User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2012, 07:12 AM   #1
rasmukri OP
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Euro Trip

So right now I am in Afghanistan and am planning a ride for after when I get back to Italy I'm thinking April. I am planning on 9 countries and 30 days. I have an iron butt and a soft seat so no big deal to me, and most of the days the distance is avg 300 miles. the countries I plan on visiting are: Italy,France, England, Belgium, Netherlands, Germany, Czech Republic, Slovakia, and Austria.

Just wondering if anybody had any travel tips and whatnot. I plan on camping most of the time with maybe a few hostels along the way. i have a similar hammock to the one here that attaches to the bike and a tarp that covers the bike and me for the whole tent effect w/o the tent problems. I don't really have any specific points of interest along the way but that is why i am posting here and searching the web for cool sights to see. Using the internet i have found a few cool things to see but more is always better.

So any advice and stopping points would be greatly appreciated thanks.

A picture of my planed route everybody loves visual aids.

rasmukri screwed with this post 12-31-2012 at 07:20 AM
rasmukri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:42 AM   #2
kenhuth
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Try not to miss Switzerland if at all possible.
kenhuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:54 AM   #3
Willwilkins
Dr. Topbox

Oddometer: 615
Careful......

You've missed the best bit - the Alps. Smash out a few days absolutely ring your bikes neck around the fantastic road legal race track of the alpine passes. Brilliant fun and great scenery!

Have fun!

My biggest ride yet. Oz to UK. Read all about it here
http://www.wollongongtowoolwich.co.uk

Willwilkins screwed with this post 12-31-2012 at 10:54 AM Reason: words
Willwilkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 09:07 PM   #4
rasmukri OP
n00b

I was thinking about going through the alps. but since i live in north Italy i can wait till later in the summer to get the alps in maybe on a long weekend or something, since they are right there.
Old 12-31-2012, 09:57 PM   #5
Aj Mick
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 487
I did several trips similar to what you hope to do, camping and hosteling around Central Europe and the British Isles in the '90s.

I was working seasonally in England, and usually had about a month off between finishing sheep shearing and starting ploughing. I would throw some camping gear on my Honda CB250RS rat bike (looked the workhorse it was, but I kept it well maintained) and head off. I didn't have any specific route planned, just a few objectives...... to kiss the Blarney Stone (in Ireland), to buy a Swiss Army Knife in Geneva, and the like.

I didn't focus on logging miles on my motorcycle; it was more about going places to see and do things. I did the odd day of 500 miles or more, using motorways to cover the distance to get to where I wanted to be. Most of the time I was on byways. Some days I might not even do 30 miles; others I did 130 or more. There were quite a few days when I rode none at all.

I got lost the odd time, or more a case of not knowing (or caring) just where I was.

I just followed the noise to a Tractor Pulling contest in the in the Netherlands.

I found a hydro-electric power plant in Switzerland with a head of 600 metres (or more.... I cannot remember exactly) they only generated electricity there in the winter; over summer they pumped water back up to refill the lake.

I camped in a field behind a pub high in the mountains in Switzerland and went to sleep to the sound of cow bells.

I rolled into town one wet and windy day in Ireland, and discovered there was a folk music festival on, so that was where I stayed for the weekend.

Unfortunately, all this was before the days of digital photography, and the few pictures I did take are stashed at least 11 flying hours from where I am now......!

So what advice would I give.....? Be flexible; don't plan too much and take time to enjoy what you come across along the way. Make your motorcycle the means, not the reason for the trip.
Old 01-01-2013, 02:26 AM   #6
MichaelJ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by rasmukri View Post
I was thinking about going through the alps. but since i live in north Italy i can wait till later in the summer to get the alps in maybe on a long weekend or something, since they are right there.
A long weekend? You, Sir, seriously underestimate just how much riding there is in the Alps! I'll be back in July for my 10th 3 week ride, and I'm STILL finding new places to go.

Your daily estimate of 300 miles is good if you're using Autostradas and similar. If you plan to mainly use "normal" roads, 250 - 300 Kilometers/day is more realistic - especially if you're doing any sightseeing photo stops along the way.

Based on your map, I'm making the assumption that you're (a) US Military and (b) stationed at Aviano. One thing to look for is on-base lodging if you're near a base. - MOST reasonable, but for whatever reason, the Army seems to charge almost twice what the Air Force does - at least the lodging at Camp Ederle did. Also US bases have laundromats - which are scarce as hell on the economy. I should be doing a load in Aviano in mid-July
Pictures, pictures and more pictures
MichaelJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:08 AM   #7
wheatwhacker
It's raining here

Oddometer: 2,865
For April, I would try and stay south
Old 01-09-2013, 07:12 AM   #8
LethPhaos
brb

Oddometer: 487
if you want to ride in belgium, the south is ok (depends on what you're used to), but the north is horrible :)
LethPhaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:50 AM   #9
rasmukri OP
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by LethPhaos View Post
if you want to ride in belgium, the south is ok (depends on what you're used to), but the north is horrible :)
Belgum is more of a passing through on the way to Amsterdam after i get off the ferry from the UK.

Also i have discovered this thing called couch surfing. its free and pretty cool, people just let you crash at their place for the night or two. a few of my friends have done it and say that usually you get good people there is only a few strange folks out there.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:22 AM   #10
Jim pedley
Adventurer

Oddometer: 96
Hi rasmukri I live 30 miles south of Manchester your more than welcome camp or sofa surf at my house can also take you riding around the peak district (buxton Derbyshire) etc !!
Jim pedley is offline   Reply With Quote