inserted into. This is on a stock shock by the way. The bearings might not even be the problem for Snowy, but I guess we'll see soon enough.