Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2013, 04:55 PM   #16
DuctTape
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 351
I hope no one here thinks by any stretch of the imagination that I think I know more then the people at places like Superplush, Slavenracing, etc because it just isn't true.

Dan Kyle of Kyle racing basically set up both my Ducati and Aprilia for the track. He transformed both my bikes from fast exhausting to ride, accidents looking for places to happen to cornering and braking works of art. Because of him I'm not only faster but safer doing it. There is no substitute for experience.

The difference between those two bikes and my 990 is I never sent anything to Dan. I installed and made all the changes myself under his tutelage. By doing this I'm able to set up both of those bikes for different tracks and conditions and don't see why my 990 should be any different.

Like one member wrote. Suspension is a Science and Science can be learned, tested and applied.....................okay I added (Science can be learned, tested and applied) myself. LOL
2010 Ducati 1198S

DuctTape screwed with this post 01-08-2013 at 05:04 PM
DuctTape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 01:42 AM   #17
T-Mac
orange

Oddometer: 42
SKF seals

Can anyone share the SKF seals part numbers?
Old 01-10-2013, 04:29 AM   #18
RoundOz
Plenty of seasoning

Oddometer: 932
Just wondering what your list adds up to...

From what you are saying you might be playing with damping settings by disassembly and by changing fork oil. I think this is one of he main reasons a lot of guys go with people like Superplush...they have the accumulated experience of hundreds maybe thousands of rebuilds and customers to get the work done right the first time (mostly). A lot of riders (self included) don't have the time to mess with multiple disassemblies and adjustments, or the experience to know what to change to correct bad behavior. More power to you for tackling this yourself...the satisfaction of getting it right is priceless and the knowledge you gain in the process put you in a better position than the off-the-shelf buyer.
For me it always boils down to a time vs money thing, and I am poorer than the average KaTuM owner on both. I do my own wrenching because of shortages on both fronts (and I am 4 hrs from anyone I would trust to play with my pride and joy), so this is the reason for the first question, and also the main thing the OP has to consider.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuctTape View Post
I hope no one here thinks by any stretch of the imagination that I think I know more then the people at places like Superplush, Slavenracing, etc because it just isn't true.

Dan Kyle of Kyle racing basically set up both my Ducati and Aprilia for the track. He transformed both my bikes from fast exhausting to ride, accidents looking for places to happen to cornering and braking works of art. Because of him I'm not only faster but safer doing it. There is no substitute for experience.

The difference between those two bikes and my 990 is I never sent anything to Dan. I installed and made all the changes myself under his tutelage. By doing this I'm able to set up both of those bikes for different tracks and conditions and don't see why my 990 should be any different.

Like one member wrote. Suspension is a Science and Science can be learned, tested and applied.....................okay I added (Science can be learned, tested and applied) myself. LOL
Old 01-10-2013, 06:17 AM   #19
Hipster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,692
SKF fork seals alone are about $70, for under $100 you can get SKF seals, upper & lower bushings and mid valve piston seal with KTM p/n R14020 rebuild kit for 48mm forks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Mac View Post
Old 01-10-2013, 07:09 AM   #20
T-Mac
orange

Oddometer: 42
Cool! Thanks!
Old 01-10-2013, 07:26 AM   #21
nattyMo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 571
How much time do want to devote to this project?

On my 950smr I've used a local RaceTech shop for the shock re-valve and did the fork myself. I've had the fork apart many times chasing a workable setup that is better then stock. The shock has been redone several times as well. I've enjoyed learning about my forks and suspension but that time may have been better used ridding. I would have sent my stuff off to someone who had developed a better big SM suspension setup but couldn't find anyone who had at the time. I'm into my second year of working on this on and off.

I'd suggest using someone who has gone through the learning process on other bikes like yours. SPS or Slavens seem to be quite well respected for 990adv forks. Their experience is what you're paying for, not fairy dust. It takes time to do the development on an improved suspension solution. You can either pay someone for their time or use your own time.

I wasn't trying to save money by doing the forks myself. I looked at it as a learning opportunity. Fact is by the time I purchased the tools and supplies needed I was close if not over the cost of having a shop do the re-valve. In addition to the list previously posted you'll need a good quality micrometer to measure shim thickness plus inch-pound and foot-pound torque wrenches.

If you do decide on the 'Kit" approach, Moto-Pro is great to work with as well as Slavens. I wasn't too impressed with RaceTech. I've been well pleased with RaceTech for my road and race bikes but they've missed the target so far on my SMR.

Word to the wise, Use the exact same fork oil to start with. Changing oil has a huge effect on dampening. Oil brands actual viscosity vary a dramatic amount. Don't buy based on the weight of the oil, it is not a reliable measure across brands. Meaning 5wt oil from brand A won't be the same as brand B 5wt, not even close. Also be very well versed on the impact of changing your rebound, compression adjuster, and spring pre-load settings prior to taking things apart. Be sure you have set sag correctly and document the best stock setup you've found.

At 24k miles you should strongly consider replacing your bushings as well as seals. SKF seals offer a massive improvement over stock, Slavens carry them plus sell KYB bushings that are a excellent quality lower cost option to the WP bushings.

If you decide to do the work yourself I can provide a fair bit of useful information. Hit me up.

NM

nattyMo screwed with this post 01-10-2013 at 07:36 AM
nattyMo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:45 AM   #22
nattyMo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 571
Here's where I purchased mine:

http://www.slavensracing.com/shop/fo...p-ktm-husaberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Mac View Post
nattyMo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:38 PM   #23
DuctTape
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 351
I totally agree with everything written and If I lived in Colorado Springs or San Fran Cisco where a person could take their bike to have the suspension done and then take it back to have it tweaked until it's right then that would be great but for someone out of state that sends their parts in you're going to end up with a compromise that may or may not work.

So here's the question and answer I had with myself.

If I send in my suspension will it be better then stock......... probably.
Will it be as good as it can be.........probably not.

Do I think I can make my suspension as good as someone like Jeff or James personal bikes......... probably not.

Do I think I can make it as good as what they'd send me......... yes I think I can.

Do I have the tools to do the job? yes

Do I have the time? Yes, I work nights so when everyone else is sleeping I'm wrenching. We also have long winters

Do I have some place to test it? Yes, I live in the country so my test track is my backyard.

Will the Queen Neuter me for spending the time and $$? No, I bought, work on and paid off her Victorian so she's happy LOL.

I got the valves today so I'm just waiting on the Superplush springs form KTMtwins and I'll be tearing her apart.

The last question I always ask myself before I do anything is "What's the worse that can happen?" and the answer to that is I revert the forks back to stock and send them to Jeff or James................we just won't tell the Queen, LOL.
2010 Ducati 1198S
DuctTape is offline   Reply With Quote