Originally Posted by Padmei View Post
Ahhh that would have been last Summer
Yep. Before all this global warming...
NordieBoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:32 AM   #1337
Padmei OP
enamoured

Oddometer: 3,503
Does anyone have a spare diode board hanging around? I may need to borrow for dusty butt if my ones poked. i'll post up tomm to see if it's charging correctly
Padmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:42 AM   #1338
ztaj
jatz

Oddometer: 897
Quote:
Does anyone have a spare diode board hanging around? I may need to borrow for dusty butt if my ones poked. i'll post up tomm to see if it's charging correctly
FFS Padders, just take snotso

Then you'd be able to ride down..... and back
ztaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:45 AM   #1339
Box'a'bits
In need of repair

Oddometer: 2,104
I've a complete charging system here if you can organise / someone is prepared to strip it off the RS

It's just better when there's twins involved....
Box'a'bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:23 PM   #1340
Voltaire
Pissedmoaninglapper

Oddometer: 1,341
I'll have a look tonight for a diode board, got a couple in some motors...are they all the same?
Voltaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:01 PM   #1341
Box'a'bits
In need of repair

Oddometer: 2,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltaire View Post
I'll have a look tonight for a diode board, got a couple in some motors...are they all the same?
Yes. All the same from 1970.

Padmei, what symptoms you are seeing?

It's just better when there's twins involved....
Box'a'bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:06 PM   #1342
Padmei OP
enamoured

Thanks guys.
i'm off to th bach soon but long story short(ened) the batt was cranking slow, charge lite not on. checked lamp etc, brushes worn, replaced brushes , charge lite came on & went off as it should. Voltage at diode red wire point 16volts!!!, voltage at blue wire connection to reg (cant remmeber but lot lower) book says over 1.5v diff diode board stuffed less than 0.5 v reg stuffed.
Took diode board out of berlina & repaired break with solder & araldite. installed & left batt to charge up overnite.
bought lil multimeter & rigged up to read off cig liter outlet. batt sitting at 13 volts, running at 12.8v over 3k revs up to 13.65v & sits there nicley till revs drop.

Checked schmidts diode board this morn with diode func on mm. seemed ok so maybe there was something wrong with my voltage reading - managed to short the board out to the case as well when trying to test it. -
readings on mm testing mm in diode func was 320 (K ohm? M ohms?) thru all them.

Voltage regs - how do they work? just a few caps? I read any type would do & I s'pose that'd be right

I have been planning to do an update & will do when back from bach next week. Take care - I've been missing our lil chats

Oh & ps Jaz haven't you got a touratech catalogue you could read instead of bugging us real adv bikers?
Old 01-08-2013, 09:04 PM   #1343
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,125
Quote:
Oh & ps Jaz haven't you got a touratech catalogue you could read instead of bugging us real adv bikers?
I've got one...
Old 01-08-2013, 11:23 PM   #1344
Voltaire
Pissedmoaninglapper

Oddometer: 1,341
I had a rummage and found the one that came with an R80 as a 'good' spare.....looks to have had some soldering done.
PM me you address and I can post it down.
Voltaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 02:16 AM   #1345
Padmei OP
enamoured

Quite often I have pondered upon the magic music possesses that can transport the listener back in time to the first time they heard a tune or a significant event.
I first heard this sitting in the wood-paneled dining room of my brothers house in front of a fire while the grey skies closed in outside. There were white cans of Steinlager, pouches of Port Royal & the talk was of recently finished paintball warfare.

Blind Faith - Had to cry today

The kids starting back at school heralds a shift back to the normality of regular life. This summer has been a good one for riding but not as productive in the workshop.

I have had a few rides around the Nelson Marlborough area including Mt Patriarch, Golden bay a few times, over the old maungatapu track & around Wairoa Gorge & the Moutere.

Unfortunately I didn't get to the Dusty Butt which in hindsight is disappointing however made the call at the time with the best knowledge I had that was indicating a cold wet time was to be expected. From the pics & reports it may have been the best one yet.

A highlight ride I undertook was revisiting Mt Patriarch on a hot dry clear day with a mate Steve. He trailered over his YZ450 & met me at the Wairau bridge.
I rate the road in to Lake Chalice & Mt Pat as a fantastically fun road. The surface has a clay base with a scattering of light gravel with many tight corners but few butt clenchers.

Here's Steve

Lake Chalice

Yours truly

View of the Wairau from the top

The carpark. We went for a walk to the top of a couple of the closer peaks but not to the top

Schmidt cooling down

It was scorching hot as we rode down. The temps must have been in the mid 30s.
Old 02-08-2013, 02:57 AM   #1346
Padmei OP
enamoured

I spent a bit of time on the workshop working on a few things. The unusual electrical problem I had with the charging circuit seemed to disappear with a diode swap from Berlina. As happens at times like this the starter motor then began squealing when starting. I took it apart, cleaned & greased everything that looked like it should be.
The starter motor teeth were looking worn however luckily the flywheel teeth were good so I spose the starter teeth are the sacrificial part. I had a look at Berlinas one & Schmidts ones looked very good in comparison.

I also minutemended those nasty lil nuts to the rear of the starter to save from having to do unusual yoga positions with my fingers holding them in place.

There has been a KLR seat knocking around for a while & I decided to have a go at modifying it to fit Schmidt.
I lengthened the base with some plastic switchboard plastic & a heat gun. That was riveted on.

I cut some foam & glued it over the new section.

After a bit of experimenting I found that a grinder with steel cutoff blade was the best tool to trim & shape the foam. I was unusually patient & tried to get as close a smooth edge between old & new as possible.

Stretching & keeping the fabric in place was a head scratcher I was intending to stretch & staple the fabric to the base however my stapler wouldn't even look at it. The fabric surprisingly had no stretch to it so I resorted to a spray adhesive. It worked very well though the joins are more visible than I hoped. After a few grubby handprints & muddy butts on it it will look quite worn in.

Costs-
$20 glue
$10 imitation suede
$5 foam
a fair few hours labour
Old 02-08-2013, 03:22 AM   #1347
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,125
Normally you'd staple it fore and aft and then hit it with a heat gun top get the stretch. But the suede may not have liked that...
Old 02-08-2013, 12:22 PM   #1348
Kokopelli
Yeah, right!

Oddometer: 4,586
It looks like it should be baked first.
Kokopelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:56 PM   #1349
innathyzit
AKA Woodman

Oddometer: 911
Slowly KLRising Schmidt.

Salad fork is still there btw. I'm watching you.
innathyzit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 01:14 PM   #1350
Padmei OP
enamoured

You guys are funny