User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-24-2012, 02:24 PM   #1
donniemac OP
http

Oddometer: 21
Santa Barbara to South America

TRAIL BEATEN GRINGO LOOKING FOR SANTA CLAUS AT LA PLAYA!

Several weeks ago, my Spanish speaking friends, Elina, 27(Russian/German) & Jonas, 23(Switzerland) had made plans to meet for Christmas somewhere on the coast of Nicaragua. In the last few weeks, we zeroed in on a Hostel/camp place called, Matilda's at La Playa de Maderas...just north of San Juan de Sol.

After my Angel Buds blessed me with a new/used tire I pulled out of the busy city of Managua and headed straight to a town called Granada, on a large lake. As I entered town, I headed to the old square.

Now if you don't have the fancy GPS systems or a great guide book...if all you have is a AAA map of Mexico/Central America, which is outstanding to use if you want to determine that Central America is just below Mexico...then one goes to the old town square, park, turn off your engine and wait! Now this only works if you are on a motorcycle that is full of road dust, piled high with gear and look like a trail beaten Gringo. Now this is a bit like fishing. If you do this and are patient, you eventually will draw the other Gringos who just arrived in town before you.

Sure enough, 15 minutes after my setup, one Gringo, then a minute later, two more. The first guys name was Willam, from Chicago (originally Dutch, the Chicago, now Thailand. The next two, Sam & Carrie were from Michigan. Willam was on a typical Suzuki V-Strom, piled high with all the gadgets. But Sam & Carrie were on a 2006 Triumph Scrambler 900 with aluminum side and back boxed he had welded up himself. But the cool factor and final touch were their retro 70's helmets! I couldn't help but think of that movie, "Dumb and Dumber"...no reflection on them, but their gear was perfectly cool and refreshing! Sam & Carrie guided me to their hostel and we all met up at Willam's estate hotel for refreshments by the pool.

Now let me pause here for a minute and make a disclaimer. Sam & Carrie are on their honeymoon. Can you imagine the stories their grand children will have about them?

I don't know what it is about this trip or motorcycles or both, but you've heard the term..."drove them to drinking"...right? Well I have yet to meet one motorcycle driver who doesn't smoke. And the crazy thing is, they had usually smoked before and had quit, but started back up on this trip. It must be a smoother for the nerves. The driving down hear is enough to drive one to drinking and I guess smoking. It makes me wonder how it will effect me? I have this feeling it is going to make me a stellar riding lawn mower driver or just think about how good I'll be on a golf cart!

After refreshments, then dinner at an outdoor Irish Pub, that a street scammer walked us to for traditional Nicaraguan food? I swear these street guys wear you down until you buy into their little scam. This little scammer hung nearby for all of dinner and then for dessert he offered Willam and me some...shall we say...prostitutes! Ahhh, we passed! I would rather sleep with my motorcycle, than have the little street scammer picking out my next date.

Come to think of it, I haven't had a date since Jessica, one year ago! I'm either really picky or getting really in attractive or maybe a bit of both!

Anyway and moving on... We met up the next morning and all rode to San Juan del Sol. After lunch I went back to my bike and guess who I ran into...my friends, Jonas & Elana. We are having staying and having
Christmas at this beautiful little hostel...right on this cozy beach!

Once here, a guy named John pulls up on a 250cc Kawasaki dirt bike. Now for you non motorcyclists, this is not a big bike and John had ridden it from Nebraska! Now this is not from inexperience. No this is from A LOT OF EXPERIENCE! And he hardly had any gear! I'm mean the guy look like he was out for a Sunday dirt bike ride. I'm mean this guys doesn't even sport a windshield. He made me feel like the fatted calf. He made me feel like the yuppy with ALL THE GEAR! He made me feel like I needed to go on a gear and bike diet! What a great guy Dave is! Oh...and he smokes...shocker!

Jonas, Carrie and I walked down the beach for pizza. what a great and soothing dinner. On our way back we ran across a beautiful camp fire and two people sleeping in front of the red ambers...how romantic is their Christmas!

My plan is to be here through Christmas and then shove off for Costa Rica probably on the 26th or 27th. Then Panama and then try and see about a boat to take me around the snake and swamp invested jungles of The Darien Gap, to Columbia...the part my classmate, Keith Jackson hiked through in 1974!

donniemac screwed with this post 12-24-2012 at 04:36 PM
donniemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 04:20 PM   #2
donniemac OP
http

Dec. '12

FIVE ANGELS IN NICARAGUA

So today’s mission was to find a rear tire. I got off at about 10:15 this morning and headed for Managua. Nicaragua’s capital and largest city. On my way (about a two hour ride) I passed through a small town and out of the corner of my eye, I saw five BMW’s parked at this little lunch place. I couldn’t believe my eyes! These were local bikes, because they were super clean and no luggage. I did a u-turn and headed back to the bikes. When I got there, I backed in, just like I was a part of the pack. As I was trying to figure out where the owners were, a bunch of Nicaraguan guys walked out with BMW leathers on. It just looked so foreign to me to see Nicaraguan’s with these high-end leathers on and beautiful BMW’s…not a sight you see down here. The first guy my eyes set on had a big, warm smile.. He introduced himself as, Eyvind and his beautiful Latin girlfriend. They were all super warm and welcoming and wanted to know all about my trip. When I explained to them, I had stopped because I needed a rear tire and wanted to know their source, they told me they ordered everything from the U.S. and had to wait 3 weeks. But one of them said he had a set of spares and could help me out.
It didn’t take me long to confirm what I thought, was actually true. This was just short of a miracle, because there simply are no spare BMW size tires in this country. And this guy was offering me his spare knobby tires. And not only that, but actually had a facility to put them on. They then offered to have me join them on their Saturday ride and then take care of me. But a bit later, they said they were going to cancel the remainder of their ride, because they wanted to take care of me and didn’t want me riding on my tire the way it was. So I followed them for about 30 miles back into town…right to their beautiful garage. They then went and got the semi used tires and brought back and they installed my tire. Riding with these guys was like riding with ROCK STARS! People really love watching them and loved their bikes. As it turned out the guy (and I am sorry I don’t recall his name) who offered my the tires, actually owned all of the BMW bikes and would let his buddies ride them.
I am so blest! If I had not run into these guys, I would not have found a tire to fit my bike, in all of Nicaragua. I feel like this entire trip I have been handed off from one angel to another angel! It is unreal how this kind of thing has happened over and over again! THANK YOU EYVIND MONDRAGON AND YOUR FOUR ANGELS!!!
I then rode into Granada, Nicaragua, which is a beautiful town on a big lake. And again after standing by my bike on the square met a very nice American couple (Sam and Carry) from Michigan, who rode down here on their honeymoon, on a Triumph 650 Scambler…very retro and cool! And also a nice man, Willam from Holland on his V-Strom. They set me up at a very nice hostel and we then all went to dinner. Tomorrow we are all going to ride to the Nicaragua coast to San Juan del Sol. Good night and thank you for an incredible day!!!

Old 12-24-2012, 04:38 PM   #3
kellymac530
motorcycle addict

Oddometer: 1,052
Nice stuff Donnie. Thanks for sharing.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:23 AM   #4
donniemac OP
http

Thanks Kellymac! I appreciate your gratitude!
Old 12-30-2012, 09:31 AM   #5
donniemac OP
http

KICKSTARTER APPLICATION ESSAY OR NOT?

I was advised by a friend to apply for kickstarter money to finish my adventure trip. So the following is what I have been putting together for my application. Many of you have already read some or all of this, but this is what I compiled…
This story is all tied in with a motorcycle trip from North America to South America…redefining the definition of what success REALLY is all about.
The end result of my project will be three things:
1) a successfully completed motorcycle trip from Santa Barbara, Ca to South America
2) a coffee table book of my adventures for your coffee table
3) Donnie MacKenzie defines a new career and passion and hopefully an inspiration to others
Just the trip alone…traveling through 3rd world countries, with dangers of running across drug cartel is enough to put the damper on this adventure trip for 98% of the American population. Then you have the conditions of poor unimproved roads, language barriers, cultural differences and a whole slue of other problems that pop up on ones daily routine. And then there are the mental and emotional dealings with everything one heard from the American population of…how dangerous this trip will be, to my dear 86 year old Mother, thinking I am committing suicide, to all of the media listeners who love drama. It weighs on you and it ends up being in the back of your mind. From passing a car in Mexico and wondering if this man’s male ego is being offended in front of his woman…to have a Gringo on a BMW passing him up? This is the kind of non-sense or is it good sense that goes through my head.
And then there are the mechanical issues and if there are problems…where and who are going to deal with them? I have had my share to date, but each time I have been blessed with solutions to very major problems. At one point having to drive 250 miles for two days…stuck in 5th gear. Or driving for 700 mile with no back brake…just a front brake. And then there was the rear drive bearings totally blowing out…right in front of a Dutchman tile layer, who just so happened to be an expert on BMW motorcycle repair and got me back on the road in just two days, after having the entire bike ripped apart. It’s actual events like this that gives me faith in God and humanity.
The following two exert out of my daily blog are examples of why I am doing this trip. I pulled these two out to give you an example of some of the mental stuff I do deal with and how I deal with it.
“I AM ROCKED!
I just had coffee with a friend’s cousin yesterday, Paul Stauder, in Guatemala City. Paul has lived in Guatemala since the early 60’s. His Dad was Swiss and his Mom, Guatemalan. He owns some coffee plantations. My friend, Paul Sr. was delivering payroll and Christmas gifts with his son, Paul Jr. to one of the coffee plantations in December of 2008, via helicopter that Paul Senior (the gentleman I met with yesterday) was piloting. They were ambushed by a group of criminals who were hidden in the coffee plantation. In the attack, Paul Jr. was very badly wounded by gun shots. Paul Sr was able to fly out of the attack and straight to the hospital. Sadly on the way to get medical help, Paul Jr died! Paul Sr. lost his son right in front of him! Paul Jr. was only 33 years old and his wife was expecting twins.
Paul did not tell me this story. This was article below was found on Google today. Again, you can see a bit of my situation. I have been warned several times! I now feel like…am I “throwing my pearls before swine”? Being on a big BMW motorcycle. Many people have written or mentioned spraying it flat black and covering up the BMW symbol. That is not going to do a thing. These people are not stupid! They know a BMW and if nothing more, they notice its massive size.
I have to admit! After meeting with Paul and now reading the below article I am ROCKED! I am totally comfortable with being in this charming mountain town of Antigua and focusing on Spanish and committed to this portion of this trip! But the question now is, do I sell my bike here in Antigua and fly to Costa Rica and South America and take it all in that way???
These people are dirt poor and coupled with a bad economy (not seeing a bright future) it makes people crazy and desperate! You can see where mentally and emotionally, this is a tough trip. I deal with this stuff…everyday! I don’t bring this up to be wishy washy. I bring it up just to let you know the kind of issues I deal with on a day to day bases. However, that being said, I do not make decisions based on fear, but need to be prudent and wise.
I have a lot to ponder and pray about…”
A few day later I wrote Paul my concerns and he wrote back and said, “Donnie, don’t give up! I haven’t giving up! Keep pushing forward and see this through to completion.”
And the other story…

WE LOVE AND HONOR YOU KIETH JACKSON…where ever you may be on this journey of LIFE!
I already posted this story a few days ago, but not as a stand alone post and I had a few detail wrong. But more so, this story so deserves every bit of attention. I am so humbled and honored to have known my classmate Kieth Jackson. Read this most amazing and incredible story of an 18 year old doing a man’s job! Kieth was truly a pioneer of our lifetime. I also wanted to add that another fellow classmate, Keith Klehm began the trip in Alaska with Keith, but departed in southern California to go back to school.
I was just reading some articles about the few people who have crossed the Darien Gap via foot, vehicle and bicycle. I actually went to Principia Upper School with a classmate who accomplished the crossing via bicycle. His name was Kieth Jackson. Kieth did that bicycle trip a year after he graduated from Upper School…from Alaska to Argentina. He actually had to pay a series of men to guide him through the jungle with his bike on his back. At a few different points, he had to give one of his guides his watch just to not leave him in the jungle during the night. He made it! The journey took Kieth one year and was 18,000 miles! A few years later he was unfortunately and sadly killed when hit by a car, on his motorcycle back in his hometown. Kieth Jackson was something else! He lived his dream!
His adventure has been captured by his Mother on the following blog site: http://extras.journalnow.com/flash/2...thjackson.html
The more I think about Kieth’s journey, the more it TOTALLY BLOWS ME AWAY! Here is an 18 year old in 1974 who rides his bike 18,000 miles from Alaska to Argentina; through third world countries and the jungles (by foot, with his bike on his back) of The Darien Gap and the jungles of Columbia. All of this with out any of the technology advances we have today! No GPS; no internet, no cell phones…just letter writing! I swear, this story makes me feel like I am doing a kindergarten project. I can only begin to understand the struggles and frights Kieth must have endured. And to think of the fortitude this 18 year old had to pursue and complete this enormous feat! My hat…helmet is off to Kieth! I want to dedicate the rest of my trip to Kieth Jackson.
The summer of 1972, before I arrived at the boarding school where Kieth and I met, I had just completed a coast to coast bicycle trip across the U.S. I clearly remember him asking me questions about my ride, but I never remember him mentioning this HUGE adventure he must have been planning. Kieth was a very gentle and inner perspective individual. You can hear that in his writings. What a gem some of us were honored to know! Thank you to Diann Lovegren for tracking down that blog site I inserted above.. Diann and Dave Lovegren were also classmates of Kieth’s. We love you and honor you Kieth Jackson…where ever you may be on your journey of LIFE!”
This book is sold by Amazon.com

So in some ways I feel as though I am riding in honor of Paul’s son and my friend Kieth Jackson.
I am so convinced, when an idea is a right, it is fueled with whatever it takes to see it through to the end. My Mom told me this when I was a freshman in college and during football camp, became sick and withered away from 185lbs to 110lbs. After an amazing recovery, my Mom told me that no thing could stand in my way and that I had everything I needed to see my way to victory…and my Mom was so right, as I continue to discover!

I don't think I will do the kickstarter, but just do the paypal donate button.

Thank you all!
Old 12-30-2012, 10:32 AM   #6
Scubalong
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 563
Have a stripafe

Donnie
Thanks for sharing, quite a story. Very sad about Paul Jr. Soory to hear about the lost of your friend Keith What an amazing trip that he did.......
Be safe and enjoy your journey wising you the best on New Year
Will be following along for the ride.
Scubalong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 11:57 AM   #7
QCRider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by donniemac View Post
Dec. '12

FIVE ANGELS IN NICARAGUA

<...> Riding with these guys was like riding with ROCK STARS! People really love watching them and loved their bikes. <...>

Hi Donnie,

I just found your RR. Sounds like you might be in CR now based on your blog, or perhaps already in Panama. Thanks for sharing those stories about Paul Sr./Jr. and your friend Keith. Despite the tragic ending, they are very inspiring and humbling.

Regarging you post above - I know what you mean. not too long ago, a group of us from the BMW CR Club rode to Granada for a getaway weekend. We rolled in town late afternoon with 12 bikes in the convoy. Not very common there from what I gather. Quite a strange feeling to have everyone staring.

Anyway, if you are still in CR and need anything, don't hesitate to send me a PM. Ride safe!
QCRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 07:49 PM   #8
donniemac OP
http

Hi QC Rider!

Thank you for your response! No, I actually am still in Maderas, Nicaragua. I am planning on heading to CR on the second. It would be great to meet you!

Best...Donnie
donniemackenzie@gmail.com
Old 01-01-2013, 10:21 AM   #9
donniemac OP
http

Happy new year 2013 from nicaragua!

Weather I move on through to South America or throw in the towel in Central America, it has been an incredible trip! The people, the land, the cultures, the weather has been eye opening, enriching and hard and tough! It has been full of surprises and more known(s) and unknowns.

When it all comes down to it…people are all just people…wanting to feel needed and needed to feel loved! We have a need to have shelter and needing to feel loved, wanted cared for.

I have loved this adventure trip and I have loved having you all along to support me and cheer me on! Thank you for all of your cheerleading! I will keep you posted as to what my decision ends up being!
Old 01-02-2013, 07:02 PM   #10
donniemac OP
http

Goodbye nicaragua...good day costa rica!

Saying goodbye to Abram and his team was hard...kind of sad! Great guys...all of them! I got very close to them! But that's all a part of this trip...having to say goodbye and moving on...ugh!

This morning when crossing the Nicaragua/Costa Rica border, I met up with Hoa & Suma. It makes border crossings so much more pleasant, because Suma is able to stay with the bikes, while Hoa and I do all of the running around done. There is a lot to these crossing between getting ourselves in, there are the bikes too. Today went well...about a 2 1/2 - 3 hour ordeal. During the crossing Hoa and I met this gentleman who was selling pens that were covered in a knit. I bought two from him. His story was touching. In the late 80's his village was bombed...poof...gone! He lost two uncles and has no idea where hi parents are. He was 15. He still has a burn mark on his cheek from when the bomb was dropped. He said he was in the jungle. He was very kind and spoke beautiful English! Can you imagine how disorienting that experience would be? I can't even begin to.

Also during the crossing, my eyes caught a unusual motorcycle setup. It was a Yamaha with a sidecar. But because this couple were from Australia, the sidecar was on the left side, which means when passing, his wife is coming out into the on coming lane first...yikes! They had gone all across America, them Mexico and on down. People are amazing what they do!

I have moments on this trip that I call "Reality Checks". Today's reality check was...I CANNOT believe I rode my motorcycle all the way to Costa Rica!!! Those moments actually crack me up, because its not as if I just flew in. I mean it's been a two month ordeal and you'd think I wouldn't have ahha moments at this stage of the game.

Crossing over from Nicaragua to CR, I have really noticed some big differences. First of all, the littering or lack of! I feel like I am in America. The vehicles are nicer, the architect is more sophisticated. Yards are neater. The landscape really varies, but in some areas it's like Hollister, CA. and in other areas it is more jungle like. It is definitely more developed. You know I don't mind more developed as long as it is well done. Some areas remind me of a cross between Carmel and Santa Cruz.

Tonight I am staying by the ocean. The sound of the waves at night is addicting. I'm falling asleep at the dinner table, I need to get horizontal soon! Good night!
Old 01-03-2013, 06:28 AM   #11
QCRider
Adventurer

Bienvenidos!

Welcome to Costa Rica Donnie! Glad you decided to continue your trip. Not sure what your itinerary and timeline are, but my buddy and I are planning to go for a Saturday morning ride, and we were thinking about the Nicoya peninsula perhaps, to check out this place near Playa Coyote, http://www.tripadvisor.ca/Restaurant...uanacaste.html, which is apparently owned by French Canadians (Quebecois). Send me a PM with details if you're up for that.

Pura Vida!
Old 01-05-2013, 05:43 AM   #12
donniemac OP
http

PLANS ARE FOR BUILDINGS...NOT CREATIVITY!

Life is funny! Life is like an old country road...lots of twists and turns, potholes here and there, never know what's around the next turn, beautiful vistas, dusty, creeks to cross, great sun rises and sun sets!

My plan was to blow through Costa Rica (CR)...right? Too expensive, too Americanized, too predictable! I thought I had it all figured out. Well I was right on a few of those points. It is too expensive and it is quite Americanized. But being Americanized also brought...no littering! It brought a clean water system. It brought International food, yoga, clean beaches. My feeling is, I am willing to pay extra to have an esthetically cool atmosphere. Now I'm not talking high rises and expensive cars. I'm not talking Aspen or Malibu. What I'm seeing here is what I believe Cali to have been like back in the 1930's, before all of the slick stuff came along and gangs and high rises and regulations and all the emphases on material stuff.

I have zero idea what the rest of CR is really like, but here in Nosara, most of the families drop what they're doing at around 5:30pm to walk to the beach to watch the sunset. Last night one family I have met, invited me to stay and roast hot dogs & marshmallows on a beach fire they made. That's what a Friday night is like around here...very family oriented!

My plans are evolving. Since I have been here, I have met some great people and one has connected me to another and to another. Okay so I had mentioned I met that great guy, Ron de Gro. I then met a young couple who own a yoga clothing, design company, both wholesale and retail. Well Millie is from Peru and her sister's father in law owns large clothing manufacture companies in Lima, Peru. Peru is known for its real high quality cotton. There is also a manufacture that makes double stretching material out of recycled plastic bottles and bags, etc. Can you imagine that combo on my beach shorts, along with the inner tubes...killer! So I'm sure you can read between the lines. I have decided to pause here in CR and get my beach shorts, mini skirts & tees going here. These valuable contacts make it too fun not to do this. And from a marketing side...the story just doesn't get much better. Adventure motorcyclists ran low on funds, so he stopped half way in CR and starts donnie mac WEAR clothing company. I am following my gut, but I think that's what makes us entrepreneurs, what we are!

Okay so I say to myself, "what are you going to do about housing?" It is as expensive at high season as Santa Barbara and that's high!

Well there was an answer to that, as well. My Mom had always told me, growing up, that prayerful solutions don't just come partially answered. Millie (yoga couple) put me in touch with a lady who runs a resort, as a place for me to stay long term. I met with her late in the afternoon. You should see the views of the ocean from this place. It also has a swimming pool. It is basically a yoga retreat. As it has turned out, I will be staying there for $300 a month. This is a such an incredible deal! So I'm going to do a month to month rental. This will tie me over until I find that cottage on the hillside, over looking the ocean. Go to youtube and search Colbie Caillat, Bubbly and check out that beach house. There is stuff like that around here. i will take pictures today.

I'm then going to plan a trip to Lima, Peru and start working on prototypes. The creative juices are flowing! Oh and regarding the South American portion of my adventure trip, rest assured, that will happen!
Old 01-05-2013, 05:47 AM   #13
donniemac OP
http

Quote:
Originally Posted by QCRider View Post
Welcome to Costa Rica Donnie! Glad you decided to continue your trip. Not sure what your itinerary and timeline are, but my buddy and I are planning to go for a Saturday morning ride, and we were thinking about the Nicoya peninsula perhaps, to check out this place near Playa Coyote, http://www.tripadvisor.ca/Restaurant...uanacaste.html, which is apparently owned by French Canadians (Quebecois). Send me a PM with details if you're up for that.

Pura Vida!
Hi! I don't know if this will reach you in time, but I'd love to meet up. I am in the Nosara area. The best way to contact me is donniemackenzie@gmail.com. This advrider site, I find a bit cumbersome to navigate.

Best...Donnie
Old 01-09-2013, 05:34 AM   #14
QCRider
Adventurer

Hi Donnie,

Hope you're enjoying Nosara. Lots to see there. I sent you a PM to your gmail account. I'll let you know if I'm able to ride in your neck of the wood over the next few weeks.Or if you plan to take a ride near San Jose to check it out, don't hesitate to send me a PM.