Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2013, 04:07 PM   #16
Iron Rey
Oh shit, not him!

Oddometer: 816
I am riding a 2010 GSA with ESA, none of the Odyssey's fit even with modification. I do have a Shorai in it now, it's ok in the summer but I live in NE Wisconsin and the cold weather plays hell with it (and any other lithium ion battery), I have to turn my lights on so drain and warm the battery then it will start, but the voltage drop is probably playing hell with the starter. If it is less than 15 degrees in the morning I throw the charger on it for a half hour before I leave for work, but you have to hope it is going to be at least 20 degrees in the parking lot so it will start after work.
Iron Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:52 PM   #17
Boondox
Travels With Barley

Oddometer: 2,881
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Rey View Post
I am riding a 2010 GSA with ESA, none of the Odyssey's fit even with modification. I do have a Shorai in it now, it's ok in the summer but I live in NE Wisconsin and the cold weather plays hell with it (and any other lithium ion battery), I have to turn my lights on so drain and warm the battery then it will start, but the voltage drop is probably playing hell with the starter. If it is less than 15 degrees in the morning I throw the charger on it for a half hour before I leave for work, but you have to hope it is going to be at least 20 degrees in the parking lot so it will start after work.
Thank you, this is good info!
I got a sidecar to travel with my dog. He never complains, is delighted to be with me, approves of my dietary choices, is a social butterfly who helps me meet folks, appreciates a good beer, snuggles better than my wife, and hangs on my every word as if it's the most profound thing he's ever heard. TravelsWithBarley.com
Boondox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:13 PM   #18
Chip Stevens OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 106
Thanks for the threads. I enjoyed them a lot. chip
Chip Stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:22 PM   #19
Chip Stevens OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Iron Ray, Thanks that is good information. My GSA is 2012. I think it is the same as yours. chip
Old 01-09-2013, 01:12 PM   #20
Iron Rey
Oh shit, not him!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip Stevens View Post
Iron Ray, Thanks that is good information. My GSA is 2012. I think it is the same as yours. chip
Yep.
Old 01-10-2013, 02:21 AM   #21
aGremlin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 467
Got the Shorai 21 model in my 2010 GSA with ESA (actually Ohlins ESA).

Had major problems with the 14 or 16 model, stay away from that. Initially it was recommended as the correct model, but it isn't powerful enough. No size sizing with the 21, but she starts well. Stock was 2.5 years old, sometimes slow to crank.

Haven't gone through a winter yet, but warming is recommending before starting, but a bit difficult when your headlight doesn't come on until the bike starts.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:35 PM   #22
SkiFly01
Govna Racepipe

Oddometer: 574
Quote:
Originally Posted by aGremlin
warming is recommending before starting, but a bit difficult when your headlight doesn't come on until the bike starts.
click your high beam on, it will come on
SkiFly01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 03:22 PM   #23
dsy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Quote:
I am riding a 2010 GSA with ESA, none of the Odyssey's fit even with modification.
The Odyssey fit my 2012 with ESA fine. Just had to remove the stand off from under the stock battery and fab a hold down bracket.
It is still slow to crank over when it gets around 20 deg though.

Old 01-11-2013, 10:42 AM   #24
Iron Rey
Oh shit, not him!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsy View Post
The Odyssey fit my 2012 with ESA fine. Just had to remove the stand off from under the stock battery and fab a hold down bracket.
It is still slow to crank over when it gets around 20 deg though.

Interesting, what is the battery model please?
Old 01-11-2013, 12:02 PM   #25
dsy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Quote:
Interesting, what is the battery model please?

Its the PC535 recomended in the other threads. The only thing I did besides taking out the stand-off platform the stock battery sits on, was remove a couple fins so the cables had room to snake through. I did cut out and install new zip ties on the frame holding the cables also so they could be moved a little. The hold down was real easy. Just took some 3/4" flat steel and made the bends so the one end hooks under the frame right in front of where the rear shock bolts in and then drilled a hole in the other end to be able to use the top bolt hole from that bracket that is supposed to hold the owners manual. Then slid some shrink tube over it after painting it. Oh, also removed the terminals that came on the new battery and bent the stock BMW batt cable eyelet terminals to allow them to bolt down flat to the batt terminal studs.
Sounds like some people had issues installing the PC535, I had none.

This was the thread that Jim started that I used as a guide. His was done on an older GS but everything but the hold down was pretty much the same.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=320214

dsy screwed with this post 01-11-2013 at 12:24 PM
dsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 03:34 PM   #26
Iron Rey
Oh shit, not him!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsy View Post
Its the PC535 recomended in the other threads. The only thing I did besides taking out the stand-off platform the stock battery sits on, was remove a couple fins so the cables had room to snake through. I did cut out and install new zip ties on the frame holding the cables also so they could be moved a little. The hold down was real easy. Just took some 3/4" flat steel and made the bends so the one end hooks under the frame right in front of where the rear shock bolts in and then drilled a hole in the other end to be able to use the top bolt hole from that bracket that is supposed to hold the owners manual. Then slid some shrink tube over it after painting it. Oh, also removed the terminals that came on the new battery and bent the stock BMW batt cable eyelet terminals to allow them to bolt down flat to the batt terminal studs.
Sounds like some people had issues installing the PC535, I had none.

This was the thread that Jim started that I used as a guide. His was done on an older GS but everything but the hold down was pretty much the same.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=320214
Thanks Man, sounds easy enough.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:58 PM   #27
Chip Stevens OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks for the reply to my question. I'm partial to odyssey. I'll give it a try. chip
Old 01-12-2013, 05:20 PM   #28
viz
I Ride Ms Piggy

Oddometer: 1,804
I have a 2010 non-ESA - I am using an Antigravity LiPo (Lithium Polymer) AG16YTX12 battery, much bigger than stock and WAY lighter. It turns the motor over very well, no problems. I have not had any problems starting in the cold either, but then I very rarely see below 32F (0C).

Very happy with the battery - it does not need a tender. Spec says parasitic drain is <0.2 volts per year.

viz
viz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:08 AM   #29
Iron Rey
Oh shit, not him!

I went to the IMS in Minneapolis yesterday and talked to the Shorai rep and told him about my issue, immediately he asked me to get him the data on my battery, he said it was probably an 18 Ah (it is). I am to shoot him and email and he said if it is the 18 he will replace it with the 21 Ah FOC, he even said that if it is a 21, he would also replace it, his parting words were "regardless, you are getting a new battery". I have heard good things about their customer service so I will let you know how it goes...
Old 02-16-2013, 06:53 AM   #30
Iron Rey
Oh shit, not him!

Well the whole Shorai thing was a bust, I believe if you live in a warm climate or do not ride in the winter they will work fine, but I live up north and ride year 'round and it just wasn't happening, I didn't like having to let the battery warm up and then still get mediocre performance.

I went with the PC535 like dsy did, yea, it took a small amount of finagling but it is what I consider the best solution for me and my riding style, and I know I have talked this to death in several threads and others have told me it could be done but until I saw dsy's pic, (I tend to run on the skeptical side) I wasn't convinced, but yes, the 535 is a very good option for the GSA's with ESA.

Anywho, thanks to all for your input.