Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2013, 09:34 AM   #5191
El Cucuy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro View Post
Thanks, I think they confused it shows Caselli in the lead by over a hour
They're just getting the standings ready for 2014 and beyond...
El Cucuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:35 AM   #5192
Brodovitch
Team ⌘R

Oddometer: 3,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8340SU View Post
Despres is lonely

He does not say, but Cyril Despres almost regret Marc Coma is not on this Dakar. With his alter ego Spanish KTM, it was an intense fight but with a certain respect.

His face is stained fatigue and anger. Sitting on the edge of his camper in the camp of Arequipa, Cyril Despres did not start to feel old but a gap between the biker of 38 years and his young rival. Designated as favorite single Package Dakar 2013 after his teammate and rival Marc Coma, the French assume only the weight of the race and regrets that other drivers regularly leave him in charge of opening the road to better counter in the last kilometers. "I may be old school but before, when a pilot was opening the track, he was given the victory, he says. Here, when the green arrow is illuminated on the GPS and someone sees the arrival of doubling it cuts both ways limit. '

Elimination race
Despres is annoyed but there is obviously no solution to encourage the best of the pack to guide the flock. "Apart Chaleco who tried, nobody starts. Some do not feel confident enough in navigation. Every time it's the same scenario. They go to five or six and then they have waited for me to do the trace." Faced with the impossibility of creating gaps in the off road tracks, Despres hopes to make a difference in the more technical parts of the rally in Argentina. "I'm not worried, he assures. I feel good physically and now I'm managing. I do not run 100% of my ability." An excellent tactical for an elimination race. But they are still likely to be in the game ...
both points noted here

Seriously though, I thought Pain & Casteu opened & led brilliantly today, no?
Old 01-09-2013, 09:37 AM   #5193
PackMule
love what you do

Oddometer: 19,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flanny View Post
No - We've agreed to a one-way communication protocol; he just calls me when he has the time to provide an update.

Gotcha.

Gotta punch out for a bit to go pick up the boy at school. I'll hope you guys have found good news when I return.

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

They don't expect you to finish. That's why it's the Dakar. -- PPiA

Get your sweet Pyndon DakARTwork here

Pyndon '13
PackMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:37 AM   #5194
doyle OP
RallyRaidReview-ing

Oddometer: 22,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8340SU View Post
Despres is lonely

He does not say, but Cyril Despres almost regret Marc Coma is not on this Dakar. With his alter ego Spanish KTM, it was an intense fight but with a certain respect.

His face is stained fatigue and anger. Sitting on the edge of his camper in the camp of Arequipa, Cyril Despres did not start to feel old but a gap between the biker of 38 years and his young rival. Designated as favorite single Package Dakar 2013 after his teammate and rival Marc Coma, the French assume only the weight of the race and regrets that other drivers regularly leave him in charge of opening the road to better counter in the last kilometers. "I may be old school but before, when a pilot was opening the track, he was given the victory, he says. Here, when the green arrow is illuminated on the GPS and someone sees the arrival of doubling it cuts both ways limit. '

Elimination race
Despres is annoyed but there is obviously no solution to encourage the best of the pack to guide the flock. "Apart Chaleco who tried, nobody starts. Some do not feel confident enough in navigation. Every time it's the same scenario. They go to five or six and then they have waited for me to do the trace." Faced with the impossibility of creating gaps in the off road tracks, Despres hopes to make a difference in the more technical parts of the rally in Argentina. "I'm not worried, he assures. I feel good physically and now I'm managing. I do not run 100% of my ability." An excellent tactical for an elimination race. But they are still likely to be in the game ...
Despres needs to go talk to Peterhansel and sign up for the "How to Lead the Flock Astray 101" course. He constantly had riders hop on his back wheel, so he'd feign a little mistake, act confused, and then when the other riders struck out on their own, would swoop in for the stage win. Perhaps a little harder on the track roads of Chile, but it is what it is.

RallyRaidReview - @RallyRaidReview
doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:38 AM   #5195
PackMule
love what you do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodovitch View Post
both points noted here

Seriously though, I thought Pain & Casteu opened & led brilliantly today, no?

Barreda opened but early on. Pain and Casteu ran away from the front after that.

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

Pyndon '13
Old 01-09-2013, 09:39 AM   #5196
rpet
Awesometown

Oddometer: 809
Le Dakar on le F4 (France 4)
Read my homie's underway Africa trip RR - Round Africa with a Surboard
WTB: Clarke tank for DR650 for cheap - any color but blue.
rpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:39 AM   #5197
Brodovitch
Team ⌘R

Oddometer: 3,171
Solomoto update:

A third of the rally we already disputed and clearer list of drivers who will fight for the final victory of the Dakar Rally. It is not our Joan Barreda (Husqvarna), which today has had problems in the 72 kilometer stage, until the bike has had enough. It had started strong in the special and has even had an oversight that has led to a loss of about five minutes you spend Olivier Pain (Yamaha) and David Casteu (Yamaha). A few miles later started to notice and shake his Husqvarna has stopped. This has set off the alarm because today was most likely a stage to control his main rival Cyril Despres (KTM), who started from behind and sought to reduce the difference in Torreblanca. The problem has been a failure in the fuel pump of the bike of Castellon and this has led to Joan had to wait for their backpacking, Australian Matt Fish (Husqvarna), carrying a spare pump for the number one the German squad.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:39 AM   #5198
PackMule
love what you do

Could one of the mods update the cliff notes with today's action? Thanks!

Pyndon '13
Old 01-09-2013, 09:41 AM   #5199
XSpearsX
Dakar Widow

Oddometer: 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly99 View Post
Its Dakar, you can buy anything. I don't recall exactly what a press pass cost but its certainly available. Bivy access, access to press tent (aka internet) and access to ride along in aso trucks to designated viewing areas (if desired) as well as transportation between bivouacs. Like everything Dakar....$$$$$
I volunteer to do it
I have the transportation, camera etc. Just need the $s.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:43 AM   #5200
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,939
Riaan van Niekerk arriving leaving the ASS today.

Photo: Ryan Illingworth
Bluebull2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:44 AM   #5201
El Cucuy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
From Caselli:

Quote:
You hear so much about the Dakar, but you really have to come here and race to find out what itís all about. The riding is actually the easy part; itís the navigation and the roadbook that are going to be the tough things for me.
Todayís special stage was a perfect warm up to the race because it was really short and we started and finished in the same spot. There were a few tracks on the ground that I could follow so I could feel my way into the navigation.

This first stage was another big step along this learning curve that Iím on but I think that tomorrowís special stage of over 300km is when the race really starts. Iím a little bit overwhelmed right now with all the different things Iím trying to take in but Iím going to go there and do my best.

When I started out with KTM, my goal from the very beginning was to race the Dakar. Iíve been with KTM for twelve years now, so Iíve been working my towards this chance for a long time. Part of this preparation has been riding for the Factory Team at the Baja 1000 and last year we finished the race second after winning the first round. So the Baja was kind of like a stepping-stone for me to get ready for the longer rallies.

Then two weeks before this Dakar I get a phone call saying that Marc Coma isnít able to ride, which I was totally bummed about because heís a good friend. I know how tough it must be for him to miss out on a big race like this. So I was bummed for Marc but at the same time it also created the opportunity for me to come along and race the Dakar for the first time.

I immediately accepted the invitation of the KTM Factory Team and now, just a couple of weeks later, Iím here in the middle of the desert in Peru racing the Dakar. The whole team have been great with me, totally relaxed and just telling me to do my best to get over the finish line.

Iím completely unfamiliar with all the stuff that goes hand in hand with racing the Dakar so itís good to know that the pressure is off. Iíd never even seen a roadbook before I got here!

Iíve come with an open mind to learn from the rest of the team about what it takes to race the Dakar. So far itís been great and all I can do is take it day by day and keep learning. You really couldnít put a price on the teachers I have around me. Iíve got Marc Coma and Cyril Despres helping me out and that is something special.

Up until now the longest race Iíd done was six days and I remember halfway through that thinking Ďthis sucks and I want to go home.' Then when you get home after the race you miss it immediately Ė I think all of these feelings will be tripled with the Dakar Rally.
El Cucuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:46 AM   #5202
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,558
A few random photos from the last few days that caught my eye..

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:46 AM   #5203
doyle OP
RallyRaidReview-ing

Oddometer: 22,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by PackMule View Post
Could one of the mods update the cliff notes with today's action? Thanks!
Juggling meetings this afternoon but I'll jump in as soon as I can.

RallyRaidReview - @RallyRaidReview
doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:48 AM   #5204
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,082
I seem to recall this not being the first time Cyril has been bitching about opening the stage and having new guys ride his navigational coattails.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:48 AM   #5205
garfey
Scruffy Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,921
Time late, but
Pavey thru WP3 +00:44:33
Manuel thru WP2 +00:50:16
and
Luis thru WP2 +01:19:35
GO, GUYS, GO!!