ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2012, 01:57 PM   #46
neo1piv014
ADV in training

Oddometer: 619
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joetool View Post
Hey all. Hello, Just got a KLR650 (2011).At 43 just got my First bike ever. I live above Boulder, so trails galore. After my MSF class, I need to armor it up for my inevitable drops...
Stoked to drop into some remote fly fishing areas after I get proficient.

Joe
Welcome to the forums! You picked a damn solid bike as your first. You'll undoubtedly end up spending hours of your time as well as thousands of dollars getting it dressed up anyways, but Twisted Throttle and Happy Trail both have very solid armor for your bike that will keep it safe throughout the many drops it'll be subjected to out on the trails.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2
"The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely improbable lacks."
neo1piv014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:17 PM   #47
PrairieRider
Gearing down for Hell

Oddometer: 3,879
Quote:
Originally Posted by neo1piv014 View Post
Welcome to the forums! You picked a damn solid bike as your first. You'll undoubtedly end up spending hours of your time as well as thousands of dollars getting it dressed up anyways, but Twisted Throttle and Happy Trail both have very solid armor for your bike that will keep it safe throughout the many drops it'll be subjected to out on the trails.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2
I've also found a fair number of things here at a reasonable price.
1994 Beta Techno 250

Striving to do better.
PrairieRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:47 AM   #48
hoffa509
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Looking to a move to Colorado Springs

My list of possible assignments are out and I am trying to decide my next Army duty. There are many things to consider, job, schools, wife happiness, ect. Here I would like to focus on motorcycle riding. I like to dual sport, trail ride, and I compete in Vintage Trials. Is there a good resource to list local LEGAL riding opportunities? Local clubs and events? I think any area will have more available than my current duty assignment in Maryland.
Old 12-08-2012, 09:21 AM   #49
Scoutin Wyo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Howdy,
Long time lurker here. I'm in my late 30's and started riding on an 1985 RM125, then a 1997 KX250, then our son was born, and 7 years later I picked up a 2010 DRZ400sm. I just sold the DRZ and picked up a 2006 525EXC. The super moto was fun for commuting around town but I'm LOVING trail riding on the KTM.

I'm in Cheyenne, WY and have started to explore the Snowies on two wheels instead of 4-low. Looking forward to meeting some of you folks on trail rides in Nor-CO or WY.

Brian
Scoutin Wyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 08:19 PM   #50
acidman1968
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
Hollaz!!!

Just call me "acid"... New to ADV, but not new to two-wheeled transportation. I grew up on enduros back in the 70s and 80s, but then was without a bike for a good 15+ years. Got a little street bike to get used to two wheels again, and after five years upgraded to a 2012 KLR650. I've been scoping out KLRs for a little over a decade, and finally pulled the trigger on one.

I'm in Northern Utah - west/southwest of Salt Lake City, and thankfully outside of the Salt Lake Valley. If anyone is passing through the area (or lives in the area) and wants to go for a ride, let me know! I work a weird 14 out of 28 day rotating schedule, so I've got quite a few days off that I can take advantage of.

...and just to explain the name: Yes, I make acid for a living - sulfuric acid - in large quantities.
acidman1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:07 AM   #51
imroc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
I live in southern Colorado in the San Luis Valley. I've been buying my kids dirt bikes (PW50, TTR90 & YZ85) so they can mess around in the area. I found my lack of experience on a dirt bike a hindrance to teaching them. I've always wanted a dirt bike myself since I was a kid, and finally at 39 yrs old I found an '87 XT350 in near perfect condition for $900. I want to take a few of the daughters (6, 8, 13) and myself to a decent but speedily efficient riding school to better prepare ourselves. I have several children, but as it is right now, the 3 listed are the interested and 'ridable' ages. So, in the long run, what ever school we choose must realize that I WILL be a return customer ;) .

We usually ride in the chico's and dirt and haven't ridden any mountain trails. I'd like to ride simple dirt road/trails with the kids when we get experience. My immediate concern is safety. I own a one-man heating and air conditioning service company and a simple broken bone could be devastating to our family's income. I realize that accidents are highly likely, thus, until my company grows and I hire another tech(s), I'll limit my riding to simplicity. The temptation is going to suck!

So, I'm here to read about your experiences, suggestions, instruction, etc

I'm looking into a school in Pueblos, since it seems to be the closest:
Company: WENMARK COMPANY
Site: WENMARK COMPANY
Phone: (303) 791-8161
Address: PUEBLO, CO 81006

Does anybody have experience with this company?

Pix? BTW, it just happened that we ended up with Yamahas.... never really went out looking for specifically yamaha. but i'm happy with em!

imroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:20 PM   #52
3pin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Hello,

My name is Robb and I live in Albuquerque and also get up to Durango pretty often in the summer.

My last bike was a YZ250 in 1982. Tomorrow I am picking up a plated 2003 WR250F with 828 miles on it. I have spent the last 30 years riding and racing bicycles and I am really looking forward to riding a motorcycle in the dirt again.

I grew up in Durango and used to ride Hermosa/ Dutch creek, the track in aztec and the trails south of the hospital in Farmington.

I am looking forward to meeting many of you on the trails. I am starting over as a complete noob so feel free to offer advice when you fly by me. If I can get some skills by summer I really want to go up for the RMAR in Silverton.

I got the bike today! This thing is super clean, I also got a really nice folding ramp and a brand new Maxxis rear tire. I can.t wait to ride it but I don't have any gear yet.

Plated 03 WR250F

3pin screwed with this post 01-06-2013 at 04:31 PM Reason: updated
3pin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:51 PM   #53
imroc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
THAT is a 10 yr old bike?! Nice! Hope to see ya around more. I'm in Alamosa, CO
imroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:46 PM   #54
3pin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by imroc View Post
THAT is a 10 yr old bike?! Nice! Hope to see ya around more. I'm in Alamosa, CO
Thanks, I am pretty happy with it. I got it registered and got a plate for it today, no inspection or anything. I also bought a new helmet today. I hope to ride it tomorrow.

JTW, heal up soon!

Plated 03 WR250F
3pin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:25 AM   #55
UtahFox
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 446
Heya All

Kind of new to motorcycles and ADVing. I'm looking forward to a lot of rides in the Rockies over the next year, I'm not working ATM so hope to get busy riding. I love hiking as well and hope to do a little peak bagging in the area this coming Summer (god I do wish it were Summer). Don't know if anyone else is into this combo, but if so it'd be great to hook up for some riding & hiking.

Anyway, just wanted to give a shout out. Hope to see you around!

Dave
UtahFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:57 PM   #56
Patj551
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 553
[QUOTE=JTW;20420645]Hello Rockies! I'm a long time lurker as well. I've gotten so much information from this site, especially beautiful ride reports. I should have started posting a long time ago.

I've been riding dirt for over 10 years and I'm currently nursing a busted elbow. I hope to heal all winter and get back on my bike this spring. I'm on a 2008 KTM 250 XCFW and I started riding street last spring on a 2012 Ducati Hypermotard 796.

Hey JTW, I've bee checking out advrider quite some time too. Finally decided to do a couple posts. Been riding dirt bikes a long time and I love my Hypermotard 1100S for road twisties! Heal well & quickly.
Patj551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 03:42 PM   #57
Mala Suerte
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 335
Checkin' in.

My family and I just moved to Grand Junction, from Central OK. Lookin' forward to getting up into the mountains, I've been living in the flat lands for far too long.
Mala Suerte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:24 AM   #58
OurBC
Live to Travel

Oddometer: 359
Hello

My name is Gary and I am from British Columbia, also looking forward to travelling to Mesa Verde and Utah this summer.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:59 AM   #59
SportFaller
Dirt dont hurt, MUCH

Oddometer: 666
Hey all, Sportfaller checking in from Laramie, Wy. Just moved here from the Black Hills of SoDak. Currently bikeless , but I’ll be picking up either a 500ish husaberg or KTM this spring when I find the right one. I’d been riding a tricked out f800GS, but had to finance the move. Is there a local riding group in the SW Wyoming area? Anyone have a late model bikes for sale out there?
SportFaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 03:54 PM   #60
Aztlan59
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Laugh Hi everyone!

Hola Amigos!
Mi name is Roberto. I live in Aurora,CO.
I'm new to this forum and looking to find mates to ride with.
I enjoy discovering this beautiful state.
My ride is Tiger 800 XC [Broncos color]
Aztlan59 is offline   Reply With Quote