ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2012, 05:22 PM   #16
Boondox OP
Travels With Barley

Oddometer: 2,976
Primitive camp sounds good. Can't find Steer Creek though, even zooming all the way in on Google Maps. I'm assuming if I turn just past the Merritt Reservoir and take 16F, somewhere between the north shore of the lake and where it connects to NE20 I'll find the campground..?

Tmaximusv -- Your 92 to Dunning Rd back to 2 route has been marked on the map. Barley loves meeting new people, but we'd be a bit late for breakfast. I'll be starting in Red Oak IA that morning, so would probably pass thru your neck of the woods (Plains?) early to mid-afternoon.
I got a sidecar to travel with my dog. He never complains, is delighted to be with me, approves of my dietary choices, is a social butterfly who helps me meet folks, appreciates a good beer, snuggles better than my wife, and hangs on my every word as if it's the most profound thing he's ever heard. TravelsWithBarley.com
Boondox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 06:04 PM   #17
flyrodder
Donny, please.

Oddometer: 3,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondox View Post
Primitive camp sounds good. Can't find Steer Creek though, even zooming all the way in on Google Maps. I'm assuming if I turn just past the Merritt Reservoir and take 16F, somewhere between the north shore of the lake and where it connects to NE20 I'll find the campground..?
If you go north over the Merritt dam road then into McKelvie NF, you will eventually come to a "T" intersection (State Spur 16F), go south at the intersection. The campground is on the north side of the road; at most 2 miles.

Some explanation of McKelvie National Forest might be in order -- not really much "forest" there. Maybe 3000 total acres of trees out of about 116,000 acres. The areas with trees were largely, if not completely, planted. The campground has big ponderosa pines etc. But it is an excellent example of the unique Nebraska Sand Hills region where you can wander around.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:49 AM   #18
autolycos
True vulgarian

Oddometer: 4,207
Quote:

Tmaximusv -- Your 92 to Dunning Rd back to 2 route has been marked on the map. Barley loves meeting new people, but we'd be a bit late for breakfast. I'll be starting in Red Oak IA that morning, so would probably pass thru your neck of the woods (Plains?) early to mid-afternoon.
One thing to be aware of: last I knew there is no reliable 24 hr gas between Arnold and Thedford. Anyone know of the current fueling status in Dunning and Halsey?
autolycos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:56 PM   #19
tbirdsp
REMF

Oddometer: 8,731
Quote:
Originally Posted by autolycos View Post
One thing to be aware of: last I knew there is no reliable 24 hr gas between Arnold and Thedford. Anyone know of the current fueling status in Dunning and Halsey?
Funny - on my way up to the Black Hills in May '09 I ran out of gas on my KLR in Halsey, thought there was an open station there. Had to buy gas from the nice fella at the little motel there, out of his mower jug.

I think there was a nice new-ish BP in Dunning where 91 hits 2 ( which I rode right by )

4 year-old info, but I doubt things have changed in Halsey.
http://www.reddeliciousband.com
tbirdsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:09 PM   #20
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,631
There is a full service (as far as that goes in today's world) station at Dunning.
Old 01-08-2013, 02:15 PM   #21
Powershouse
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,194
If you were to follow Hwy 12 along the Nebraska side of the Missouri River there is a nice campground with scenic overlooks in Niobrara.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:16 PM   #22
autolycos
True vulgarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdsp View Post
Funny - on my way up to the Black Hills in May '09 I ran out of gas on my KLR in Halsey, thought there was an open station there. Had to buy gas from the nice fella at the little motel there, out of his mower jug.

I think there was a nice new-ish BP in Dunning where 91 hits 2 ( which I rode right by )

4 year-old info, but I doubt things have changed in Halsey.
I know the one you're talking about, but I have no idea if they have card control pumps. They didn't in ' 05 or '06.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:21 PM   #23
autolycos
True vulgarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian™ View Post
There is a full service (as far as that goes in today's world) station at Dunning.
they updated their pumps? If so, Hallelujah. If not, that makes a long stretch, about 80-90 miles from Arnold to Thedford. Merna to Thedford is 120 that route, and Broken Bow is 130. Be prepared.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:57 PM   #24
Bshelton
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 381
+1 for the sandhills being a nice ride
Old 01-09-2013, 09:27 AM   #25
Tmaximusv
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 735
Quote:

Tea and unwatering both of you then?

BTW, most of central NE has exactly two flavors of petrol: 87 and e10 89. If your bike is picky, plan on bringing some flavor enhancer with you.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:37 AM   #26
flyrodder
Donny, please.

Oddometer: 3,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmaximusv View Post
Tea and unwatering both of you then?

BTW, most of central NE has exactly two flavors of petrol: 87 and e10 89. If your bike is picky, plan on bringing some flavor enhancer with you.
And diesel............!
Old 01-12-2013, 01:51 PM   #27
inline4
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,082
Missouri

My recomendation is; follow the Missouri North from Omaha, toward Sioux City and then West around the top of NE.
Remember, the word is remote.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:36 PM   #28
zoid
Dirty Old Hippie

Oddometer: 1,197
Quote:
Originally Posted by inline4 View Post
My recomendation is; follow the Missouri North from Omaha, toward Sioux City and then West around the top of NE.
That would be my choice. All of the routes suggested so far are remote, this one is the best in my opinion.
zoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:21 AM   #29
Boondox OP
Travels With Barley

Oddometer: 2,976
Quote:
Originally Posted by inline4 View Post
That's my route coming back. Thx
I got a sidecar to travel with my dog. He never complains, is delighted to be with me, approves of my dietary choices, is a social butterfly who helps me meet folks, appreciates a good beer, snuggles better than my wife, and hangs on my every word as if it's the most profound thing he's ever heard. TravelsWithBarley.com
Boondox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 02:49 PM   #30
autolycos
True vulgarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoid View Post
That would be my choice. All of the routes suggested so far are remote, this one is the best in my opinion.
Considering the Badlands is the destination, I just can't quite understand your logic as well as if it were, say, Denver.