If I was there.

I would.

Really.

Kevin would have just watched.

Casteu's email news letter:

www.casteu.fr

Magnifique victoire de David !

Mercredi 9 janvier 2013 – 5e étape Arequipa – Arica

David a remporté mercredi la 5e étape du Dakar-2013 courue entre Arequipa (Pérou) et Arica sur 410 km, dont une spéciale de 136 km, à l’issue de laquelle Olivier Pain (Yamaha) a conservé la tête du classement général.
David a devancé Olivier Pain de 1′09” en finissant en 1 h 39′42”, l’Italien Allessandro Botturi (Husqvarna) terminant 3e à 3′25”.

Au classement général, Olivier Pain devance David d’une minute et 15 secondes, tandis que Cyril Despres (KTM), 4e de l’étape, est 3e à 6′07”.
C’est un retour au sommet pour le Niçois, trois ans après sa victoire lors de la première étape de l’édition 2010. Après trois ‘‘Dakar’’ marqués par un abandon (2010) et des places dans les profondeurs du classement en 2011 et 2012, le Niçois a énormément travaillé physiquement et perfectionné une Yamaha YZF 450 qu’il connaît par cœur.
Parti avec l’expérience de dix ‘‘Dakar’’, David est depuis le début de la course dans le peloton de tête tout en se permettant même d’ouvrir la piste.
« Tout s’est super bien passé, la Yamaha a super bien roulé, raconte-t-il après avoir passé la ligne d’arrivée. Dès le km 20, j’ai rattrapé Olivier Pain et nous avons roulé ensemble. Nous avons bien géré la course, nous avons fait la trace. Ce fut une belle étape ».
Cette 3e victoire d’étape, après celles de 2006 et 2010, lui fait énormément plaisir : « D’autant que c’est le début du rallye, tous les pilotes sont là et personne ne gère ». Après le sable des étapes péruviennes, cette 5e étape fut plus rocailleuse : « C’était très dur, avec beaucoup de pierres, de dangers, il fallait être hyper vigilant ».

Le coéquipier de David, Romain Souvignet, poursuit sa route en se classant 40e à 19′50” du vainqueur et 35e au général à 1 h 28′16” du leader.
Ce jeudi, David s’attaque à la 6e étape, disputée aujourd’hui au Chili, entre Arica et Calama avec une liaison de 331 km et une spéciale de 454 km dans le désert de l’Atacama.

Splendid victory of David!

Wednesday, January 9, 2013 - Stage 5 - Arequipa Arica

David won Wednesday the 5th stage of the Dakar 2013 between raced Arequipa (Peru) and on Arica 410 km, including 136 km of special, after which Olivier Pain (Yamaha) retained the overall lead.
David overtook Olivier Pain 1'09 "ending in 1 h 39'42", Italian Alessandro Botturi (Husqvarna) finishing 3rd at 3'25 ".

Overall, ahead of David Olivier Pain a minute and 15 seconds, while Cyril Despres (KTM), the fourth step is third in 6'07 ".
This is a return to the Nice summit, three years after his victory in the first stage of the 2010 edition. After three'' Dakar'' marked by abandonment (2010) and places in the depths of the rankings in 2011 and 2012, the Frenchman has worked hard physically and perfected a Yamaha YZF 450 he knows by heart.
Party with the experience of ten'' Dakar'' David is the beginning of the race in the forefront while allowing even open the track.
"Everything was great, the Yamaha has great roll, says it after passing the finish line. At the km 20, I caught Olivier Pain and we rode together. We managed the race track we made. It was a great step. "
This 3rd stage victory after those of 2006 and 2010, it is a great pleasure: "Especially since this is the start of the rally, all the drivers are there and nobody manages." After the sand steps Peruvian, this fifth step was more rocky: "It was very hard with lots of stones, dangers, he must be hyper vigilant."

David's teammate Romain Souvignet, continues its road ranking 40th in 19'50 "winner and 35th overall at 1 h 28'16" behind the leader.
Thursday, David tackles the sixth stage, played today in Chile between Arica and Calama with a link of 331 km and 454 km special in the Atacama Desert

Bluebull2007 screwed with this post 01-09-2013 at 07:13 PM
Bluebull2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:59 PM   #5597
8340SU
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,316
Latest Rally News: Stage 5 - Peru - News - Dakar Rally, Peru - 09/01/2013

Positive day for Team HRC

Positive Start for Team HRCDay 5 Arequipa – Arica 136 km special 275 km liaison The Dakar Rally enters Chile and the difference is visible in terms of the scenery and the average speed recorded at the end of the stage. Riders tackled mountains rocky paths today reaching 2,200 meters before riding downhill for a 136-km long stage. It was a very demanding stage from a physical point of view especially in the stony sections and in the river bed crossings.Team HRC Riders started this relatively short stage with the target to close the gap from the front riders but without taking too many risks. It was a tight battle at the front with French David Casteu winning the stage 1'09" ahead of Olivier Pain and 3'25" in front of Alessandro Botturi. Cyril Despres finished in fourth place, 4'07'' behind his countryman, whilst Helder Rodrigues was eighth, 4'52" behind the stage winner. Javier Pizzolito finished 18th, while Johnny Campbell finished in 24th position.Argentinian Pizzolito now sits in 11th place overall (25’45” behind Pain who maintains the lead) followed by his team mate Helder Rodrigues, 12th at 25’58”. Johnny Campbell sits in 98th place.

Helder Rodrigues, SS5 8th +4’52”, 12th in the Overall: “It was a technical stage with lots of fech fech mixed with rocks, some fast “off piste” and then we climbed on rocky trails up to 2,000 meters. As it was a short stage, my strategy was not to push too much, so that tomorrow I can start in 8th position and I can attack focusing on recovering positions. My CRF 450 rally worked well today and I’m satisfied with today’s performance”.

Javier Pizzolito SS5 18th +7’42”, 11th in the Overall: “The final stage in Peru was short but very technical. I didn’t push too much as this was not a stage where you could recover many positions. I’m focusing on the first stage in Chile tomorrow where we will face sand and dunes of the Atacama desert”.

Johnny Campbell SS5 24th +14’50”, 98th in the Overall: “At the beginning there was a lot of fech fech mixed with stones so I rode more conservative, then we had a challenging hill climb on rocky mountains trails. Riding downhill, we faced tricky river crossings with lots of ditches. I was not comfortable in the first part of the stage, but after km 50, when we got some fast hard terrain, it was more a “Baja style” ride and I could ride more on full gas”.
8340SU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:59 PM   #5598
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,554
Dakar race - Johnny Campbell
Stage 5
275 km liaison
136 km special
At the beginning of the day we rode thru allot of technical rocky sections so I rode more conservative, then we had a challenging but fun hill climb on rocky mountains trails that required complete focus. Riding downhill, we faced tricky river crossings with lots of ditches. Overall it was more Baja style than the dunes today after km 50, we got some fast hard terrain, I could ride more on the gas. The bike worked really well today I finished in 25th and everyone on the team moved forward in overall position. Tomorrow will be a big day with over 700k total milage and over 400k special. My plan is to keep the bike moving and avoid any trouble. The team is all working very hard and while we are not quite half way we are in the thick of the rally at this point so it is important for me to get rest and allow plenty of preparation time for my daily road book work. I really appreciate all the support from my family & friends it keeps me going. The USA contingent here in Dakar has been great and we continue to make headway.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:00 PM   #5599
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,011
Quote:
Originally Posted by ric678 View Post
They had to push his bike for almost 100 miles and another 275 special liaison to the bivouac: "We were taking turns, dragging as we could,

That's alot of pushing!!
I think they were pulling it with a rope, a mistranslation most likely

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8340SU View Post
Barreda's dream ends

He had everything planned to the fifth stage. Then came new plans and goals. Everything seemed to go smoothly: nailed his goals being the tenth ranked in the first stage: short, a snack, went out among the former, but not in the lead, the second day and that allowed him to quickly close the gap and win the stage, the same made on the fourth day, but the day before had been something more to break the spokes of the wheel and went further back than expected, but he continued to surprise, daring, fast. In the fifth stage, the more enduro, the more technical, which is said goodbye to the dunes momentarily and welcomed miss roads and land harder, all plans were ruined.

Barreda fuel pump broke his at kilometer 40 of a special 136, a short timed, which speaks volumes about the difficulty of the terrain. The Spanish, one of the biggest names in the beginning of this rally, reached the last checkpoint three hours after the first, David Casteu, and just behind teammate Matt Fish, who gave him a hand to complete the stage. So Barreda, winner of two stages, says goodbye to his title options. Frenchman Olivier Pain Yamaha leads the overall thanks to his consistency and challenge his compatriot Cyril Despres, third place and the favorite.

"I could not move forward, towards the end we suffered a lot. Fish had a fuel pump, but would not have solved anything, "recounted the Barreda, who believes that the problem derives from Wednesday when he suffered the accident two days earlier:" By going with broken spokes and wheel side by side I think it broke the tank, "he said, his face still dirty, full of dust, exhausted after more than five hours of a terrible job. They had to push his bike for almost 100 miles and another 275 special liaison to the bivouac: "We were taking turns, dragging as we could, we have fallen several times and have come out a little from the path to find an easier way without forgetting go through all the obligatory passage points "he recalled.

Throughout the year I have not had any mechanical problems and now I have been the only in the team with problems
And hurt by the missed opportunity: "Now the race is already lost. And you have to learn and analyze what happened. We are still in an upward, both the team and myself. The pity is that in all the years I've had no mechanical problems and now I have been the only in team with problems. I've had bad luck. " Confess it will cost to ride the bike on Thursday: "Now you remember the work done throughout the year and you realize that everything is going to hell in a moment. But had a hard time getting here, so you have to follow. " From now on, he says, is to get to Santiago and take advantage of what is to gain experience and help fellow Botturi Gonçalves and to get into the top 5. "And if I can pull, open track someday and take risks in terms of navigation, I will take" ditch thinking ahead.
Sheesh he sounds quite devastated. He is still so young and talented, I think he will learn a lot from this dakar and be a real force to be reckoned with next year. I'll be curious to see how many stage wins he will get between now and the end of the rally.

Loving your posts,and pics- thank you very much!

Here is another pic of my boy in the cars Geniel de Villiers!

From http://deportes.elpais.com/deportes/...263_1357763298
Old 01-09-2013, 07:01 PM   #5600
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,554
Pushed for 300k's? Well, ya got me beat.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:04 PM   #5601
ric678
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 866
5 550
MICHEL BOUCOU (FRA)
FRANCK CORNILLE (FRA)
JOSE MARTINS (PRT)
RENAULT
NOT STARTING

Hmmm Truck that helped Robby withdrawn on stage 5....tinfoil hats and mustache man involved??
Old 01-09-2013, 07:09 PM   #5602
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciampa View Post

They don't call him Crash Gordon for nothing.

Old 01-09-2013, 07:11 PM   #5603
8340SU
Beastly Adventurer

more HRC photos

Old 01-09-2013, 07:12 PM   #5604
Resist
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
This video is cool of the trucks attempting dunes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAj65CnF_Kg
Resist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:13 PM   #5605
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Oddometer: 18,431
F5 true story;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebull2007 View Post
ohhh la la I was going to respond when the Doc arrived at my house....
Bluebull was tired of the FDA approved medication he was being administered at the hospital and decided to jump back on ADVRider for his F5 fix. He logged onto the f5irehose to escape from the painful reality of his debilitating accident as possible.

Bluebull found the f5irehose largely unattended…. Other than one f5rostbitten reprobate from the northern hemisphere, and a bookworm from outside the big apple, it was almost total peace and quiet.

After rummaging through 60 pages or so, he was finishing off one of doyles informative posts, when someone sends him a PM. He opens it and there, large as life is a photo of a big, hairy bloke done up in his birthday ATGATT . "G’day… name's Eunuch... inmate from around fourty below zero... we’re having a cam party on Sunday during the rest day... thought you'd like an invite…?!."

"Great," says Bluebull, "after 8 days of this shit, I'm ready to get virtual with some of the local f5olks. Thank you."
As Eunuch was about to log off, he pauses… and fires off another PM, "Gotta warn you there's gonna be some drinking."

"Not a problem... say’s BluebullAfter 25 years in the mining game, I can drink with the best of 'em."

Again, Eunuch starts to log off, stops, and send off another PM. "Ummmm… More 'n' likely gonna be some fightin' too."

Damn, Bluebull thinks... some of the JoMomma crowd must be invited ?

"Well, I get along with most people… even BMW riders, so count me in. I'll be there. Thanks again."

Once again Eunuch is about to turn off his ‘puter, when he remembers another item he should probably mention. "I've heard told that there can be some wild cam-sex goin's on at these shin-digs as well from time to time…"

"Now that's not a problem," says Bluebull, "Toxic Brittany animated and live eh…?! Now THAT’s what I’m talkin’ about… Remember I've been laid up in bed with plaster on both legs for eight days… I’ve got some wood a cat couldn’t scratch!!!! I'll definitely be there... by the way, how many contacts should I configure my SKYPE portal to accommodate…?"

Eunuch sends off one final PM… it reads; "Only one… it’s just gonna be the two of us."
Old 01-09-2013, 07:13 PM   #5606
8340SU
Beastly Adventurer

one more...
Old 01-09-2013, 07:14 PM   #5607
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciampa View Post

They don't call him Crash Gordon for nothing.

CRASH....!!!
AAAAAAAAH AAAARGH...!
He'll graze any one of us...??!!

troy safari carpente screwed with this post 01-09-2013 at 07:30 PM Reason: is this fronm the RG at DAKAR 2013 thread...?
troy safari carpente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:16 PM   #5608
too old
Keen supporter

Oddometer: 2,556
Quote:
Originally Posted by ric678 View Post
I know CDP says he not pushing 100% right now and I think that's a good thing to try and pace yourself in this long of a race, But have we heard much from the other camps on how hard there riders really are pushing? CDP obviously thinks they are flying, Could be his older age than the youngsters just makes him think they are running hard?? Don't know for sure...Just my ramblings from the sidelines
Or is it an evolution in the Dakar with both machines and riders?

No opinion from me on this, purely an observation - but I am sure there is some opinion out there?

too old screwed with this post 01-09-2013 at 08:03 PM
too old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:19 PM   #5609
8340SU
Beastly Adventurer

speedbrain

Old 01-09-2013, 07:22 PM   #5610
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Quote:
Originally Posted by EKIN View Post
The rookies would like to know, when did the F5 crew actually start?
The syndrome has been around for a number of years (2006 is as far back as I go and can remember... but f5 was a trickle then compared to the torrent we are confronted with today).

But the actual term F5 came about (common ADVRider useage) about the 2009 el'dakaro (IIRC), but really caught on when carlton actually started making reference to the F5 crew in his tweets, and on a few occassions in the Eurosnort broadcasts (2010 & 2011 thereabouts).

It reached fever pitch last year, when teams and other news sources started quoting F5 as a source in their releases... (INSERT absurdity emoticon here )

I'm sure headmaster f5lood or sensei PackMule can cite some more specific examples, but that's about the gist of the whole diseased f5enomenon...