Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2013, 04:17 PM   #16
vtbob
wanderer

Oddometer: 504
fwiw I have the "silver star" H7 replacement bulbs....not the Osram....but similar idea conventional Halogen bulb designed for a bit higher color temp but the same 55w. these are noticably better, brighter than the stock bulbs. and they do match the stock head light/reflector design and laws. I'm happy with them....an I'm way to cheap to do a real HID conversion.

In the past a used (on other bikes/cars) several of the "100w" bulbs with marginal improvement. These bulbs did not come from the framiliar names like Phillips etc. the light was a bit brighter but not twice as bright and the bulb did run hotter and I had some plastic deformation in one case. I think the extra watts went more to heat than light..ie sloppy design.

I'm waiting for the LED solution...but that too, like the HID article above said, will require a whole lens/reflector redesigned head light to be effective
vtbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:32 PM   #17
mustardfj40
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden View Post
Yeah... big problem is that once the reflective coating starts to go ... the problem feeds on its self....
darker = more heat absorbed = hotter = more damage = .....
From what I read, you can't simply replace the light reflector only, BMW only sells the whole unit which is expensive?
mustardfj40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:41 PM   #18
KLRscoob
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 197
I have been using a pair of 1200kv HID's in my F8GS for 4 years. No burnt out bulbs, no discoloration, no tickets, and more light than I know what to do with!

In honor of Gregory N. Millard
Son - Brother - Hero
KLRscoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:02 PM   #19
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustardfj40 View Post
From what I read, you can't simply replace the light reflector only, BMW only sells the whole unit which is expensive?
yeah... According to the parts list the reflector is only available as part of the complete assembly for about $440 USD... you can't just buy the reflector ....... Even if you could get just the reflector, the glass is apparently "glued" in with a adhesive / sealant which "inhibits" dis-assembly ... kind of a bummer .........
JRWooden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:27 AM   #20
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,333
No way to replace a cracked lense or damaged reflector, entire new unit only.

The flaking and discoloration of the reflector with HID lights is common, and AFAIK not really due to extra heat (usually 35W vs. the halogen 55W) but rather the higher UV emission of the aftermarket Chinese HID bulbs.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:08 AM   #21
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,114
Myself and several other GS owners have had the problem using only the OEM-style bulbs
JRWooden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 07:25 PM   #22
murpies
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
I'm using the stock bulb H7-55W OEM and now it melting my headlight sliver reflector.
murpies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 12:18 PM   #23
Air0ne
Adventure reader

Oddometer: 163
Please report your F800GS melted headlight here. The more we are, the quicker we will find a solution... maybe

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=887887&page=4

BMW F800 GS 2009
Ckeck out my ride reports

Air0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 11:48 PM   #24
fnatic
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
Thumbs down Osram

Tried the OSRAM H7 upgrades, couldn't really tell the difference. So put the H7's in my car and upgraded the BMW Low and Hi Beam to 35w HID. Been going strong 12 months now no cracking/melting/delaminating to speak of.

Really wanted to go with the 55w HID as there is a big difference between the 35w and 55w HID but was warned when purchasing that the 55w puts out a lot more heat. But the difference between the stock H7/Osram and the 35w HID is night and day.

Thought about the 55w Hella/25w Cyclops conversion but happy with my HID's + my auxillary lighting. Night riding very enjoyable. Whatever you choose upgrading liting is always a great option.

fnatic screwed with this post 04-21-2014 at 12:01 AM
fnatic is offline   Reply With Quote