ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-09-2013, 11:56 AM   #19696
btblueskies
BTBlueSkies
 
btblueskies's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Location: Richmond
Oddometer: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddlewis View Post
point C looks like the cell tower. A to B, I can't make out. we were talking recently about an alternate way up to Wiggins from Lowesville or Sandiges that I couldn't remember how to find. Thought it was via little Piney, past that Camp Crossroads.. but maybe this is it?
Yes, I bet this is it. I was actually trying to come out on the road Camp Crossroads was on, but I couldn't find a connecter. The one trail I did see that may be a connector was shutdown with dirt piles and tape.

I'll post the GPS track when I get home.

Also, The Cell Towers you speak of has a sign that says they are Navigation Towers... not Cell Towers... but I wouldn't know otherwise.
btblueskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:25 PM   #19697
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders
 
Dirtmonkey8's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Richmond, VA
Oddometer: 971
Quote:
Originally Posted by btblueskies View Post
Here is a great ride I have done... planning on doing it saturday if I can get out. The ride is actually from A->B->C. The map wouldn't draw the route between A and B as the road is not published in the map. It is a public access road to the National Forrest and is a bit challenging. The rode from B to C end's up at a navigation towers. From the Navigation towers there is a nice trail heading north that is a bit challenging also. I haven't completed that trail as my tires wouldn't get through some of the muddy sections. Now I have the K60 and am ready to give it another go ! Plus with the GPS spotter I got for XMas I don't mind going it alone anymore.. yea.

I have the proper GPS trek at home and I'll see if I can screen shot it and post it later.

So far the section from A to B is the most challenging section I have found in the area, besides the area behind Martins ;)


View Larger Map
They may have closed the gate to the NF at the top of the mountain. My folks have the place on the left shortly before you start heading up the mountain on the public access to the NF service road. Their place is the old chestnut log cabin and they built a house behind it up on the hill. The FS usually closes the rd in January after hunting season for the winter to kep the roads from getting too messed up. You may need a plan B. The rd running north from Rocky Top Tower eventually splits and both dead end. I am pretty sure it connected to the Parkway at one time. Fun roads though and it can get slick. Staton's Creek Falls is nearby and if you have not been there you should check it out sometime. It takes you off the gravel but when it brings you out to 60 you can cross over onto the Peddlar River gravel road area (fast and fun). I just asked my dad and he thinks that gate is probably closed. You may have to go up Piney River (Alhambra rd via Perkins Mill--- Shoe Creek anyone?) to get up to that area or enter from Rt 60. I may want to tag along if you guys don't mind. I am tempted to make the run to Monterey as well.
__________________
A little dirt don't hurt.
Dirtmonkey8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:05 PM   #19698
btblueskies
BTBlueSkies
 
btblueskies's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Location: Richmond
Oddometer: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtmonkey8 View Post
They may have closed the gate to the NF at the top of the mountain. My folks have the place on the left shortly before you start heading up the mountain on the public access to the NF service road. Their place is the old chestnut log cabin and they built a house behind it up on the hill. The FS usually closes the rd in January after hunting season for the winter to kep the roads from getting too messed up. You may need a plan B. The rd running north from Rocky Top Tower eventually splits and both dead end. I am pretty sure it connected to the Parkway at one time. Fun roads though and it can get slick. Staton's Creek Falls is nearby and if you have not been there you should check it out sometime. It takes you off the gravel but when it brings you out to 60 you can cross over onto the Peddlar River gravel road area (fast and fun). I just asked my dad and he thinks that gate is probably closed. You may have to go up Piney River (Alhambra rd via Perkins Mill--- Shoe Creek anyone?) to get up to that area or enter from Rt 60. I may want to tag along if you guys don't mind. I am tempted to make the run to Monterey as well.
Thanks... I will take all this into account.

Looks like I am free for Saturday :) .. .who else is in! I will plan the ride if ya want... and I am also open to someone else planning the ride... just let me know. I would like to be in this general area as I am familiar with it.. however I am totally game to go with someone elses game.... just let me know! :)

Smiles,
Karl.

GPS tracks comming up.

I have lost track on how to post images online.... errrr... post comming tomorrow I suppose.

Damn change engine... needs to be stopped so we don't always have to keep figuring out what to do... errrrr.....

btblueskies screwed with this post 01-09-2013 at 05:07 PM
btblueskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:23 PM   #19699
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo
 
Boon Booni's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Richmond, Va
Oddometer: 13,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgiacobbe View Post
What does my fork oil have to do with anything? Although, no I have not been brave enough to tear down the forks. Not really sure it needs it yet. Only 27k miles on my bike.
I do it yearly. Last time I did my fork oil on the strom is came out pretty beat up looking.
__________________
Where the fuck...
Where the fuck is the bike?
You gotta be shitting me.
Where the fuck is the road?
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:20 PM   #19700
ddlewis
squirrel
 
ddlewis's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: South/central Va
Oddometer: 1,490


It's a glorified commercial, but some pretty cool riding. Wonder how many Tiger XC's were killed in the making of this thing.
ddlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:46 PM   #19701
burtonrider3889
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: Richmond, VA
Oddometer: 792
Just got back in from jgiacobbe's house. Much thanks is owed for helping me lower my stock linkage and forks. Plus he helped me get my stock spark arrestor back in. Now all I need to do is try and get my suspension set up for my weight and I will be good to go.

I would possibly be down for a ride Saturday. I know I'm going to ride I just don't know how far.
__________________
2012 WR250R
2007 SV650 (SOLD)
1984 XL350R (SOLD)
2002 CR80R (SOLD)
burtonrider3889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:58 PM   #19702
toddzacker
NO FILTER
 
toddzacker's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: Williamsburg
Oddometer: 564
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddlewis View Post


It's a glorified commercial, but some pretty cool riding. Wonder how many Tiger XC's were killed in the making of this thing.
That was pretty sweet...I think it's time to go riding...who has a GoPro!!!
__________________
"That is one good tasting pickle", Jersey
'12 BMWR1200GS
'06 F650GS
toddzacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:59 PM   #19703
burtonrider3889
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: Richmond, VA
Oddometer: 792
I have a go pro!
__________________
2012 WR250R
2007 SV650 (SOLD)
1984 XL350R (SOLD)
2002 CR80R (SOLD)
burtonrider3889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:55 PM   #19704
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester
 
jgiacobbe's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Near Richmond VA
Oddometer: 2,015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boon Booni View Post
I do it yearly. Last time I did my fork oil on the strom is came out pretty beat up looking.
Do you end up removing and disassembling the forks or do you siphon the oil out? Never did anything with forks before.
jgiacobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:18 PM   #19705
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo
 
Boon Booni's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Richmond, Va
Oddometer: 13,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgiacobbe View Post
Do you end up removing and disassembling the forks or do you siphon the oil out? Never did anything with forks before.
Just remove the forks, remove the caps and springs (and emulators if you've installed some) and dump the forks to drain. Usually let them drain upside down for an hour or so.

Pushrod forks have super simple internals. I did a full disassemble once to install emulators because you've also got to drill out the stock valving holes to allow for full flow to the emulator. Since then I've just removed and drained them.

With 27, 000 miles on the clock I think you'll pull some dark and dirty oil out of those things.
__________________
Where the fuck...
Where the fuck is the bike?
You gotta be shitting me.
Where the fuck is the road?
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:44 PM   #19706
Jeff Munn
Just along for the ride..
 
Jeff Munn's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: Petersburg, Virginia
Oddometer: 1,928
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Alvarez View Post
Does anybody know this guy "Jon" who is selling a (very nice) V-Strom on Craigslist? I want to pick his brain regarding his recent trip to Labrador...I sent him an e-mail via CL.

http://richmond.craigslist.org/mcy/3524672223.html
Eddy,
If you don't get him, I'd be happy to answer any questions you have about the Trans-Lab, as long as they don't involve the new section from Goose Bay to Cartwright. Haven't ridden that yet. But you can read my ride report here if you have the time. Brian (BECoyote) and I did it a while back. I'm sure most of the info is still good.
Goose Bay and Beyond

I'd be happy to help out in any way. I still want to go back, and may take a Richmond contingent, to do the entire route without the ferry. But alas, this summer is already booked.

jeff
__________________
Ride to challenge yourself and to expand your horizons. But be warned, once you've ridden beyond the U.S. border, you might begin to realize that the world doesn't revolve around us......

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom
Jeff Munn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:15 PM   #19707
btblueskies
BTBlueSkies
 
btblueskies's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Location: Richmond
Oddometer: 160
From Adventure


Ok... I am starting to figure out how to post images again... my how stuff changes fast. As a software developer... I sorta tune out web changes anymore... now all of a sudden I have to remember how to do it :)

Here is a snapshot from google earth with a yellow trailhead pin in the lower right and the well known intersection in the upper left.

I am trying to figure out how to actually post a live link. I'll keep trying.
__________________

Smiles,
Karl
btblueskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:17 PM   #19708
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo
 
Boon Booni's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Richmond, Va
Oddometer: 13,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by btblueskies View Post
From Adventure


Ok... I am starting to figure out how to post images again... my how stuff changes fast. As a software developer... I sorta tune out web changes anymore... now all of a sudden I have to remember how to do it :)

Here is a snapshot from google earth with a yellow trailhead pin in the lower right and the well known intersection in the upper left.

I am trying to figure out how to actually post a live link. I'll keep trying.
I'm pretty sure that's the route Eddie(?) took a bunch of folks on Vstroms and GS's earlier this year.
__________________
Where the fuck...
Where the fuck is the bike?
You gotta be shitting me.
Where the fuck is the road?
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:32 PM   #19709
MADSTROM
Beastly Adventurer
 
MADSTROM's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Powhatan, Va
Oddometer: 1,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boon Booni View Post
I'm pretty sure that's the route Eddie(?) took a bunch of folks on Vstroms and GS's earlier this year.


Looks suspiciously familiar.

MADSTROM screwed with this post 01-09-2013 at 10:38 PM
MADSTROM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:04 AM   #19710
biker128pedal
Super Lurker
 
biker128pedal's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Eastern, VA
Oddometer: 2,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boon Booni View Post
Just remove the forks, remove the caps and springs (and emulators if you've installed some) and dump the forks to drain. Usually let them drain upside down for an hour or so.

Pushrod forks have super simple internals. I did a full disassemble once to install emulators because you've also got to drill out the stock valving holes to allow for full flow to the emulator. Since then I've just removed and drained them.

With 27, 000 miles on the clock I think you'll pull some dark and dirty oil out of those things.
It is not hard to do. If you can change your oil and remove the front wheel you can do it. A 15/16 wrench fits the fork caps. This fits a little snugger than a 24 mm. Loosen this before removing the fork. Remove pre-load. Just torque everything back correctly. Ya don't "tighten the piss out of all the fasteners."

See here: http://www.stromtrooper.com/v-strom-...il-change.html
__________________


Wee Strommin along.
biker128pedal is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014