ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-06-2012, 11:22 AM   #1
RedHawk47 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 405
Zumo 660 track recording issues

Having problems with the tracks on my Zumo 660. (I did not have this problem with my Zumo 450.)
Last week I did a ride of 250 miles. Two days later a ride of 200 miles. Between the two I removed the Zumo from my bike.
After I got home I connected the Zumo to my computer to download the tracks. The only tracks on the Zumo were from the last day.The earlier day's track was not there, nor previous rides.
Question 1: What happened to the tracks? What do I need to do or not do? I had reset the trip computer; did that erase the tracks? There's no mention of that in the manual. Do I need to save the tracks? How often? (page 29 in manual)
Question 2: The track that was stiil on the GPS had 4590 points for the 206 miles in 6:48 hours! That is more that 11 points per minute! I have mode set to motorcycle. Is there a way to adjust the recording frequency? I know my E-Trex had a way to do that.
I have 2Mb memory in the slot. I just confirmed that, but I'm not sure that the card was completely seated in the slot. Could that have caused a problem?
Thx
09 BMW F800GS
99 KLR 650 A13
RedHawk47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 11:39 AM   #2
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHawk47 View Post
Having problems with the tracks on my Zumo 660. (I did not have this problem with my Zumo 450.)
Last week I did a ride of 250 miles. Two days later a ride of 200 miles. Between the two I removed the Zumo from my bike.
After I got home I connected the Zumo to my computer to download the tracks. The only tracks on the Zumo were from the last day.The earlier day's track was not there, nor previous rides.
Question 1: What happened to the tracks? What do I need to do or not do? I had reset the trip computer; did that erase the tracks? There's no mention of that in the manual. Do I need to save the tracks? How often? (page 29 in manual)
Question 2: The track that was stiil on the GPS had 4590 points for the 206 miles in 6:48 hours! That is more that 11 points per minute! I have mode set to motorcycle. Is there a way to adjust the recording frequency? I know my E-Trex had a way to do that.
I have 2Mb memory in the slot. I just confirmed that, but I'm not sure that the card was completely seated in the slot. Could that have caused a problem?
Thx
Are you saying that the zumo did not Archive your first days Tracks? You did check the Archive Folder? What application did you use to retrieve your Track from the zumo? You can adjust the frequency of track points in the Trip Log settings. I believe it is under Navigation(?).

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 12:19 PM   #3
RedHawk47 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
Are you saying that the zumo did not Archive your first days Tracks? You did check the Archive Folder? What application did you use to retrieve your Track from the zumo? You can adjust the frequency of track points in the Trip Log settings. I believe it is under Navigation(?).

Cheers,
Dan, Thanks for the quick response. I have read your articles on GlobeRider.
The Zumo did not Archive the tracks on its own. I did not tell it to Archive the tracks. I just now tried to Archive the track following the prompts in the manual: I did not find Edit and Archive Log. I did find Save As Route.
Where is the Archive Folder? I looked with Windows Explorer and did not find it.
I retrieved the track with MapSource. I have BaseCamp but could not figure out how to download it with BC. BTW, I struggled with MapSource and can use it somewhat now. BaseCamp has me baffled, particularly its file storage structure.
I could not find any Trip Log Settings, on the GPS nor mentioned in the manual.
THX
09 BMW F800GS
99 KLR 650 A13
Old 10-06-2012, 12:34 PM   #4
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,191
Quote:
Dan, Thanks for the quick response. I have read your articles on GlobeRider.
The Zumo did not Archive the tracks on its own. I did not tell it to Archive the tracks. I just now tried to Archive the track following the prompts in the manual: I did not find Edit and Archive Log. I did find Save As Route.
Where is the Archive Folder? I looked with Windows Explorer and did not find it.
I retrieved the track with MapSource. I have BaseCamp but could not figure out how to download it with BC. BTW, I struggled with MapSource and can use it somewhat now. BaseCamp has me baffled, particularly its file storage structure.
I could not find any Trip Log Settings, on the GPS nor mentioned in the manual.
THX
It's been quite some time since I had a zumo 66x unit so my recall of the exact location for the Setup menus is a bit cloudy to say the least.

On the zumo look in Tools->Map as well. It's there somewhere. Anyway, there will not be an Archive folder on the unit until the unit writes an archived file. If you did not have the Trip Log set to record then there will of course not be an Archive.

You will be better off figuring out BaseCamp when it comes to the zumo. Remember, BaseCamp is a database and not a document or file editor like MapSource. All of your GPS data is IMPORTED into the BaseCamp database and kept/managed there - unlike MapSource which is analogous to MSWord.

The BaseCamp video tutorials found under "Help" are a very good starting point.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:55 PM   #5
RedHawk47 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
It's been quite some time since I had a zumo 66x unit so my recall of the exact location for the Setup menus is a bit cloudy to say the least.

On the zumo look in Tools->Map as well. It's there somewhere. Anyway, there will not be an Archive folder on the unit until the unit writes an archived file. If you did not have the Trip Log set to record then there will of course not be an Archive.

You will be better off figuring out BaseCamp when it comes to the zumo. Remember, BaseCamp is a database and not a document or file editor like MapSource. All of your GPS data is IMPORTED into the BaseCamp database and kept/managed there - unlike MapSource which is analogous to MSWord.

The BaseCamp video tutorials found under "Help" are a very good starting point.

Cheers,
I found the Archive folder; it is in the GPX folder. I had only looked as far as the Garmin folder.
All of my tracks were there.
I also learned from Garmin that the point frequency is not adjustable on the Zumo 660 - probably true for all Zumos.
Thanks for your help.
09 BMW F800GS
99 KLR 650 A13
Old 01-09-2013, 06:03 AM   #6
blakrj
Need to ride

Oddometer: 187
Quote:
I found the Archive folder; it is in the GPX folder. I had only looked as far as the Garmin folder.
All of my tracks were there.
I also learned from Garmin that the point frequency is not adjustable on the Zumo 660 - probably true for all Zumos.
Thanks for your help.
FYI, there is a hidden option to change this setting, but it is not persistent. Take a look at the Wiki site here for the details
www.airborneriders.com
blakrj is offline   Reply With Quote