Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2012, 06:54 PM   #16
Katoom72
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Head2Wind View Post
I like the Galfer Green front and back, good initial bite, don't fade, deal with wet well, don't squeal and don't appear to wear rotor too bad, but they do go away quicker than the OEM units for sure. I have not tried the Ceramic Galfers yet, mostly because the Greens seem to work for my needs...
I got the ones from the power parts catalogue.
'00 KTM 250sx -- '03 KTM 450sx -- '03 Yamaha R6 -- '08 KTM SuperDuke R --- '13 KTM 690 enduro R
Katoom72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:38 AM   #17
dogsdangles OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
I haven't found any online retailer that carries the Brembo pads for my 990A. Does anyone have any sources? I looked at the KTM spare parts catalog, and the OEM pads are Toshibas.

As you can tell from the time between now and my original post, I was able to squeeze out a few more miles from my pads ;). I'm at about 13.5k miles (sadly, most of it commuting on asphalt), and the rear pads are finally shot. The fronts could probably go another few miles, but I'd rather replace them sooner than later.
dogsdangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:30 PM   #18
Deepc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 299
I used galfer greens on the front and galfer blacks on the rear of my 05.5 950A. I'm switching to greens on the rear because the blacks are eating through my rear rotor at a alarming rate.
Deepc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:51 PM   #19
Katoom72
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 830
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsdangles View Post
I haven't found any online retailer that carries the Brembo pads for my 990A. Does anyone have any sources? I looked at the KTM spare parts catalog, and the OEM pads are Toshibas.

As you can tell from the time between now and my original post, I was able to squeeze out a few more miles from my pads ;). I'm at about 13.5k miles (sadly, most of it commuting on asphalt), and the rear pads are finally shot. The fronts could probably go another few miles, but I'd rather replace them sooner than later.
Toshiba is the manufacturer for Brembo pads.

Check the print on the box and the stamp in the pads ;)

I work at a factory for plastic products. The stamp on the labels is different then the stamp on the product itself.
The company on the label outsources the production, design and material choice to us. The same is done for all kinds of production.

Example: My 250sx 2003 has an Italian(!) made KTM clutch basket. I always tought KTM was Austrian? -> outsourced but stamped with KTM.

Another example is the KTM 690 duke. Bajaj factories build the bike with parts and materials they selected as cheap as possible but still meeting KTM standards. Also to add that 690 Dukes that come on the market outside of India are being revieuwed by KTM factory standard quality controls before they are thrown on the market.

So to ease your mind: Quality control is always done by the standards of the outsourcing company.
But as every kind of production, bad batches of products can occur. (same happens at our factory)
That's why they switched from another manufacturer on the 2007 brake pads for the Superduke (HAWK -> TOSHIBA), the pads simply fell apart. (ok, that last part might not ease your mind )

It all comes down to two things: Price and quality. Factories always make things 'good enough' instead of 'over-engineering' stuff. Doing the latter wil costs more but adds nothing in the end.

Katoom72 screwed with this post 01-09-2013 at 05:17 PM
Katoom72 is online now   Reply With Quote