Originally Posted by AntiHero View Post
Epic.
BenZvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:38 AM   #1232
Blader54
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,087
Chernobyl Bathroom

Wow! Comparing that bathroom to one at Chernobyl isn't fair to Chernobyl!! Horrific! And in marked contrast to the stunning shots of the Duc!
Blader54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:45 AM   #1233
AntiHero OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by lurw View Post
Oh man, the first picture of the Panigale's tail against the landscape with the sun setting... so much beauty in one picture. And do I spot a dust trail in the distance?

I love how you take your - let's be honest - very expensive motorcycle "out in the wild" and have fun on dirt roads, while many bike owners really baby their bike and whine about the slightest scratch. What you are doing seems to be the right thing to do in areas like the DV or the Southwest in general!

As always, looking forward to seeing more pictures, and keep the (really really shiny how do you do that) side up!
Getting up that thing was the easy part. Getting down was the precarious part. The earth just crumbled away and I kind of slid off the side near the bottom (the top was unpassable). No risk, no reward! And yep--that was a dust trail alright. An SUV followed me onto the trail and passed when I pulled over for pics. The looks on their faces when they went by was priceless. It's a one-way road, so there's no safe way to turn back once you're on it.

Any new bike brings out a little OCD in its owner. And the more beautiful it is the more intense the obsessiveness (hence the reason why Ducati owners tend to end up more meticulous). I've battled OCD before, so the 1199's beauty was no match. In the end, I'd rather reflect on all the experiences I had on a motorbike than reflect on my reflection off a side panel!

Other than hosing her off with a high pressure hose at random self-car-wash stations, detailing (with the exception of Dr. J's garage) involves a squeegee and blue paper towels at the gas station.
AntiHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:46 AM   #1234
AntiHero OP
Beastly Adventurer

First shots of a Ducati on Mars?

I could have used some Borax when it was all over!

Old 01-09-2013, 02:08 PM   #1235
lurw
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Quote:
Getting up that thing was the easy part. Getting down was the precarious part. The earth just crumbled away and I kind of slid off the side near the bottom (the top was unpassable). No risk, no reward!
Exactly! When you are going to think back in ten years and ponder about all the stuff that happened during your epic ride, I suppose it's stories like these (apart from the awesome and interesting people you met) which will be freshest in memory, as they were truly special and one-of-a-kind. Also, do you think there is any other Panigale owner out there who has taken his Duc into the dirt and mud? I doubt it.

The additional post has some awesome photos in it, again. I think when I was there I saw these golden mountains made of parallel ridges from a higher vantage point, I think it was Zabriskie Point. Did your trail get you near there, but from the bottom end?
Old 01-09-2013, 02:09 PM   #1236
KMC1
There is no spoon.

Oddometer: 2,446
Quote:
I know how influential this trip (and the camaraderie on ADV) has been on me. I'm extremely grateful that it's had such a positive impact on more than just myself.
A serious knack for understatement, you have obi wan....

Hey, if you get into salt lake to hit the dealer, drop a line and I'll hook you up with some cold brew and a place to take a hot shower WITHOUT giant, fucking scaryass bugs and possible radiation poisoning!

And by the way, those shots of the Panigale in the desert, with the contrasting colors are just off the hook man. Absolutely incredible imagery.

An Overview of the United States National Debt: http://www.davemanuel.com/us-national-debt-clock.php
KMC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:16 PM   #1237
AntiHero OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurw View Post
Exactly! When you are going to think back in ten years and ponder about all the stuff that happened during your epic ride, I suppose it's stories like these (apart from the awesome and interesting people you met) which will be freshest in memory, as they were truly special and one-of-a-kind. Also, do you think there is any other Panigale owner out there who has taken his Duc into the dirt and mud? I doubt it.

The additional post has some awesome photos in it, again. I think when I was there I saw these golden mountains made of parallel ridges from a higher vantage point, I think it was Zabriskie Point. Did your trail get you near there, but from the bottom end?
I only hope that in 10 years I have many other rides to look back on, too! And I have this R/R memorializing all of it. Perhaps I just need to set a goal that ever time Ducati releases a superbike I have to go offroading with it. :)

Zabriske is a few minutes north of Twenty Mule Team Canyon....basically all along the same geological formation. I've never actually gone up to Zabriske, though. (There's always a bunch of people!)

I'll hit you up KCM1 if I ever make it back to Salt Lake.

And crazy coincidence. I subscribe to Vice for their exceptional and gritty journalism--and what video did they just release? One on the Black Hoof in Toronto--the place I ate the raw horse! So cool!

No clue why it won't embed
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PssJdcu5sL0
Old 01-09-2013, 04:22 PM   #1238
jpod999
n00b

Oddometer: 5
After seeing your posts from Minnesota way back in the thread, I decided to try a gin and tonic with bitters. Having never tried gin before, most people had told me they hated it due to some horror story from when they were 14 and got wasted on it. I picked up some Beefeater, Schweppes, and Angustora the other day, and WOW. So good!
jpod999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:05 PM   #1239
LWRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpod999 View Post
After seeing your posts from Minnesota way back in the thread, I decided to try a gin and tonic with bitters. Having never tried gin before, most people had told me they hated it due to some horror story from when they were 14 and got wasted on it. I picked up some Beefeater, Schweppes, and Angustora the other day, and WOW. So good!
Damn, Anti, now you're driving the inmates to drink!

Still following along!

Mike
My Blog: http://www.roaddogpub.com/node/3
LWRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:49 PM   #1240
ewaugh
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
That road looks like a prime canadiate for some fun times in the Subaru. As much as I like motorcycles, it's a lot easier to slide a car around in the dirt than a motorcycle, and less painful if you screw it up. It's threads like these that make me want be irresponsible and disappear on some grand adventure. I've always been an all or nothing kind of person. I guess the thing to remember is maybe these grand adventures need to come a week at a time while balancing things like work and school, you know, all that adult crap.
ewaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:49 PM   #1241
John Nash
Bluenoser

Oddometer: 160
Black Hoof

Anti... how did you hear of the Black Hoof in Toronto? I watched the youtube video and want to check it out next time in TO.I lived there from 1985 - 1990 what a great city. I am from Nova Scotia..bet you havn't been there yet! Put it on your list of must see places.Rock on brother,enjoying your MC travel/ride report..great pictures!

John Nash screwed with this post 01-09-2013 at 09:55 PM
John Nash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:55 PM   #1242
prince_ruben
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,717
As a scientist, I take borax for granted when in the lab. Because of your pics, I want to harvest it.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:40 AM   #1243
BenZvan
N7

Oddometer: 89
Bitters

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpod999 View Post
I picked up some Beefeater, Schweppes, and Angustora the other day, and WOW. So good!
I'd highly recommend picking up bitters from Bittercube.com. Not only are Nick and Ira great guys and outstanding mixologists, they make some of the most flavorful bitters I've ever tasted. Their limited edition Lemon Tree bitters are excellent in a gin and tonic. Also...if you want to go whole hog on the G&T, pick up some Q Tonic.
BenZvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:18 PM   #1244
Sumanster
2-wheel commuter & tourer

Oddometer: 8
Brilliant RR

AH, I only just stumbled onto this RR 3 days ago, and finally caught up last night. Thank you for the fantastic photos and insights.

I've ridden a lot of the southern part of the US from coast to coast, including NOLA & DV, and agree those are amazing destinations. Having been to DV twice on weekends, I'm curious what day(s) of the week you were there to avoid the crowds?

Anyway, continued safe travels and best wishes on your book! :)
Sumanster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:15 PM   #1245
vaara
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 249
*delurk*

Add me to the ever-growing list of people who joined ADVRider just because of AntiHero. I've relished every single pixel of this RR and am hoping against hope that AH will richochet off California and continue to carom around North America for a few more years, just so we can have some more eye and brain candy to enjoy.

Yeah, OK, I'm selfish that way.

As for me, I'm firmly ensconced in San Francisco, where an "adventure ride" means slaloming across trolley tracks on a rainy day, but this has inspired me to try to find a way to become unstuck -- as Kurt Vonnegut would say -- sometime soon, or at least before the big multiple-of-10 birthday I have coming up.
vaara is offline   Reply With Quote