Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2013, 11:22 PM   #691
dirtdreamer50
long time rider

Oddometer: 1,060
"I still don't see why they couldn't have kept it even simpler, and made it a SOHC with 2 valves per cylinder."

Just a guess here, but probably because of today's world wide emissions laws. A SOHC/2 valve engine of 1100ccs tuned for today's lean burn requirements couldn't produce enough HP to make the bike it is in, desirable to own. Honda hasn't built sohc engines in a loooong time, trough any of their divisions. To spend the money and time needed to redevelop a SOHC that met their needs would be cost prohibitive, considering it would be used in only one model of motorcycle.

Checking on cycle-ergos site, I found that the new 1100 has a tighter rider triangle for me than my XR does. Same HP, and similar tq specs. Same fuel tank size, and the XR shows better mpg numbers, I average 43mpg overall. I am hoping that the CB really rocks my riding world, but at this point don't see the improvements needed over my current XR to do so.
Old 01-08-2013, 11:23 PM   #692
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer: 19,591
"Dangerous" ABS.
RedRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:58 PM   #693
JerryH
Banned

Oddometer: 5,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocket View Post
"Dangerous" ABS.

It is now fairly well known that ABS is dangerous when you don't have much traction, the very situation it would seem to be the most beneficial in. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=852073

I found several Youtube videos of ABS bikes crashing when the wheel broke traction on wet or otherwise slippery surfaces. It may not allow the wheel to completely lock up, but it does come close enough to put you down if you have almost no traction at all. Many don't know this, and believe that in any situation, no matter what it is, ABS will prevent them from crashing. Even the front brake on my old '66 Triumph, which was almost impossible to lock up on the road, would send me sliding on a surface with very little traction.

Many people are willing to spend a fortune for ABS, because they somehow think it makes the bike crashproof. It doesn't, but even as long as it's been around, many still seem to think that way.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:18 AM   #694
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
I found several Youtube videos of ABS bikes crashing when the wheel broke traction on wet or otherwise slippery surfaces....Many people are willing to spend a fortune for ABS, because they somehow think it makes the bike crashproof...
I don't usually get involved in these ridiculous ABS arguments, but I can't let this one pass.

The argument that ABS is dangerous because it doesn't prevent all crashes is like arguing that helmets are dangerous because they don't prevent all head injuries. It's almost comically illogical.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:50 AM   #695
Dave in Wi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,979
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn View Post
I don't usually get involved in these ridiculous ABS arguments, but I can't let this one pass.

The argument that ABS is dangerous because it doesn't prevent all crashes is like arguing that helmets are dangerous because they don't prevent all head injuries. It's almost comically illogical.

- Mark
In that thread JerryH points to they are talking about dual sport bikes (big ones) and I agree ABS is not desirable off road. Not too many people will be off-roading the CB1100.

Just as an aside I saw one of the folks also deleted his fuel injection. Must love to clean carbs. I hope to never clean one again. :-)
1988 DT50
"Daddy, it's five o'clock sometime!"

Dave in Wi screwed with this post 01-09-2013 at 05:32 AM
Dave in Wi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:10 AM   #696
JerryH
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Wi View Post
In that thread JerryH points to they are talking about dual sport bikes (big ones) and I agree ABS is not desirable off road. Not too many people will be off-roading the CB1100.

Just as an aside I saw one of the folks also deleted his fuel injection. Must love to clean carbs. I hope to never clean one again. :-)

Not relevant to the CB1100, But I deleted the fuel injection, and all the electronics and emissions crap from my '93 Chevy truck. It had TBI injection. I ripped off all the electronics, including the ECU, removed the smog pump, and the catalytic converter, installed an aftermarket manifold and four barrel carb, and headers and a true dual exhaust. It was a little more involved than that, but not much. It now runs (and sounds) much better, and just makes me smile, knowing it is free of all that govt crap that it never needed in the first place. The simple fact that it now runs better than it did is absolute proof that none of that technology was necessary in the first place.

An 1100cc bike didn't used to be for a beginner, and you would think that anyone buying one would have some idea how to ride, but seeing as how many choose a GSXR1000 or a Hayabusa as their first bike kinda blows that idea away. Technology cannot compensate for stupid.

As far as the CB1100, It just might be a winner. Kawasaki tried to sell the W650 for $6500 13 years ago, and wondered why it didn't sell. An 1100cc bike that looks good for $9999 today seems like a much better deal. It is within my price range (but just barely) and my main bike, an 11 year old Vulcan 750 is about worn out. Ergonomics will determine whether I give the non ABS version of the CB1100 consideration or not. If it feels like a second gen EX500, I would not be able to ride it no matter how good it looks. That is what turned me off to the ZRX1200, a bike I otherwise loved. A chance to have the Eddie Lawson Replica I coveted so much 30 years ago, but can no longer ride.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:08 AM   #697
DesmoTull
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Nobody took pictures at the DC bike show?
DesmoTull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:14 AM   #698
Ginger Beard
I have no soul

Oddometer: 6,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn View Post

- Mark

Is it possible that in this case one has something to with the other ?

3 weeks solo: Overland Expo East ,Barber Vintage Fest and beyond
Ginger Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:35 AM   #699
DesmoTull
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Guys,

I'm sure there's other threads you can discuss your thoughts on ABS, ad nauseum...

DesmoTull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:38 AM   #700
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Oddometer: 2,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
That may work for some companies that have the name, heritage, and pedigree to pull it off, but Honda has none of those things.
LOL! Oh, Jerry, please stop! My stomach is hurting!

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/1858/M...Hall-Tour.aspx

http://www.obxmotorcycle.com/hondacyclehistory.html

http://www.motorcycle.com/manufactur...otorcycle.html

http://www.vf750fd.com/Joep_Kortekaa...e_history.html

I took pic's at the DC show, will get them up this week.

Eddy Alvarez screwed with this post 01-09-2013 at 07:56 AM
Eddy Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:32 AM   #701
Mobiker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,641
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtdreamer50 View Post
"I still don't see why they couldn't have kept it even simpler, and made it a SOHC with 2 valves per cylinder."

Just a guess here, but probably because of today's world wide emissions laws. A SOHC/2 valve engine of 1100ccs tuned for today's lean burn requirements couldn't produce enough HP to make the bike it is in, desirable to own. Honda hasn't built sohc engines in a loooong time, trough any of their divisions. To spend the money and time needed to redevelop a SOHC that met their needs would be cost prohibitive, considering it would be used in only one model of motorcycle.

Checking on cycle-ergos site, I found that the new 1100 has a tighter rider triangle for me than my XR does. Same HP, and similar tq specs. Same fuel tank size, and the XR shows better mpg numbers, I average 43mpg overall. I am hoping that the CB really rocks my riding world, but at this point don't see the improvements needed over my current XR to do so.
Au contraire. The brand new NC700x is a single overhead cam. I didn't bother to look, but I bet Honda builds quite a few sohc's across all its divisions.

FWIW, Honda lists the fuel tank capacity as 3.9 us gallons and Harley lists the XR as 3.5 us gallons. Not a big difference, but not the same either.
"If I was in a hurry, I'd left earlier."
Mobiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:42 PM   #702
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 10,214
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesmoTull View Post
Guys,

I'm sure there's other threads you can discuss your thoughts on ABS, ad nauseum...

yeah no kidding..... this is a thread about a bike, right...?

So who's bought one??

Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:54 PM   #703
Claytonroy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 287
Cam count vs.Valve count

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobiker View Post
Au contraire. The brand new NC700x is a single overhead cam. I didn't bother to look, but I bet Honda builds quite a few sohc's across all its divisions.
Yes, It's the NC700x is a SOHC motor but has 4 valves per cylinder (I assume they achieve this through a sub rocker arm assembly)

The older Honda CB SOHC inline fours from Honda were only 2 valves per cylinder. If I'm mistaken, someone else please chime in...

Claytonroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:52 PM   #704
JerryH
Banned

The SOHC Hondas were indeed 2 valves per cylinder. It was Yamaha that started the more valves thing, and wound up with their 5 valve "Genesis" engine, then went back to 4 valves. Most performance engines have 4 valves per cylinder, while a non performance engine makes do just fine with 2. I'm hoping the CB1100 is tuned more for low end torque than high rpm power, which comes on so high up the rev range it is pretty much unusable on the street. SOHC 2 valves per cylinder and 1100cc should put out plenty of power for a standard (non sport) bike. And you would think the FI should take care of any emissions issues.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:21 PM   #705
Jarvis
DC GSer

Oddometer: 10,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindofblue View Post
Hi Eddy,
Since you sat on it, how's the fit? Are you tall? Long inseam? I'm 6'4" w/34" inseam and have read at least one review that the bike might be too small for someone over 6' tall. Thanks.
I'm 6' and was very interested in this bike. I sat on it at the DC show, however, and found it too small.