Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2013, 05:17 PM   #16
CAN-ADVer OP
From NB to ... :)

Oddometer: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by p-luc View Post
I use regular Kayak strap for my stuff. On that trip I put 2 on my tent crossing (grey dry-bag) and 2 on the duffle bag, blue.
I use the buggy net to put stuff to dry. The strap are custom made, I just cut them the good size for there job with a foot extra. I did 2 trips cross-country of 4 to 5 weeks, no problem.

I got trouble to add the picture, will figure it out!!!!!!
Hi! Well shock chords is Kayak chord! I'm glad I'm not the only one using it! I bought 50ft for 18$ on ebay.. :) PS: I use Imgur for the image, try it ;)
Old 01-05-2013, 06:45 PM   #17
stromsavard
Sergio

Oddometer: 140
Je vais suivre votre voyage avec beaucoup d'intérêt!!! Merci de poster votre préparation!!!!
I'm in and will follow the preparation thank you guys!!
Old 01-05-2013, 08:03 PM   #18
Howie82
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by 568V8 View Post
There are lots of gas stations along the way. Why not ditch some extra weight and leave the cans at home and enjoy the ride?
Totally agree with 568V8. Although I haven't been to NWT, I've done the Dempster and took 1 extra can can half the size of those which I picked up in Dawson City for 5 bucks. On my first major Yukon tour, I made it as far a Vanderhoof before I shipped back all the extra crap I was carrying including most cooking stuff.

I'm planning a trip similar to yours but the opposite way. I'm leaving BC around the 3rd week in July and heading to NFLD, coming back via the Trans Lab then blast back via the States. When are you planning on leaving? Feel free to PM me and I'd love to help with the BC and Yukon part of your trip.
Howie
Howie82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:25 AM   #19
CAN-ADVer OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howie82 View Post
Totally agree with 568V8. Although I haven't been to NWT, I've done the Dempster and took 1 extra can can half the size of those which I picked up in Dawson City for 5 bucks. On my first major Yukon tour, I made it as far a Vanderhoof before I shipped back all the extra crap I was carrying including most cooking stuff.

I'm planning a trip similar to yours but the opposite way. I'm leaving BC around the 3rd week in July and heading to NFLD, coming back via the Trans Lab then blast back via the States. When are you planning on leaving? Feel free to PM me and I'd love to help with the BC and Yukon part of your trip.
Howie
Interesting! I like the idea of shipping useless stuff haha! On our first trip I wouldn't be surprised if we bring everything twice As far as the gas cans, they are only 4.5L each, but I'm starting to be convinced that I should leave them empty for the highway part of our trip! I want them in case I come across a sign like that : (More than what we can do with a full tank)

We are planing to leave in the very end of may or beguinning of june. I read about the highway that goes to labrador, and I heard it's pretty intense :P And I will sure message you when we get to planning that part of our trip! And enjoy yours as well !!!
Old 01-06-2013, 10:06 AM   #20
jesse.godin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by stromsavard View Post
Je vais suivre votre voyage avec beaucoup d'intérêt!!! Merci de poster votre préparation!!!!
I'm in and will follow the preparation thank you guys!!
Merci pour l'intérêt et le support! On va faire de notre possible d'écrire notre aventure avec le plus de détails possible pour tenter d'aider les gens qui voudront tenter de reproduire notre voyage.

..and translation

Thanks for the interest and support! We will do our best to detail our adventure in order to help future adventurers reproduce our trip.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
jesse.godin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:23 AM   #21
nick949eldo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 756
You can over-think it you know. Just go. Misadventures are an integral part of the fun.

Nick
nick949eldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:07 AM   #22
CAN-ADVer OP

Handle bar risers

Hi! Bar risers is a very common modification on all motorcycles... To this date, we have a BMW F800GS, a KTM 990 Adventure and a KLR 650, so I was wondering if we should all get risers... We will do most of our trip on highways and main road, what do you guys recommend?

Or even plain 1" spacers
Old 01-07-2013, 09:39 AM   #23
kildala2000
The GS Store.

Oddometer: 2,043
Thumb Great trip

Hey,

Sounds like a trip of a lifetime. If you need info for your northern BC leg or Yukon leg, let me know.
Ride Safe,
Rick
kildala2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:07 AM   #24
Rick West
Function not Farkles

Oddometer: 1,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAN-ADVer View Post
We are going on a trip across Canada on our adventure bikes in the summer of 2013. The trip will start in New-Brunswick, and go across to BC, then back to N.B using a different road most of the time. (The trip has not happened yet, I will keep this thread open to show the preparation before the trip)
Seeing as your trip is 5-6 months away, did you really mean to put this in ride reports? There is a section called Trip Planning that would be better for showing the preparation for your trip.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:04 AM   #25
CAN-ADVer OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick West View Post
Seeing as your trip is 5-6 months away, did you really mean to put this in ride reports? There is a section called Trip Planning that would be better for showing the preparation for your trip.
Hey! Well the thing is there is no place for a trip from planning till the end, and we didn't want to have multiple thread for the same trip. I thought it would be nice to have a couple of people following our thread during the trip as well... But to be honnest, I didn't thought many people would see it before it actually happened

Quote:
Originally Posted by kildala2000 View Post
Hey,

Sounds like a trip of a lifetime. If you need info for your northern BC leg or Yukon leg, let me know.
Ride Safe,
Rick
Yes, it will at least be our first trip of a lifetime! I just cant wait for that white stuff to melt
Old 01-08-2013, 05:25 PM   #26
gwedo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
bar risers are one of the best investments.takes the pressure of your back and shoulders and gives you more control when standing.you will not regret them.will be following along
Old 02-15-2013, 04:40 PM   #27
CAN-ADVer OP

Hey! I know it's been a while since we updated the prep/progress. too busy with projects and exams... So here's the last ad-ons for my bike!

CENTER STAND
I recently looked for a centerstand for my bike! I know it will be very usefull on the trip! So the asking price was 239$ Plus tax, plus shipping... so 290$ later I would have a centerstand ? That was too expensive for my student budget, so I went at a local car parts store and bought 2 springs for 5$, then I went at the hardware store for some special (beveled) bolts for 3$ (SS) ... And asked my uncle who is machinist to fabricate nut for the swivel. So 8$ later and 5h of labor :

Then I had a small dent on my front rim, so I decided tu take it of and use a 12 ton press and some hardwood blocking to make it perfect again But I had to remove the tire.. so I jumped on the occasion to fabricated my little tire removal kit :
Old 02-16-2013, 04:55 PM   #28
blacktruck
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
Thumb Great looking trip

I'm in. This is one I've wanted to do for some time. I'm still away and not riding for a bit so I want to watch the show from afar.
Ride safe man and have some fun.
Old 02-16-2013, 05:31 PM   #29
BigToad
The Bone Destroyer

Oddometer: 193
sounds like you will have a blast.... definitely download the TCAT GPS files....lots of cool backroads.

Definitely shake some gear! The trip is way more fun with far less gear/weight to pack everyday, you wont regret it! You can always buy a cheap tshirt at the tourist stops if ya get to smelly between washes..... Not sure what you get for mileage on the GS however when im going between points with no fuel stops I cruise slow and easy on throttle to extend the range.. you may wish to check out www.rotopax.com. perhaps you can mount one on the side of the bike which doesn't effect the handling as much? For 95% of the trip my guess is you have enough range built in......
BigToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:00 PM   #30
CAN-ADVer OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigToad View Post
sounds like you will have a blast.... definitely download the TCAT GPS files....lots of cool backroads.

Definitely shake some gear! The trip is way more fun with far less gear/weight to pack everyday, you wont regret it! You can always buy a cheap tshirt at the tourist stops if ya get to smelly between washes..... Not sure what you get for mileage on the GS however when im going between points with no fuel stops I cruise slow and easy on throttle to extend the range.. you may wish to check out www.rotopax.com. perhaps you can mount one on the side of the bike which doesn't effect the handling as much? For 95% of the trip my guess is you have enough range built in......
Hey! I am not bringing the two gallons with me on the trip, they will be great for the closer to home trip on fire roads. I thought I was going to but the 990 adveventure will limit our mileage so I don't have to worry! The backpack will probably be as close to empty as possible.. I plan to use it on hikes and stuff! And I probably have enough rnge for 99% you are right! Worst case I will buy gas tank over there :P You are right for sure on the packing every morning :O God can I hate packing wet stuff on a cold morning