Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2013, 03:44 PM   #15316
Dallara
Creaks When Walks...

Oddometer: 1,760
Laugh More stickers for Jaumev!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
Just put a high octane sticker on the bike. It will never know.

I too have run the bottom of the barrel stuff and would have never known the difference.

Here ya' go...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Fuel-Pum...-/300562096240

Of course, we're taking US numbers here.

Dallara

~

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrist's office

~
Dallara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:42 PM   #15317
Flydream
King of the Atlantic

Oddometer: 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaumev View Post
Sorry about change subject in this very interesting conversation about big mouth sharks… At least is more interesting that KLR conversations….

I’m planning a trip to Morocco. In there is quite usual to fill petrol with low octane. Does anybody has any experience how it works in the Super 10?

Thanks!
I did 4500 km in Morocco and never notice anything different in my bike.
Flydream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:31 PM   #15318
Xeroo
sweeet!

Oddometer: 20
Hey folks!

Its a good deal now to buy a new 2011 model here in Sweden but theres mostly blacks bikes out in the market.

no 2012 White models left to buy.....

but i have fallen for the 2013 matt grey is which is very Nice
but for the same money i get a black bike with worldcrosser kit and panniers and almost a slipon :)

sooo i dont know ...i think im going for black
Old 01-08-2013, 11:51 PM   #15319
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeroo View Post
Hey folks!

Its a good deal now to buy a new 2011 model here in Sweden but theres mostly blacks bikes out in the market.

no 2012 White models left to buy.....

but i have fallen for the 2013 matt grey is which is very Nice
but for the same money i get a black bike with worldcrosser kit and panniers and almost a slipon :)

sooo i dont know ...i think im going for black
I luv the gray but I'd be riding that black one home as well. Sweet deal.
2006 Djebel 250XC
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:59 PM   #15320
jaumev
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,471
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post
Basically the same as trip to country areas in Australia. You have a choice out there. Diesel or 91RON. Guess which one I tend to go for?

Just make sure you don't "lug" the bike in high temps. Works for me. I use 95RON nearly all the time, 91RON if I have to and I have used 100RON once, 98RON twice. Bike just seems to work best on 95 but the differences are minor.

The only thing that is an issue is BAD 91RON doesn't leave you much wiggle room. But if you know the bike then you know when the wiggle has run out of room.
Sorry, what "lug" means?

I use 95 RON as well.
In Morocco I hadn't have any trouble with the GSA but you never know witch octane you have in these "petrol stations"

Thanks!
jaumev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:07 AM   #15321
twinrider
pass the catnip

Lugging: When an internal combustion engine is run at overly low RPMs for the load being applied to it.
2006 Djebel 250XC
Old 01-09-2013, 03:51 AM   #15322
NicolasR
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Fuel tank capacity and range???

Hi to all, and happy new year by the way!!!

I got back from a 3500 km trip on mi S10 trough Colombia. What a trip!!!
Last night I reviewed all the notes regarding fuel consumption and I averaged 77,2 Km per U.S gallon of fuel. Not bad at all. However, my doubt is the full range with a full-filled gas tank. I am asking because I always refueled the bike when the reserve indicator started blinking but it would only take 3,8 or 4 U.S gallons max. and that happened at the 320 kilometers-mark from full.
I checked and our S10 have a 6,08 U.S gal tank, which means that I could get around 450 km from a full tank.
Why the reserve comes at 320 around Km??
How long can you drive with the reserve??
According to my maths, the reserve is of about 2 U.S gallons. Is that correct??

The longest I have ridden my bike with the reserve on is for about 40 Km. I havent tried to get more kms for not harming the fuel pump when going dry, but apparently I could get even more before that happens.

I see you are now talking about fuel quality. Well, I had to buy low octane fuel twice and it made the bike runs about 5 degrees hotter.

Thanks
NicolasR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:41 AM   #15323
twinrider
pass the catnip

The manual lists the reserve as 1 gallon. Fuel economy tends to differ from rider to rider. The most accurate way to figure out how far you can go on reserve would be to take a ride with a spare fuel can on board and see how far you can go before it runs dry.

Btw, your 19 kpl is pretty good, I'm getting just over 15 kpl on my winter city commute. I don't think I've seen much better than 17 kpl out touring.
2006 Djebel 250XC
Old 01-09-2013, 04:50 AM   #15324
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicolasR View Post
Hi to all, and happy new year by the way!!!

I got back from a 3500 km trip on mi S10 trough Colombia. What a trip!!!
Last night I reviewed all the notes regarding fuel consumption and I averaged 77,2 Km per U.S gallon of fuel. Not bad at all. However, my doubt is the full range with a full-filled gas tank. I am asking because I always refueled the bike when the reserve indicator started blinking but it would only take 3,8 or 4 U.S gallons max. and that happened at the 320 kilometers-mark from full.
I checked and our S10 have a 6,08 U.S gal tank, which means that I could get around 450 km from a full tank.
Why the reserve comes at 320 around Km??
How long can you drive with the reserve??
According to my maths, the reserve is of about 2 U.S gallons. Is that correct??

The longest I have ridden my bike with the reserve on is for about 40 Km. I haven't tried to get more kms for not harming the fuel pump when going dry, but apparently I could get even more before that happens.

I see you are now talking about fuel quality. Well, I had to buy low octane fuel twice and it made the bike runs about 5 degrees hotter.

Thanks
Your reserve is what your reserve is. Mine comes on at about 380Km (indicated) which means I have about 60-70Km to go before I hit the limit, again depending on how I am riding at the time, but I tend to ride a lot more gently when I am into the reserve. I also get a theoretical 450km and average about 4.5L/100km on the slab at legal speeds.

Cheers
Graham

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:53 AM   #15325
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaumev View Post

I use 95 RON as well.
In Morocco I hadn't have any trouble with the GSA but you never know witch octane you have in these "petrol stations"
Australian outback petrol station. If you can't do 500Km you need to get fuel delivered at the appropriate place. There just aren't that many places out there, especially off the two or three main highways across the middle.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:38 AM   #15326
TH
There and Here

Oddometer: 912
Running out of gas on an S10. I managed to pull that trick about a week ago. I made it 240 miles or 386 km. I was on reserve for approximately 50 miles or about 80 km. I routinely get about 42 to 44 mpg. I figure, unless I'm really pushing it, to have at least 40 miles once I hit reserve. When I fill up, just after it hits reserve, I'm usually putting in about 4.5 US gallons.
NOVA Tag-o-Rama Map
TH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:48 AM   #15327
simmons1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,349
Quote:
Originally Posted by TH View Post
Running out of gas on an S10. I managed to pull that trick about a week ago. I made it 240 miles or 386 km. I was on reserve for approximately 50 miles or about 80 km. I routinely get about 42 to 44 mpg. I figure, unless I'm really pushing it, to have at least 40 miles once I hit reserve. When I fill up, just after it hits reserve, I'm usually putting in about 4.5 US gallons.
I am normally at 4.5 when the light starts blinking as well. I don't think you can put a full 6 gallons in the tank. The fuel pump takes up some volume and you can't top off the tank with out poking some holes in the filler neck.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:50 AM   #15328
WARRIORPRINCEJJ
Not in the clique...

Oddometer: 9,634
Quote:
Originally Posted by TH View Post

I did that, too, about a week ago. I don't know how far I pushed it (forgot to measure the distance, the last coupla' days). I'm guessing it was about a mile and a quarter. My eyes told me that the bike was rolling. But, my cardio-vascular system told me I was carrying the moth--fuc---.

However, to the big dude in the white Dodge truck...Thank You. I would've had a heart attack if you hadn't have helped me that last 1/4 mile. I didn't know it was possible to sweat so much, in 30* weather. Apparently, it is...

Now, can someone please tell me how to get that stupid, little piece of aluminum outta' my filler neck?!?!

"There's a WEALTH of cool people and knowledge on ADV, there's also a decent sized pocket of douche bag assholes that think their ADV forum Post Count (Oddometer) is their badge at being experienced riders." goodcat8
WARRIORPRINCEJJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:54 AM   #15329
simmons1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,349
Quote:
Originally Posted by WARRIORPRINCEJJ View Post

Now, can someone please tell me how to get that stupid, little piece of aluminum outta' my filler neck?!?!

You carefully poke a couple holes in it with a punch so it vents. Then don't fill it to the top and not ride it. That extra unusable space is for fuel expansion when it the fuel gets warm.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:01 AM   #15330
WARRIORPRINCEJJ
Not in the clique...

Oddometer: 9,634
Quote:
Originally Posted by simmons1 View Post
You carefully poke a couple holes in it with a punch so it vents. Then don't fill it to the top and not ride it. That extra unusable space is for fuel expansion when it the fuel gets warm.

I kinda' have some apprehension about poking holes in it. I'd rather remove it. I just don't know if it's possible (haven't looked at it closely).

-Is there any secret to the ST...hate to do this...like the KLR...where you can lean the bike one way or the other, to get the last coupla' ounces?

-And, is there any secret to filling beyond that stupid little tank-neck thing, without getting fuel all over your tank and seat?

"There's a WEALTH of cool people and knowledge on ADV, there's also a decent sized pocket of douche bag assholes that think their ADV forum Post Count (Oddometer) is their badge at being experienced riders." goodcat8
WARRIORPRINCEJJ is online now   Reply With Quote