Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2013, 04:25 PM   #1186
PBOB
MOTO NUT

Oddometer: 245
Pissed

[

i was reading this thread, and your set up was an awesome idea!
here's what i did several months ago....
took a couple peices of thin metal strips, punctured them, and bolted through with the existing screws on exhaust...
my bag stopped burning haha-----
1995 Honda XR650L (in Shasta white and Uranus violet of course)
The list is long, I'll stop there....
PBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:20 PM   #1187
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer: 2,548
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBOB View Post
[
i was reading this thread, and your set up was an awesome idea!
here's what i did several months ago....
took a couple peices of thin metal strips, punctured them, and bolted through with the existing screws on exhaust...
my bag stopped burning haha-----
Hi PBOB,

I like your minimalist Sherpa style. Good idea! Nice to see lo-buck creative thinking.

Best,
Juan Sherpa
Old 01-08-2013, 06:23 PM   #1188
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Hey John,
I've had pages added twice to my passport, easy both times, but that was years ago. Now it sounds more high tech and officious. I simply showed up at US Consulate/Embassy, they did it on the spot.

First time was in Quito, Ecuador, next time (in the 90's) in Addis Ababa. Took about a half hour each time ... but NO ONE was around trying to get other services. Experts tell me it's easier to get accordion pages abroad than in US. YMMV.
But since they've spent roughly a trillion USD post 9-11 on "security" and "anti-terror" programs ... I'm guessing they'll need to do an anal probe to verify your identity. Hope it goes well.

Smooth sailing on the crossing!
Hi Adv Grifter,

Nice to hear that it might be easier than I would have imagined. Hope there isn't any bending over and grabbing my ankles involved. You got me a little skeert now.

Cheers,
Juan Probeaphobe
Old 01-08-2013, 07:36 PM   #1189
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Pipe Stand offs

I started off with this stainless pipe hangar converted to stand off the plastic side panel. No more melted panels. Works a treat.
Side panel also supports pannier so really helps.

I retained the stainless hangar and added this home made Jerry rigged piece similar to above. It worked fine but bag placement was limited.

This is what I've had now for the last 3 years or so and it's proved perfect.
It allows pannier to be carried forward and low. It's a Happy Trails item scavenged off crashed DR650 ($10). The pannier load is taken on the seat from the cross over pannier straps, so Happy Trails rack takes very little load. I've retained the stainless pipe hanger just for luck. It's not needed with this set up.

This is her loaded up with the basics. I've got different panniers and top bag now ... same basic set up.

Adv Grifter screwed with this post 01-08-2013 at 07:43 PM
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:46 PM   #1190
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 4,956
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDowns View Post
Hi Adv Grifter,

Nice to hear that it might be easier than I would have imagined. Hope there isn't any bending over and grabbing my ankles involved. You got me a little skeert now.

Cheers,
Juan Probeaphobe
Dont worry too much about it. Just check the particular consulate's website as some of them have only specific times that you may make an appointment for the purpose of adding passport pages. This surprised me as well. Also, adding pages to your passport is no longer free. When I did it in Uruguay it was around 80 bucks IIRC. Total screw job, but the politicians spend more money than we can make these days. Suerte!

crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:09 PM   #1191
PDX Alamo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 250
Laugh Passport

Just to set your mind at ease I got pages added in my passport last year in Thailand at the Embassy which took maybe 30 minutes; in and out no problem. They are basically just attached with adhesive in the back. I do get odd looks at some borders when they can't figure out why the pages are just stuck in there. I would guess most US passports sadly don't run out of pages
PDX Alamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:48 AM   #1192
riderddonald
Lost rider

Oddometer: 572
Quote:
Hi

Crossing this bridge brought a feeling of jubilation not much different than when I crossed it almost three years ago on the Sherpa. I don't know what it is, but when you reach these milestones on a trip this long it makes you pause and think, WOW! I actually rode this little dirt bike over 11,000 miles all over the place from Nebraska through 5 states, Mexico, every country in Centroamerica except Belize and now across the Panama Canal again. HOLY COW!!!!! I think it would bring a smile to anyones face. You'll see when you

Buenos noches mi amigos,
Juanito
Was there any reason you didn't ride into Belize? When we were in CR I met a guy in our hotel lobby from Belize and he said the big cities are pretty dangerous but the outlying areas are ok. I have an employee heading there this spring for his honeymoon so I want him to bring back so info for me. Anyone from the area want to add their opinions on safety please feel free.
Old 01-09-2013, 06:23 AM   #1193
Dracula
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX Alamo View Post
Just to set your mind at ease I got pages added in my passport last year in Thailand at the Embassy which took maybe 30 minutes; in and out no problem. They are basically just attached with adhesive in the back. I do get odd looks at some borders when they can't figure out why the pages are just stuck in there. I would guess most US passports sadly don't run out of pages
I heard that airline pilots who travel so often do get a passport with much more pages from the start. Not sure how true this statement is or if such passport can be generally available for others or the cost.
Dracula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:50 AM   #1194
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by riderddonald View Post
Was there any reason you didn't ride into Belize? When we were in CR I met a guy in our hotel lobby from Belize and he said the big cities are pretty dangerous but the outlying areas are ok. I have an employee heading there this spring for his honeymoon so I want him to bring back so info for me. Anyone from the area want to add their opinions on safety please feel free.
Hi riderddonald,

The weather was crap in Belize so I rode over down through the Peten jungle of northern Guatemala. I'm sure rural Belize is nice and the pictures of the islands like Caye Caulker look very nice when it's not getting hammered with a tropical storm.

You can't see everything in one trip. I go where the weather and roads take me. It's usually best to go see a place for yourself and make up your own mind about it. I would have missed a lot of cool riding if I had listened to all the harsh talk about places.

Saludos,
Juanito
Old 01-09-2013, 06:55 AM   #1195
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

As PDX alamo and Crash said, it is cake getting more pages in your passport. I went this morning and was in at 8 and out at 9. They added 48 pages but only charged me for 24. Not sure what that was all about. The fee is $82.00. I'm ready for South America with a fat passport and a thin wallet. Should be fun.

I'm charging up all my batteries, picked up some garbage bags to throw my duffel and soft panniers in for the sea voyage. Crackers and water. I'm good to go.

So it's off to Carti to see about hitching a ride to Colombia. You might not hear much from me for a while.

With me, no news is good news.

Hasta Colombia,
Juan Panama
Old 01-09-2013, 08:04 AM   #1196
Throttlemeister
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,554
I'd email the Steelrat and ask for Aaron's mobile number to get ahold of him, he's kinda of the ship's agent if you will for San Blas and he was the one that helped me take a dug out down to Coco Bandero. Be a good contact that speaks English to help out finding a ride South. Shouldn't be a big problem just a lot of time.

Goodluck amigo.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:56 AM   #1197
DucHym09
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Great RR so far!

I'm also reading Ulysses's blog.These are addicting to read!
That's 72mpg
Quote:
Hi John,

Since leaving Nebraska I've ridden about 4400 miles. Now has around 25,300 miles on the odo. Had 20,900 when I left.

Gas seems to be fine around here in Mexico even the gas I bought out of a jug in the high desert yesterday. Lower quality fuel down here is pretty much a thing of the past I think. The gas stations are all state run Pemex and the price is pretty much the same all over the country. So no need to search for a good price.

As far as fuel economy it seems to be about the same I think. I remember the last gas stop today buying 5.2 liters of gas at 99 miles on the trip meter for 55 pesos. If anyone knows how many miles per gallon that is I would like to know too. I'm not good at math and when you are buying liters of gas for pesos it is hard to know exactly, especially if you are used to dollars and miles per gallon.

But the gas in Guatemala is another story. We'll see what happens to fuel economy when I get there. And I hear Bolivia isn't much better if I make it that far. I will report back what I find.

Best,
John Downs
DucHym09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:01 AM   #1198
GRinCR
Oppressed Nomad

Oddometer: 318
Never thought I'd say this...

I am looking forward to not hearing from you! At least for a few days.

Hope the next report does not include too much .
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
"My father taught me to work; he did not teach me to love it." -Abraham Lincoln
GRinCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:15 AM   #1199
Hawk62cj5
2 Cheap 4 a KLR

Oddometer: 573
Good luck with your Amphibious landing .
Hawk62cj5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:28 AM   #1200
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
It's usually best to go see a place for yourself and make up your own mind about it. I would have missed a lot of cool riding if I had listened to all the harsh talk about places.

Saludos,
Juanito
Amen!
In the 70's, on my way South in Mexico I met some Crackers from Alabama ... Fishermen if I recall. I mentioned Belize ... this porky boy proceeds to give me the skinny ".... Boy, you'd be better off walking through Harlem with a $100 bill pinned to your shirt." (turns out he'd never been to Harlem!)

He clearly didn't get it. I spent a week in and around Belize City. No problem at all. Sure, there are a few hustlers around and some seedy areas. I avoided those. Then spent 10 days on Caye Caulker. Fantastic diving when Seas are calm. Lots of Lobster trapping out there. I ate enough Lobster for five lifetimes.

Also good diving off Isla Mujeres and Tulum. Although in Belize I did spy a HUGE Manta Ray with a wing span of at least 25 ft. That and the Barracudas scared the crap out of me. (Manta's are harmless ... but I still don't trust Barracuda's ... especially human ones )
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote