cant't wait to see that!
elgato gordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:26 PM   #62
B1
Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer: 3,078
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanADV View Post
IMO a shorter "beak" would really set it off. Great build.
just at the first stage of adventurizing the SV650, thought i'd try a motard fender to reduce the beak. still doesn't look quite right to me but as long as it keeps mud out of my eyes....

B1 screwed with this post 01-03-2013 at 07:50 PM
B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 05:17 AM   #63
jaydee1445
Footpeg Crash Tester

Oddometer: 3,873
jaydee1445 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 11:10 AM   #64
elgato gordo OP
KTMRFS

Oddometer: 491
Nice

Hey nice looking fender, what is it off of? I've been looking into a WR250RR fender to help my big beak issue.

Are those DR forks?

My attempt at more travel for the rear is ongoing. Made a new link that gives over 8 inches but the SV1000 spring is too wimpy so I ordered a Hyabusa 1300 shock with a 700 lb/in spring. Hope that will give it enough to get the sag close.

I'll just work backward to reduce the travel until the spring works out and the swingarm angle is tolerable, maybe design a chain tensioner if I have to.

Happy Holidays
Old 12-23-2012, 02:15 PM   #65
pennswoodsed
lizards,bugs and me

Oddometer: 675
Wink Dooooood !

Pictures ,please !!!!!!!
pennswoodsed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 07:43 PM   #66
elgato gordo OP
KTMRFS

Just waiting on Santa to deliver the new shock. Should be in this week sometime.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:46 PM   #67
B1
Carbon-based bipedal

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgato gordo View Post
Hey nice looking fender, what is it off of? I've been looking into a WR250RR fender to help my big beak issue.
Are those DR forks?
My attempt at more travel for the rear is ongoing. Made a new link that gives over 8 inches but the SV1000 spring is too wimpy so I ordered a Hyabusa 1300 shock with a 700 lb/in spring. Hope that will give it enough to get the sag close.
I'll just work backward to reduce the travel until the spring works out and the swingarm angle is tolerable, maybe design a chain tensioner if I have to.
Happy Holidays
hey gordo
sorry for the late response, been busy on the bike. the front fender was just a generic motard one, can't even remember if it was polisports or ufo. but figure they'd all be pretty similar. a motard fender should suit given it's shaped for a 17 inch wheel.

the forks are just a cheap pair i got off an XT600 1988 model. i hear you on the rear shock... the front rides nicely now, but would be great to just slip in a stock shock from another bike with more travel and the correct spring on it already!

only been road riding so far but will get a decent 250 mile adventure ride in this sunday then report if there are any issues.
i did a write up on my build so far on this thread.
posted some pics too, here are a few. the prototype seat is ugly as sin but definitely comfy.

B1 screwed with this post 01-08-2013 at 07:12 PM
Old 01-04-2013, 09:15 PM   #68
elgato gordo OP
KTMRFS

B1

Lookin good. I really like the tires what are they?

Let me know how your ride goes. You have to get on some sand and let me know what you think. I went down to Big Bend area last weekend and did a little more sand on mine. Still not too bad even with the Shinko tires. I'll be shopping for some knobs after I get the new suspension link done.

Here are some pics of the first linkage. It had too much travel and too much sag so I am reducing it a little for the next one. So far I think the Hyabusa shock should be able to handle what I have in mind, about 8 inches.

Old 01-08-2013, 07:11 PM   #69
B1
Carbon-based bipedal

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgato gordo View Post
B1

Lookin good. I really like the tires what are they?
Let me know how your ride goes. You have to get on some sand and let me know what you think. I went down to Big Bend area last weekend and did a little more sand on mine. Still not too bad even with the Shinko tires. I'll be shopping for some knobs after I get the new suspension link done.
hey gordo

rear tire is a mitas E07 10/70-17. expensive but they last ages, and it feel pretty good on dirt and road.
the front is just a bridgestone trailwing rear tire from a DR650. it was given to me so just thought i'd give it a go.

rode through some very soft deep sand last weekend for a few hundred yards at a time. it was a series of corners so couldn't really get the speed up to ride on top of the sand... but the front is so wide there wasn't really a tendency to dig in. but there was still quite a bit of arse puckering as i went through with both legs stuck out like outriggers most of the time. she ain't a husaberg FE570 off road...

very interested to see how you go with the rear suspension, i reckon it is the lack of rear travel that is very limiting on anything other than easy dirt roads.

EDIT: you've probably already seen this, but just found a useful link comparing the shocks that fit the SV650 here. i was kinda hoping there was a shock with more travel than the SV650 one but looks like not much chance of that...

B1 screwed with this post 01-11-2013 at 10:13 PM Reason: added link
Old 01-25-2013, 06:07 PM   #70
elgato gordo OP
KTMRFS

Suspension Update

OK got the latest knuckle done with less overall wheel travel and new 303 SS links and the Hayabusa shock. Getting about 8 inches of travel now. With the swingarm angle as it is there is no chain contact on the frame but can't go any more with out a chain guide or tension device.

Works pretty well for easy riding but still get the tire hitting the fender on bigger hits. The bottoming is not noticeable when riding but the marks are there. This setup is much improved from the GSX shock. This weekend I'll try to tear the shock apart and put some more shims in to increase the comp and rebound damping.

The stock 13 kg/mm spring is a little light and had to crank it up to the point where there is no static sag so after I see if I can increase the damping I'll shop for a bigger spring. The Hayabusa springs are available in stiffness up to 20Kg/mm I think.

Old 01-25-2013, 11:27 PM   #71
DaBit
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 345
Wow, 8", that's great!

Would you mind to share the drawing of that linkage? I happen to have aquired a CNC mill recently...
DaBit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 04:43 AM   #72
Ditch
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,022
You are having way too much fun with that mill Gordon.
When are you ready to get a dirt bike out again?
Old 01-26-2013, 07:35 AM   #73
elgato gordo OP
KTMRFS

DB ride

DaBit- PM sent

Ditch-Well we had a couple of days last weekend but looks like that's over. If you would stop buying bike the weather would get better. I'm up for Rainbow sometime.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:59 AM   #74
jaydee1445
Footpeg Crash Tester

Oddometer: 3,873
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabit View Post
wow, 8", that's great!

Would you mind to share the drawing of that linkage?
+1
jaydee1445 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 04:31 PM   #75
pennswoodsed
lizards,bugs and me

Oddometer: 675
me too ism

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee1445 View Post
+1
I hate to pig pile but , I would gladly pay for part or print .
Thanks,Ed
pennswoodsed is offline   Reply With Quote