Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2013, 08:37 PM   #5641
PackMule
love what you do

Oddometer: 19,460
Quote:
Originally Posted by drgunther View Post
Refueling from local fishermen during the SS? If I'm not completely misinformed that's not allowed - right?
Correct.

Dakar ees Dakar.

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

They don't expect you to finish. That's why it's the Dakar. -- PPiA
PackMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:38 PM   #5642
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,963
Stoked Lyndon still has such a positive attitude

Thanks Nate

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:40 PM   #5643
PackMule
love what you do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodovitch View Post
Couldn't agree more. Seriously, the length of today's special was a joke.
Listen to Pyndon's RallyRAIDio call. Hardly seems like a joke any more (at least for the mortals).

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

Old 01-09-2013, 08:43 PM   #5644
zenjen
Go Outside

Oddometer: 2,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand View Post
Pushed for 300k's? Well, ya got me beat.

But, I'll bet they didn't do it in just their skivvies. - So you've got that on 'em.
zenjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:48 PM   #5645
PackMule
love what you do

Quote:
Originally Posted by shearboy2004 View Post
Not much mentioned about him here , we seem to concentrated on Honda, Husky,Yamaha and KTM . Looks like he is doing really well and his game plan is top 10 , anyone think he will make it ?
Sherco has had FI since 2005 and I know Ned thinks highly of them and their FI , last year I believe it was the mechanics treating the Dakar as a holiday rather than an event that let Verhoven down with triple clamps coming undone and such .

Is there a collective thought on the possibilities of Alain doing well ?

Alain is steady, and experienced. He showed flashes of quickness a few years ago, but with the young guns in the race now I'd expect his results to come through attrition (or avoidance of same).

Top 10 sounds like a very reasonable expectation -- if the bike holds together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ric678 View Post
So let me see if I understand this...They do tomorrows stages..then the vehicles are locked away overnight, then do the next days stages without any repair work done by teams, only refueling and repairs by rider on course?
Correct, kind of. Expect "race assistance", which means the water carriers will back off to preserve their bikes to pillage for spares (wheels, etc) after tomorrow's stage.

Old 01-09-2013, 08:49 PM   #5646
Spark Plug
Low on compression

Oddometer: 1,336
Quote:
Originally Posted by PackMule View Post
his enjoyment of the stage is nevertheless very clear in his voice (as Ned predicted it would be today). ]

I seem to recall Ned's voice sounding about the same through some of the stages last year. The thing I think is really cool, first with Ned and now with Lyndon is the enjoyment in their voices. For them this isn't a job but a passion or goal they worked hard to achieve and they are having fun. In my eyes this is the true Dakar.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:49 PM   #5647
EKIN
Just Do It

Oddometer: 548
Quote:
Originally Posted by PackMule View Post
Listen to Pyndon's RallyRAIDio call. Hardly seems like a joke any more (at least for the mortals).
Obviously shorter stage does not mean easier after listening to the call tonight. Pyndon still sounds great.

Man was it me, or did he sound just like Ned from last year? I know they are good friends, but no denying how similar their mindset is when they talk about tackling these stages.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:50 PM   #5648
EKIN
Just Do It

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkplug678 View Post
I seem to recall Ned's voice sounding about the same through some of the stages last year. The thing I think is really cool, first with Ned and now with Lyndon is the enjoyment in their voices. For them this isn't a job but a passion or goal they worked hard to achieve and they are having fun. In my eyes this is the true Dakar.
Ha, I wasn't the only one.....
Old 01-09-2013, 08:51 PM   #5649
PackMule
love what you do

Quote:
Originally Posted by yammie View Post
Why have a loop at the end on day 81
So that it's easy to slice off if the attrition rate is too high?

I haven't looked at the map, is the rest day in Copiapo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy safari carpente View Post
hi Carlos;

I think you are on the money!

With Cyril as the "lone soldier" against everyone else in the "one man standing battle royal"... I think KTM management want another bullet in the chamber... not all eggs in one basket.

As Faria occupies 4th in the gen class (one spot... 7 minutes behind CDP), he may be given the free reign... perhaps not to pass or compete with the #1 bike (Faria start in pos 13 for leg 6... 8 pos behind Despres in pos. 5) but to "be there" if something happens (if so; quick stop and check - then push on to keep the flag at front) and leave the assistance to Pedrero (who might find a stop sign in front of him a couple of km's after the DSS tomorrow seeing as he start two pos ahead of Despres in 3) or Caselli who is away at pos. 20... although a little far back (Despres would be stationary for at least 15 to 20 minutes by the time Curt get's to him... if there were a problem...

So my intuitive slide rule says that Pedrero will be tomorrow's mystery "bike #12 has stopped inexplicably at km 6 in todays sppecial" ASO message on Dakar.com tracker comments.

Bet they're wishing Reuben had those 14 minutes back that he waited the other day...

Old 01-09-2013, 08:54 PM   #5650
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Oddometer: 18,730
Question random F5 ramblings in the wee hours

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drif10 View Post
About it.

Just a bunch of us fans without access or resources before that, bitching about the Speed/OLN 'coverage'. SMS out of Oz was the shit back then.
It's true that my own personal pendulum swings back and forth between the nitty gritty of rally raid sport... and the absurd, but at this wee hour (03;45 am local CET in Sweden) here is an opportune moment for me to provide youa all with an neduro-esque insight into my own cerebral connection to the f5 faucet...

2006 dakar rally and on the day of the 9th leg of the race, I recieve a text message on my cell phone at work in Sweden from a close friend, (from within the sport); #10 AC fatal crash today in Mauritania... Did not suffer.

I felt immediately cold and numb all over... a person I had known - since my mx teens as a junior in Oz - and seen flourish to become Australia's greatest everrally rider - via his participation and almost total dominance of the Australian Safari 1999 to 2004 - had been taken by the most (in)famous rally of them all.

I was not at the start of the 2006 DAKAR (had planned to... but work commitments dictated otherwise) but HAD seen Andy at the Tunisia Rally almost a year prior; which was part of his ongoing commitment to master the African dune stages as part of his attempt to compete at the very top level in DAKAR.

His oppotunity came, when seconded into the Repsol KTM squad only a couple of weeks prior to the 2006 rally, to replace the injured Spanish rider - Jordi Duran - on the #10 KTM LC4 700 factory Rallye.

I just starred at the words on my cell phone... I was cold, pale and felt like everything went silent around me. A collegue in the office next to mine saw me - visibly shaken - and asked what the matter was...?

I started to explain; Ummmm... a friend of mine - I said - from the Safari, back in Australia - um - he was killed - at D... (I paused to collect myself) he was killed at DAK... killed at DAK-AR... then at that point my voice broke and I actually started to sobb... the tears welled up.

My colleague had no idea... and I am sure that the only word in the whole sentence that had made any sense to him at all (I spoke in Swedish of course) was Australia.

I went back into my office, and starred at a copy of my fathers book (about the Oz safari rally) on the shelf next to my desk. I turned to the page where I knew AC's Safari victory photo was featured...

I sat in my office and looked at it for maybe ten... fifteen minutes or more... numb...

I needed to tell someone, talk to someone, verbalize the emotions and the loss that this freak tragic motorcycle accident in a rally - so far removed from the workday environment I found myself surrounded by - had suddenly impacted upon me.

But who could I tell... No one at the office could even begin to fathom the sense of "kin" that an event like the Safari or Dakar can instill in those who participate. I often said that I spent more of my life, and felt a geater empathy towards my circle of rally fraternity acquaintances, than even my next door neighbours... nice people beside whom I had lived for nigh on four years... but knew not their first names.

I went on line and googled "andy caldecott dakar rally"... amongst the hits was a link to the ADVRider.com racing forum (andys name was in the start list of top 20 riders someone had posted).

I had been an inmate since 2005... but only sporadically posted... even then mostly in the OZ forum... racing I lurked at occassionally if something on a rally or baja was posted, but raely if at all more than that.

I found the DAKAR 2006 thread, read a few posts...

here were some people who got it... who shared the same experience... even if only via the remote contact of cyberspace, they were connected to the DAKAR... they "got it"... i felt compelled to write something... this was it;

01-09-2006, 03:19 PM

troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Oddometer: 13,537

As I can see on the web, news of this terrible tradgedy has started to filter through down under to the many people in Australia who have been following this tremendous aussie champions efforts in the deserts of africa. As an ex-patriot australian living here in europe AC's efforts over the last three years in DAKAR - indeed his entire motocross and more recently Safari' racing career - have been awe inspiring...

To Andy's wife, family and friends at home in Oz, our sincerest condolences. To the fantastic community of Keith in SA and the people who put their whole hearted support behind Andy's assault to conquer the ultimate challenge in rally raids over the last three years... we are sadened by the passing of your #1 son...

I hope that you all can find a little consolation - and I am sure that Andy would have got a kick out of knowing - that many of the european fans over here had taken the Aussie "(w)underdog" into their hearts... as a result of his fantastic results and down to earth personality.

rest well mate!

That was 13,000 something posts ago...

Since then I have made many friends here, majority who i have never met face to face, but regards as friends just the same. There are many other old racing and rally acquaintances who i have gotten intouch with via this site also... being an ex.pat Aussie in sweden, ADVRider affords me an avenue to keep in touch with many like minded... or in the case of the f5 crew (insane) individuals who share a passion for this sport... the pinnacle of which has been and still is despite it's metamophosis - DAKAR.

There was only ever one Andy Caldecott, just as there was only ever one Elmer Symonds, one Richard Sainct, one Fabrizio Meoni... or in fact one of all of us. In some bizzare way, this seemingly cold, sterile web based forum, brings folks from all corners of the globe and allows us to bitch, whinge, bicker, cry, laugh and rejoice together... all at the same time.

and I for one am proud and priveliged to say, that it's a buzz to be a part of.

Long live Dakar, long live the ADVRider forum and long live the f5 freaks that inhabit it.

Thanks Baldy

f5olks at home, hit your donation buttons if you feel so inclined.

see ya's for Stage 6 tomorrow!

... look's like carpente found it..."
troy safari carpente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:00 PM   #5651
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 5,019
Late into the Bivouac

Cliff Notes caught up, still churning sand on the main F5irehose course.

Next to watch the France 4 and Eurosport over hasty dinner.

Thanks to all for the great pix, vids, analysis and commentary!

The Moto field leaders keeps changing every day, just a few up front running steady. It's been a great race so far. So glad to see the underdogs in and Pyndon rocks! Hope to see Thomas and the Berg gain more ground.
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:00 PM   #5652
PackMule
love what you do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos M View Post

Looks like Duclos is using the ERTF cap repeater in Odometer mode (ERTF pdf info) as his main odometer and Tony's RNS as his secondary?? How does this Speedocap thing from ERTF works? It displays the Unik GPS odometer but the pdf speaks of a "Recalage automatique chaque WPT" - when the Unik reaches one ofthe Waypoints, will this Odometer assume the Total Odo distance on the roadbookj???? Intriguing....
So cool to see Tony's hardware taken on by top level teams!

Interested if we get an answer to your question. Tony, are you out there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drif10 View Post
And with stage 5 in the books, we have a clear stage winner, now in the lead. The rook is a close third:

Who Posted?
Total Posts: 5,567

User Name Oddometer

PackMule 307
Brodovitch 306
ric678 293
Flood 236
Bluebull2007 220
too old 216
8340SU 182
knybanjo 177
troy safari carpente 152
Deadly99 148
Drif10 129
Dekatria 129
Stagehand 126
This ain't exactly my first rodeo.

I fully expect the youngsters to come out blazing now, but one or two of them will over commit along the way.

Quote:
I read somewhere earlier that the marathon was day 6/7... but your intel say's 7/8---?

Not surprising really... the live timing yesterday had the liason and selective distances reversed...

in either case, the strategy for tomorrows long stage (454 km's... unless the secretary got that wrong as well?) still holds... some one will play hare and try to encourage others to chase, while some will play fox and follow to see if they stumble...

The carion will be left for the buzzards here at f5 to feast on...

Pal Anders' write up said it began tomorrow, but that's clearly been disproved now, with it coming the two days before the rest day. Hope Pal sleeps well tonight!

Old 01-09-2013, 09:08 PM   #5653
Baja Dad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,908
Troy you are a true friend in a far off FROZEN land!!!
I sure wish we coud ride the Dunes in baja again!!!!!
Old 01-09-2013, 09:08 PM   #5654
EKIN
Just Do It

Quote:
It's true that my own personal pendulum swings back and forth between the nitty gritty of rally raid sport... and the absurd, but at this wee hour (03;45 am local CET in Sweden) here is an opportune moment for me to provide youa all with an neduro-esque insight into my own cerebral connection to the f5 faucet...

2006 dakar rally and on the day of the 9th leg of the race, I recieve a text message on my cell phone at work in Sweden from a close friend, (from within the sport); #10 AC fatal crash today in Mauritania... Did not suffer.

I felt immediately cold and numb all over... a person I had known - since my mx teens as a junior in Oz - and seen flourish to become Australia's greatest everrally rider - via his participation and almost total dominance of the Australian Safari 1999 to 2004 - had been taken by the most (in)famous rally of them all.

I was not at the start of the 2006 DAKAR (had planned to... but work commitments dictated otherwise) but HAD seen Andy at the Tunisia Rally almost a year prior; which was part of his ongoing commitment to master the African dune stages as part of his attempt to compete at the very top level in DAKAR.

His oppotunity came, when seconded into the Repsol KTM squad only a couple of weeks prior to the 2006 rally, to replace the injured Spanish rider - Jordi Duran - on the #10 KTM LC4 700 factory Rallye.

I just starred at the words on my cell phone... I was cold, pale and felt like everything went silent around me. A collegue in the office next to mine saw me - visibly shaken - and asked what the matter was...?

I started to explain; Ummmm... a friend of mine - I said - from the Safari, back in Australia - um - he was killed - at D... (I paused to collect myself) he was killed at DAK... killed at DAK-AR... then at that point my voice broke and I actually started to sobb... the tears welled up.

My colleague had no idea... and I am sure that the only word in the whole sentence that had made any sense to him at all (I spoke in Swedish of course) was Australia.

I went back into my office, and starred at a copy of my fathers book (about the Oz safari rally) on the shelf next to my desk. I turned to the page where I knew AC's Safari victory photo was featured...

I sat in my office and looked at it for maybe ten... fifteen minutes or more... numb...

I needed to tell someone, talk to someone, verbalize the emotions and the loss that this freak tragic motorcycle accident in a rally - so far removed from the workday environment I found myself surrounded by - had suddenly impacted upon me.

But who could I tell... No one at the office could even begin to fathom the sense of "kin" that an event like the Safari or Dakar can instill in those who participate. I often said that I spent more of my life, and felt a geater empathy towards my circle of rally fraternity acquaintances, than even my next door neighbours... nice people beside whom I had lived for nigh on four years... but knew not their first names.

I went on line and googled "andy caldecott dakar rally"... amongst the hits was a link to the ADVRider.com racing forum (andys name was in the start list of top 20 riders someone had posted).

I had been an inmate since 2005... but only sporadically posted... even then mostly in the OZ forum... racing I lurked at occassionally if something on a rally or baja was posted, but raely if at all more than that.

I found the DAKAR 2006 thread, read a few posts...

here were some people who got it... who shared the same experience... even if only via the remote contact of cyberspace, they were connected to the DAKAR... they "got it"... i felt compelled to write something... this was it;

01-09-2006, 03:19 PM

troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Oddometer: 13,537

As I can see on the web, news of this terrible tradgedy has started to filter through down under to the many people in Australia who have been following this tremendous aussie champions efforts in the deserts of africa. As an ex-patriot australian living here in europe AC's efforts over the last three years in DAKAR - indeed his entire motocross and more recently Safari' racing career - have been awe inspiring...

To Andy's wife, family and friends at home in Oz, our sincerest condolences. To the fantastic community of Keith in SA and the people who put their whole hearted support behind Andy's assault to conquer the ultimate challenge in rally raids over the last three years... we are sadened by the passing of your #1 son...

I hope that you all can find a little consolation - and I am sure that Andy would have got a kick out of knowing - that many of the european fans over here had taken the Aussie "(w)underdog" into their hearts... as a result of his fantastic results and down to earth personality.

rest well mate!

That was 13,000 something posts ago...

Since then I have made many friends here, majority who i have never met face to face, but regards as friends just the same. There are many other old racing and rally acquaintances who i have gotten intouch with via this site also... being an ex.pat Aussie in sweden, ADVRider affords me an avenue to keep in touch with many like minded... or in the case of the f5 crew (insane) individuals who share a passion for this sport... the pinnacle of which has been and still is despite it's metamophosis - DAKAR.

There was only ever one Andy Caldecott, just as there was only ever one Elmer Symonds, one Richard Sainct, one Fabrizio Meoni... or in fact one of all of us. In some bizzare way, this seemingly cold, sterile web based forum, brings folks from all corners of the globe and allows us to bitch, whinge, bicker, cry, laugh and rejoice together... all at the same time.

and I for one am proud and priveliged to say, that it's a buzz to be a part of.

Long live Dakar, long live the ADVRider forum and long live the f5 freaks that inhabit it.

Thanks Baldy

Absolutely amazing post. I read this one two times.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:09 PM   #5655
dox
How much for the ape?

Oddometer: 2,647
Quote:

Thanks Baldy

Fantastic post, Troy. Thanks.