User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2013, 01:18 PM   #1
turnitonagain OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
Routes to Inuvik

This coming summer I'm heading off into the horizon toward Inuvik.... Now, I have had some members give me some of their routes (starting from ontario) I'm just wondering and would like to hear some suggestions of routes you have taken to Inuvik. Currently, I'm going to be sticking through the Northern parts of : MB (the pas ), SK (Nipawin, Prince Albert) AB (Cold lake, lac la biche, athabasca, slave lake, High prairie) finally BC (Dawson creek, ft st john, ft nelson) etccc into YT and then finally into NT... Are there alternate routes starting from Manitoba all the way to BC that can be taken or that others have used before.

Thanks
turnitonagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 03:41 PM   #2
JimmieA
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,191
I went to Flin Flon Man. that is a little north of The Pas and went south on The Road to Resources in Sask, that is Hw# 106 to Smeaton and #55 to Prince Alberta and on to Cold Lake on #55. Spend a little time in Flin Flon it looks like a cool place, Canadian Shield, lots of big rocks. This route is almost all pavement. I have made a number of trips up towards The Pas, there are a few different routes to take, between the lakes is the most boring I think, close to Sask boarder maybe the best. This is really remote country up there.
2004 Honda XR400R
JimmieA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 03:53 PM   #3
turnitonagain OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmieA View Post
I went to Flin Flon Man. that is a little north of The Pas and went south on The Road to Resources in Sask, that is Hw# 106 to Smeaton and #55 to Prince Alberta and on to Cold Lake on #55. Spend a little time in Flin Flon it looks like a cool place, Canadian Shield, lots of big rocks. This route is almost all pavement. I have made a number of trips up towards The Pas, there are a few different routes to take, between the lakes is the most boring I think, close to Sask boarder maybe the best. This is really remote country up there.
ohh wow!! Sounds close to the route I'm taking, yet really cool.. I love to see new things... especially since it's my first ride out of the province (out west) I'm looking to see some real wilderness out here. I like it Flin Flon looks wicked! I'm going to map it out and give it a look see. Thanks Bro!
turnitonagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 03:35 PM   #4
skysailor
Rat Rider

Oddometer: 3,415
My only route to Inuvik is the one a certain Boeing takes out of Edmonton!
Lyle
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 03:50 PM   #5
JimmieA
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,191
I think you can ride to Inuvik but it is a wild and wooly ride. Rain is a bad thing on the road. The road ends there and turns into a winter road. Not that much for gas stops as well. There is a big bike festival up that way called D2D and you could plan to attend that and than go north from there. Might want to order new tires in Whitehorse before getting on the road, going from memory. There are lots of posts about D2D on here maybe in Travel Reports on the site. D2D means Dusk to Dawson 24 hour sunlight. I have been to Inuvik, it is a pretty cool place. Homes are built on stilts, drill a hole in the ground, put a post in the ground and pour water in the hole. The water freezes in the perma frost and thats your foundation. There are hot water heating pipes running everywhere so all the driveways go up over the pipes that include the water and sewer lines, nothing is in the ground.
2004 Honda XR400R
JimmieA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:38 PM   #6
bwokentoof
Pollyanna Man

Oddometer: 335
Don't sweat it

Inuvik is quite do-able. Just plan ahead and don't worry too much about sticking to schedules. Been there, done that....once on a GSA with bald tires and besides, if all those Harleys can do it anyone can.

Make sure you take a side trip up the Canol rd. Not to be missed!

Oh, and try and time it so you're in Dawson City for the music fest.......great party!
bwokentoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:58 AM   #7
Lappeman
He's Down Again!

Oddometer: 2,141
The Dempster is gravel mixed with crushed sharp rock. 750kms up to Inuvik and 750kms back down, one way in and one way out. Decent high speed road when dry, little hard on tires and watch for dust outs from passing truckers. Can get very bad when it's wet, very slick and sloppy. When it's wet, the dirt will stick and pack, wearing brake pads and if your following someone it can clog your rad. Also watch for newly plowed gravel, it's very deep and loose. There's gas at the start of the Dempster, as well as spraywash and store with info on the road. Gas also at about halfway point at Eagle Plains and further past Peel river at Fort McPherson. Two ferry across two rivers. Peel is pretty quick not too much wait but it can take up to an hour on the McKenzie. Mosquito's are almost as big as the wildlife up there, camping on high windy ridges can help. In June there's pretty much 24 hour sunlight up there and I found that if you like to see large wildlife, ride the road after 10pm and beyond. Saw Grizzlies and wolves. Any plans to hit Alaska? Take the ferry across from Dawson, YT and ride the "Top of the World Highway" to Chicken and Tok. From there you can loop around Alaska, Dalton and Denali or just come back to Yukon and over to Watson again. Many other options also. Don't forget to head down Highway 37 and visit Stewart, BC and Hyder, AK. There you can get "Hyderized" Also ride up into the mountains behind Hyder on the Granduc road, Fish creek (where the Grizzlies are) and a couple of big Glaciers back there. Back down and across to Jasper and across Icefields Parkway to Banff is a nice ride. From there you can head back east on the trans-canada or head south to Crowsnest Pass and thru back up to the trans-canada. Many, many options both paved and dirt. Check out Google and pick a route and have fun!!
2003 KLR 650 Alaskan Adventure
2007 YZ250F Blue Death

Lappeman screwed with this post 01-08-2013 at 01:16 AM
Lappeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:31 PM   #8
Durden
Freak!

Oddometer: 477
Did Inuvik from Calgary this summer, the link to the RR is below in my footer, take a look at the Whitehorse to Inuvik sections, some insight into conditions and route planning.

Its an amazing ride, well worth it, feel free to post any questions, otherwise have fun and leave some buffer days on the planning.
Durden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:14 PM   #9
squiffynimrod
maximum shrinkage

Oddometer: 1,111
I can only comment on the SK part of your trip but JimmieA has it right. From Flin Flon MB head west on Hwy 106, known as the Hanson Lake Rd. Paved and chip seal, but fully navigable. One of the best roads in SK for scenery until you go waaay north.There are numerous small campsites by lakes all around there, or stop at a PP. I would not camp at Prince Albert NP, super popular and gets crowded in the summer. I prefer Narrow Hills PP. But go to PANP and go to Waskesiu Lake for a visit and a swim. Once you finish with Hwy 106 and hit Hwy 55 you'll be out of the boreal forest and in through farmland mixed with forested areas. With SK the forest line runs a descending diagonal- kind of from Cold Lake on the AB side to Swan River on the MB side. You can see it on Google maps. North of that, it's boreal forests until you hit tundra. South of that, well I hope you like straight and flat. So stay North and have fun.
"Why do thy think that their rubber is so much more valuable than everybody elses? Is it excised from the whelted buttock of some high ranking supplicant at madam Swartz's House Of Pain? Is it pre-soaked with the quim of alien virgins? Do they hand deliver it and fit it for me whilst plying me with Bolinger and tickling my baw sack with a Dodo feather?"- Bonkers the Dog
squiffynimrod is online now   Reply With Quote