Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2013, 12:20 PM   #5371
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,205
So tomorrow is the marathon day...wheres the dude with the tattered rule books...did they change the rules this year to not allow assistance staff from providing "care packages" and bike support in the liaison ? I hope so or, like last year, the marathon becomes more of a who interrupted the rules better and took advantage of said rules

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:21 PM   #5372
8340SU
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand View Post
Hello again, I just spoke with Paul Anders, who has had a very bad day.

He says he first got stuck in a pile of rocks up a mountain. And to free the bike at over 2000 meters above sea level, has required some effort by him. When he finally got loose and the bike came over the mountain, he went later to the ground after hitting a sandbank slightly awry. A bike that came behind him at full speed (a Honda is all I know) just managed to slam his rear wheel into the "tower" (the knob navigansjonsinstrumenter etc) the bike Pål Anders, so that all the instruments were smashed. Not only did these episodes time, the cost of effort and not least major damage to the bike.

Hopefully the team over there fixed the bike tonight and Pål Anders get some rest. In the morning, the running back at the 04 o'clock local time and then the participants will undergo a two-day marathon stage where you can not make use of the assistance from team cars. This means that if something goes wrong with the bike or equipment, one is out of this year's Dakar. Pål Anders seems, however, to this marathon leg as his opportunity to get back in top form. His experience and perseverance gives him probably also due to this. Remember it is "only" 36 minutes up to the set and a lot can happen in the next two days.

On behalf of Pål Anders
Håkon Bjercke, manager

(Translated by Google)
Thanks for the post, great info
8340SU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:22 PM   #5373
practicalshooter
Posteriophobiac

Oddometer: 153
EDIT: 205'ed. By Google. Grmf.

Update from PAU, who haven't had a real good day (not even anyone to "lay down")

This comes from his FB, and are from the team manager, Rune Bjerke,

"Just spoke to Pål Anders, who have had a really bad day.

First, he got the bike stuck in some large rocks going up a mountainside, and getting it loose at 2000 meters alt have taken a lot of energy. When he eventually got the bike out of there and got over the mountain he had an off after hitting a small dune in a bad way. A bike behind him coming at full speed (a Honda is all I know) managed to hit the nav-tower on Påls bike with his rear wheel, smashing all the instruments. Not only did these episodes take time, they also took a lot of energy not to mention quite a lot of damage to the bike.

Hopefully the team will manage to fix the bike tonight, and Pål Anders get some rest. Tomorrow it's off again at 0400AM, going into a two day marathon with no assistance from the team. That means if anything goes wrong with bike or equipment, you're out of this years Dakar. Pål Anders hovewer looks at the marathon as his best hope to regain the lost time to the top. Hi have a lot of experience and stamina, that he hope to use to his advantage. Remember its only 36 minutes to the leader and a lot can still happen."
Old 01-09-2013, 12:25 PM   #5374
XSpearsX
Dakar Widow

Oddometer: 488
Freedom Rally

GREAT day for Freedom Rally. All 3 riders made it in. All 3 riders moved up in the standings! Wish everyday could finish like this!

http://www.facebook.com/FreedomRallyRacing
Old 01-09-2013, 12:25 PM   #5375
ric678
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 866
I know CDP says he not pushing 100% right now and I think that's a good thing to try and pace yourself in this long of a race, But have we heard much from the other camps on how hard there riders really are pushing? CDP obviously thinks they are flying, Could be his older age than the youngsters just makes him think they are running hard?? Don't know for sure...Just my ramblings from the sidelines
ric678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:27 PM   #5376
ric678
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 866
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly99 View Post
So tomorrow is the marathon day...wheres the dude with the tattered rule books...did they change the rules this year to not allow assistance staff from providing "care packages" and bike support in the liaison ? I hope so or, like last year, the marathon becomes more of a who interrupted the rules better and took advantage of said rules

b) On the route of a Road Section
By the Driver of a car, a bike or a truck officially entered in and still in the race. By vehicles in the assistance category, when the assistance vehicles have the same itinerary to that of the race. Refuelling with petrol or diesel out of an assistance vehicle is prohibited.

The way I'm reading it, If they are following the same road book, they can service
ric678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:28 PM   #5377
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Oddometer: 16,140
Night shif5t...

Complete failure of f5 sweeper truck today... delayed from the DSS... did a skim out to the start... made some noise about the state of every ones GPS and mobile communications... now do a quick nocturnal liason sweep of the f5 course and get to the bivouac in time for the eurosport show...

"There is a difference between constructive criticism and plain rudeness."

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjen

"It's like deja vu all over again."
troy safari carpente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:29 PM   #5378
8340SU
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodovitch View Post
looks like they're checking to see how clogged the air filter got. Remember, Helder has been pushing through the field these past 2 days, must be hell on the engine (see Cyril quote above)
Helder facebook:

I'm pleased. I managed to recover a few more good positions and was one of the first to reach the end of the special. This was a stage that the scenario changed radically. It was a relatively short selective sector, but with some parts very complicated. I came a long time following Farres and only at the end I managed to pass him and stay free of the dust that his bike lifted.
Old 01-09-2013, 12:30 PM   #5379
zenjen
Go Outside

Oddometer: 2,596
Quote:
Originally Posted by XSpearsX View Post
GREAT day for Freedom Rally. All 3 riders made it in. All 3 riders moved up in the standings! Wish everyday could finish like this!
Good job, Freedom Rally Racing Team.

Go!, Luis, Go!
zenjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:33 PM   #5380
BRT771
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Cyril "The only problems I’ve been having out on the stage are the other bikes riding so close to me. The desert is huge but the others like to stay very close to me."

Pau - A bike behind him coming at full speed (a Honda is all I know) managed to hit the nav-tower on Påls bike with his rear wheel, smashing all the instruments.

you can see where Cyril is comming from here.
BRT771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:33 PM   #5381
F650Dakar_Norway
What off-season?

Oddometer: 948
Me also 205'd the translation from Pal Anders' FB. Nuked it
I'm currently slipstreaming the F5/Cmd+R Team Truck
2008 KTM 690 RR
1994 Honda ST1100
F650Dakar_Norway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:34 PM   #5382
practicalshooter
Posteriophobiac

Oddometer: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by F650Dakar_Norway View Post
Me also 205'd the translation from Pal Anders' FB. Nuked it
I'm currently slipstreaming the F5/Cmd+R Team Truck
Vi får vel håpe ingen leser, min, din og googles og samenligner.. Kunne blitt festlig
Old 01-09-2013, 12:36 PM   #5383
garfey
Scruffy Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,606
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly99 View Post
So tomorrow is the marathon day...

I thought the marathon was Fri-Sat, followed by the rest day but now I'm not sure why I thought that.
Old 01-09-2013, 12:37 PM   #5384
F650Dakar_Norway
What off-season?

Oddometer: 948
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drif10 View Post
( on PAU's nav-tower messup and previous crash ) Well, now was the time to have that sort of damage, instead of tomorrow.
Yup. Better today than on the marathon stages.
Darn work and other chores. Impossible to keep up in the F5esh F5esh behind other inmates!
2008 KTM 690 RR
1994 Honda ST1100
F650Dakar_Norway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:37 PM   #5385
8340SU
Beastly Adventurer

Yesterday,
Dakar 2013 Day 4. Interview with Darryl Curtis

15 037 - CURTIS Darryl (ZAF) KTM +00:29:15