ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2013, 07:56 PM   #76
Pablo83 OP
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Oddometer: 4,767
Video of the main race

Rob is filming. There were 9 riders in our class, but five of them were on real bikes with heavily siped tires and they blow us out of the water. Of the four of us that knew each other, Rob gets the hole shot. Ryan passes him first, Bobby passes him second, and I pass him briefly on the third lap, but he re-passes me immediately. You'll notice Robs gets lapped twice by the winner (who happened to be a woman and a member of the Durelle family).

I think there's a better video of practice that hopefully will be posted soon.

Pablo83 screwed with this post 01-08-2013 at 07:09 AM
Pablo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:09 PM   #77
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 375
After watching your video, I decided that I want some practice before I show up for a race. If I get my bike put together this weekend, its game on for winter riding. I am going to be riding in Boulder County west of Peak to Peak highway on Saturday. Anyone is welcome to join me for some practice laps.

I am going to scour the garage for some old tires that I can donate to ice racing. Your video made it clear that siped tires are the only way that a bare tire can get traction. I am hoping to attend one of the races in January. Are you planning on racing again this season?
602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:07 AM   #78
Pablo83 OP
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by 602 View Post
Your video made it clear that siped tires are the only way that a bare tire can get traction. I am hoping to attend one of the races in January. Are you planning on racing again this season?
Most of the conversation that day revolved around how we could get extra tires for siping; it's clearly the way to go. Also, lower bikes are better. The girl that wooped us was on a BSA with a seat about the height of my son's TTR125.

Future dates TBA.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:29 AM   #79
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Oddometer: 8,634
Anyone running sticky radial trials tires? Are they allowed? One of those at 4psi would be the hot ticket.

HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:31 AM   #80
Gnarly Adventurer

I quickly read the rules last night. I do not remember any rules regarding the type or condition of any tires in the bare tire class. I think you are on to something here.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:38 AM   #81
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Oddometer: 8,634
Quote:
Originally Posted by 602 View Post
I quickly read the rules last night. I do not remember any rules regarding the type or condition of any tires in the bare tire class. I think you are on to something here.
I like the IRC radial. Very soft rubber. I would try it first without cutting. Watching the video, it doesn't look like glaze ice, so I think they would hook up pretty well on the white sections.

HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:05 AM   #82
modette
RMAR

Oddometer: 4,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellSickle View Post
I like the IRC radial. Very soft rubber. I would try it first without cutting. Watching the video, it doesn't look like glaze ice, so I think they would hook up pretty well on the white sections.
Yeah I was picturing ice rink type of ice....

I don't own a low enough motorcycle, it would make sense to be as low as possible.
modette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:12 AM   #83
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellSickle View Post
Im headed to the shop in a few minutes I'll see if they have any 19" tires that might do the trick. Riding a motocross bike could make this interesting. Not exactly a lowered machine.

What are you up to this weekend? If I get my legs back for my bike, I am riding both days. One day east to go practice sand and one day west to go practice ice. The invite is always extended.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:35 AM   #84
Raul Duke
DROC

Oddometer: 1,744
What you will see on the folks that have been doing this bare tire for awhile is siping is eveything. They cut the shit out of those tires, and they really dont care about how tall or big the knobbies are. Most of the good bare tire folks are running circle track tires siped like crazy - the rubber is maybe 1/4 tall.
Riding the KTM 525 was fine, but the biggest problem I had was having the rear to hook at all. As for the ice, what you are seeing is the "snow" on the outside track is actually the ground ice from the studded bikes. That "snow" is sitting on some nicely polished ice under. Trust me, its slicker than snot with normal tires. I found myself horizontal in the second practice heat when I thought it had more traction than it actually did - the rear of the bike passed the front of my bike, and I ended up pointed the wrong way.
It is a hoot, and I think Im going to give it another go this weekend, this time with some siped take-off tires one of the races gave me. It will be interesting to see how much siping really helps.
COHVCO
TPA

Raul Duke screwed with this post 01-08-2013 at 11:43 AM
Raul Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:50 PM   #85
COXR650L
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul Duke View Post
You are always welcome to crash at our place the night before.
Thanks Ryan

Westfest 2013
Canyonlands Adventure Ride
COXR650L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:20 PM   #86
thump_co
..ouch

Oddometer: 1,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo83 View Post
Most of the conversation that day revolved around how we could get extra tires for siping; it's clearly the way to go. Also, lower bikes are better. The girl that wooped us was on a BSA with a seat about the height of my son's TTR125.

Future dates TBA.
Hmmm.. this could be ideal on the missus lowered XR250. Might have to get started on some old tire siping.

AMA | COHVCO | Stay The Trail | BRC | TPA | BCTR | NCTR
thump_co is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:47 AM   #87
modette
RMAR

Oddometer: 4,069
I'm taking it somehow studded class put you in a no holds bar group....So another words no happy in between group for noobs unless you just go out and hit the ice on your own.
modette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:17 AM   #88
Raul Duke
DROC

Oddometer: 1,744
Quote:
Originally Posted by modette View Post
I'm taking it somehow studded class put you in a no holds bar group....So another words no happy in between group for noobs unless you just go out and hit the ice on your own.
We were hoping for a novice bare tire class, but I was told they normally dont have enough noobs to justify a novice bare tire class. There is a studded novice class, but no novice class for bare tire. We were pushed into bare tire B which gave us no real chance of competing with the normal B class riders, but it was still fun.
COHVCO
TPA
Raul Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:24 PM   #89
grizCP
DROC

Oddometer: 285
Finally got the pics from a friend:

Shooting the shit before the race as only true adventure riders can....

Lap 1 Heat Race- Pablo83 (Paul), Rob, grizCP (Bob), Raul Duke (Ryan)...

The best advice always comes from a man in a suit... especially about ice racing.

Start of the final... probably the best picture of how freaking fun this day was...

Ryan about to be lapped by #40...

Bob about to be lapped by #75 and #17... although I boxed 17 out pretty good... also check out the duds! (plug for Dubinky!)

Paul getting lapped for the second time by #40...

Chase... the most respectable ice racer!

Can't wait for this weekend. Bigger bike, siped tires... GET SOME!
grizCP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:44 PM   #90
Pablo83 OP
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizCP View Post

Lap 1 Heat Race- Pablo83 (Paul), Rob, grizCP (Bob), Raul Duke (Ryan)...
WOW! I actually led for a small portion of one of the laps??? Look how slow Ryan is.