Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2013, 06:49 AM   #16
mdfehrmann
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 338
Klim waterproof boot liners are the way to go.
I use wool Icebreakers for all my base layers, shirts, and socks. (they do not feel like wool, it's awesome stuff, dries fast, and takes days to start being stinky)
The synthetics get rank quickly and take a long time to dry if wet or washed in the stream.

I would reconsider the tt skid plate and run a weld 86.
(if you want to know why pm me)

Dunlop 908rr rear at 30+ psi should get you 5000 +/- miles on the wide adventure rim.

When I started living off the bike while traveling the thing I over packed were clothes.
On the trail you do not need much duplicate, of course sleeping on the ground
trail side I'm not trying to win any beauty contests, nor was I worried about
offending anyone.

The RR is a fun ride, did it last year on the 950 Adventure!

Matthew

2006 KTM 950 ADV S - 2004 Sherco 2.9
http://www.mdfeditions.com/
http://www.cjdesignsllc.com/
mdfehrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:48 PM   #17
Boatman
Ride more, BS less!

Oddometer: 9,796
As for cooking/meals..... the past two years I've brought the Jet boil, a couple "just in case" freeze dried meals, coffee fixin's and a few different granola bars. First year I just stopped and picked up a sub or something for dinner before getting to camp. Last year Unga and I stopped to have a meal at a restraunt before getting to camp each day. Keep it simple and light.

I'm thinking if the weather forcast is decent this year I may just bring a Gortex bivy sack instead of the tent.

And lastly,,,, I favor the inflatable sleeping pads instead of the foam rollies. Pack smaller and sleeping on air is more comfy. Big Agnes is my current choice. Not self inflating but 12 full breathes is all it takes to inflate.

Hi/low beam conversions for: Trail Tech, Baja Designs
Boatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:56 PM   #18
mdfehrmann
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by PS-RagE View Post
Coordinate with your riding partners to minimize duplicate items (i.e. tools, tubes, pump, cook stove, etc).
I wouldn't suggest this. There have been times when it's necessary to split up the group, I like to be self sustaining cause things do happen where you go different directions. What if a bike breaks down you take off to get parts or help and bust a flat doing that, then you remember you are not the one carrying tubes. What if your buddy in charge of carrying the tubes or food or whatever, doesn't pack them on the bike...a million more...

2006 KTM 950 ADV S - 2004 Sherco 2.9
http://www.mdfeditions.com/
http://www.cjdesignsllc.com/
mdfehrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:14 PM   #19
Apple Jam
Forest Flyer

Oddometer: 6,121
Quote:
Originally Posted by go2cnavy View Post
The peer pressure is overwhelming. Maybe I should ride. I just don't like the idea of seven hours of slab time to get there.
I pretty sure none of us are suggesting 7 hours of slab....
We're suggesting 2-5 days of riding as much dirt as you can find along the way,
...and camping where each day ends.

The actual event is often only a small part of the whole "adventure"
You just haven't caught the "bug" yet....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdfehrmann View Post
I wouldn't suggest this. There have been times when it's necessary to split up the group, I like to be self sustaining cause things do happen where you go different directions. What if a bike breaks down you take off to get parts or help and bust a flat doing that, then you remember you are not the one carrying tubes. What if your buddy in charge of carrying the tubes or food or whatever, doesn't pack them on the bike...a million more...
What mdfehrmann said......pack your own emergency stuff.
A self reliance attitude might save your ass one day
...then that land should be open for public use" (peterman)
Apple Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:44 PM   #20
go2cnavy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Jam View Post
I pretty sure none of us are suggesting 7 hours of slab....
We're suggesting 2-5 days of riding as much dirt as you can find along the way,
...and camping where each day ends.
If I can find the extra few days in my leave schedule, I will gladly take the time to ride up

Quote:
You just haven't caught the "bug" yet....
I'm beginning to catch on

Quote:
What mdfehrmann said......pack your own emergency stuff.
A self reliance attitude might save your ass one day
This is our plan...Never know when you're going to need something; I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

990A / 450 EXC R/ 250 EXC/ 450R - for sale
go2cnavy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:56 PM   #21
motoroberto
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 130
Went last year, also on an '07 990. Had Heidenaus, great for slab or rock/gravel/dirt (just not sand but you wont see any of that). Rode up from Brooklyn on slab then took nothing but backroads home, beautiful.
Black Dog bash plate.
There were good places to eat throughout each day. Unless they've changed the route, you save a ton of space w/o cooking gear.
I use a big agnes to sleep on also, very comfy but takes me a bit more than 12 breaths.
It's a great event, have fun.

Brooklyn to Puerto Escondido, MX:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=931315
motoroberto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:08 PM   #22
Boatman
Ride more, BS less!

Oddometer: 9,796
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoroberto View Post
Went last year, also on an '07 990. Had Heidenaus, great for slab or rock/gravel/dirt (just not sand but you wont see any of that). Rode up from Brooklyn on slab then took nothing but backroads home, beautiful.
Black Dog bash plate.
There were good places to eat throughout each day. Unless they've changed the route, you save a ton of space w/o cooking gear.
I use a big agnes to sleep on also, very comfy but takes me a bit more than 12 breaths.
You missed Ted's evil plan to include deep sand this year....

Hi/low beam conversions for: Trail Tech, Baja Designs
Boatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:15 PM   #23
motoroberto
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 130
Well then. Giddy up.

Brooklyn to Puerto Escondido, MX:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=931315
motoroberto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:22 PM   #24
go2cnavy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 480
Maximizing dirt roads enroute

If I do decide to ride instead of trailer, the goal will be to avoid major highways and find as much back country roads (preferably dirt). As I am new to this trip planning, what is the best resource to find these "roads?"

990A / 450 EXC R/ 250 EXC/ 450R - for sale
go2cnavy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:45 PM   #25
bigbadandugly
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 385
Here's my list:
  • Big Agnes Seedhouse SL2 tent - A two-man (not really - more like one man and his gear) super-light tent - packs super small, but a big guy and his soaking wet motorcycle gear may not be a pretty picture. For motorcycle touring, I think I would prefer the SL3 3-man tent which is new this year - I used this tent last summer through some nasty rain storms and it's rock solid I will be getting the footprint this year to go under the tent
  • Exped DownMat 9 (long and wide) - this puppy is more comfortable than the mattress in my bedroom. Will use my Cycle Pump to inflate.
  • Mountain Equipment Co-op sleeping bag - I think it's a synthetic 3-season
  • Marino wool Icebreaker undergarments - As mdfehrmann said, this stuff is the real deal. One set will do you your commute up, the four day rally, and the return trip. It's no cheap, but it's not made in China either.
  • Pack clothing based on the weather - if rain is in the forecast, I'll be packing extra to ensure I have dry clothing. If no rain, I will reusing clothing.
  • Toiletries and possibly small towel in event the campsites have showers
  • My CPAP machine
  • Small first aid kit (not suitable for surgeries)
  • Tire repair kit
  • Crappy, disposable shoes and possibly a collapsible chair
All of the above will be packed in two Wolfman bags saddle bags and perhaps a Wolfman duffel bag, along with whatever dry food I bring. My toolkit stays under the seat, although I might wrap it in a plastic bag to ensure it's dry.

Food: I'm local, so I'm planning for four dinners (Thursday-Sunday) and three breakfasts and lunches)

• I haven't thought to much about food this far in advance, but I plan to make it simple. I will most likely plan for dinners in restaurants or take out to the campsite. Breakfast will likely be a combination of restaurants or whatever I can pick up at the closest stop. Lunches will be granola bars, beef jerky, nut mixes, with whatever fruit I can pick up at breakfast. Homemade beef jerky will be a staple. I'm not that experienced an outdoor cook that I can fire up a stove, cook a meal, and clean up in under an hour. that's valuable beer drinking and socializing time.
  • Four a four day trip in which I want to pack light (I ride a R1200GS), I don't see the point in bringing a stove and cookware for a few meals.
I believe Ted stated somewhere that he was going to make sure there would be sufficient gas stops for those running the 250 dirt bikes with 2 gallon gas tanks, so leave the Roto's at home.
bigbadandugly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 01:51 AM   #26
georgedaman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
[QUOTE=go2cnavy;20420353]
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgedaman View Post

Is this disappointment from lack of overall mileage or capability? I really don't care if I have to replace it when the ride is over. At $110 for the rear, it's nearly a disposable item.
The mileage was terrible,the performance was ok except in deep sand....
georgedaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 04:41 PM   #27
MrSandman818
INaVANdownBYtheRIVER

Oddometer: 798
Quote:
Originally Posted by go2cnavy View Post
I guess my post got cut off...
One of my biggest concerns is packing for the trip.
I want to take a minimalist approach when it comes to food and cooking related items. I also want to minimize the amount of clothing I have to pack. Any suggestions for a four day trip?
If the route is the same then there are plenty of places to eat. Just bring jerky and some ensure(old people drinks) and plenty of water. The lighter the better on this ride. mostly a fairly easy high speed ride. Some technical sections on a big loaded twin. The next important thing is to really make sure your bike is good to go for 1000 miles. bring all required tools to dig into your bike and expect the unexpected. Also dont forget the first aid kit!

one of my front brake lines got ripped off by 11am on day one (thanks again to drif10 for everything, that man is a savior out there. Who knew there was a ktm dealer on a back country road!), a couple of the guys i was riding with went to the hospital. It was turtle mating season so there was a few crossing the gravel roads after blind corners. swing arm bolt rattled off sometime on the ride, among other crazy things.

It is definitly an amazing ride and and a great group of guys. Im already going through my bike to prep it. This time im going to travel much lighter and leave the 32mm wrench that weighted 10 lbs home. hahaha. I have a crap ton of pics loaded from the ride on the roaming rally page.
1978 Batavus 48
MrSandman818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 04:43 PM   #28
MrSandman818
INaVANdownBYtheRIVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbadandugly View Post
I believe Ted stated somewhere that he was going to make sure there would be sufficient gas stops for those running the 250 dirt bikes with 2 gallon gas tanks, so leave the Roto's at home.
Yeah I got made fun of for bringing my rotos. I ended up leaving them in my truck.... along with my sleeping bag. I regretted leaving my bag cuz it got cold at night!
1978 Batavus 48
Old 01-13-2013, 04:45 PM   #29
MrSandman818
INaVANdownBYtheRIVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoroberto View Post
Black Dog bash plate.

Hey dude! hows the ankle? you should get that g2 cam throttle for this year. hope I can break away from work for this years ride.
1978 Batavus 48
Old 01-14-2013, 10:11 AM   #30
Xtremjeepn
Motorhead!

Oddometer: 1,593
Wicked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Jam View Post

I did 18,000 miles from about April to September riding around the country and going to various "Rallys" I bet only 500 of those miles were actually while at the rally.

Several times I met other riders along the way, at the rally or on the way back and ended up riding with them for hundreds or thousands of miles I even took an "800 mile left turn" to meet up with some guys I met at a rally earlier in the year

As for packing the bike, here are a few misc tips.

-You really only need a complete set of clothes and something to wear while cleaning/drying those clothes. I usually have 2 tshirts,(the tshirts should help keep the outer layers cleaner) a long sleeve, a mid layer, and my riding gear. 1 pair of pants and 1 pair of shorts for swimming.

I run with long beach type swim shorts for under wear most of the time. It dries very quickly and you can strip down to it anywhere in public and not worry about being harassed by the cops or ??. It also does not tend to get stinky and cleans quickly.

I use a Keen hiking sandal when I'm not on the bike. With riding socks unter them they look like shoes and can be used as a hiking shoe, but you can also use them to visit a pool, hottub or just let your feet breath. Packs down flatter than most shoes and gives a dual benefit.

I run hard bags since there was lots of road use and that's what came with the bike. I also may carry more camera gear than most. Easy to unload it and leave in a tent if you are camped for multiple days. You should be able to get as much or more stuff in the soft bags. I was also carrying a HUGE tent and chair on my back seat since I was living off the bike. A "a-lite" chair and smaller tent would have easily fit in my top box.

Good luck, ride and enjoy

(she was kinda hot Got to hang out with her all by myself for over 30 minutes waiting for the "pilot car". During that time the sun really started to cook and I needed to strip out my insulating layers. It was nice to have "shorts" on under all that gear so that I did not end up with some sort of federal case for exposing myself to the flag girl)

06 KTM 950 Adventure(The Fainting Goat)
02 F650GS DAKAR
2 KLR650s Travel bikes http://coffeemotorcycleswine.blogspot.com/
Xtremjeepn is offline   Reply With Quote