User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-08-2013, 07:19 PM   #1
cwc OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 888
Large Garmin files Slow in Google Earth.

I'm working with a Garmin file with 63 tracks and 36,700 track points.

On my desktop computer it takes about 7.5 minutes to load into Google Earth (ver 6.1) from Mapsource ver 6.13.7 or 6.15.7.

Using Basecamp 4.05 it loads completely in about 2 minutes, the tracks appear in less than 30 seconds, and only some of the points can be displayed.

Versions later than 6.1 of GE won't work on the desktop.

I tried GE ver 6.2 on my Dell D630 laptop and it was a little faster for both Mapsource and Basecamp.

I then loaded the latest version of GE (7.02.8415) to the laptop and got the file to load from Basecamp in less than 2 minutes, but from Mapsource it jumped to 12 minutes. The points are still flakey when loaded from Basecamp.

If I work with smaller files say 3-5 tracks and 3000 or so track points everything is fast and fine.

The desktop is a Gateway core 2 duo 1.86 GHz with 3 Gb of ram and the D630 is a core 2 duo 2 GHz with 2 Gb of ram.

Is this as good as it gets with this old equipment, or am I missing something?

DR350 It'll get you there

My Ride Reports Here

cwc screwed with this post 01-08-2013 at 07:32 PM
cwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:28 AM   #2
mcnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,354
I don't have a good answer but do remember Goggle Earth help saying that if files are slow to load or GE is slow to launch to brake up the files into smaller datasets. That said I have GE files which contain thousands of tracks and presumably 10s - 100s of thousand points which loads very quickly. My cheap Acer netbook does bog down (compared to the desktop) a little with the same files.
Once saved as a GPS file (.gdb, .gpx) and a GE file (.kml, .kmz) why is this an ongoing problem?

Bruce

mcnut screwed with this post 01-09-2013 at 11:40 AM
mcnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:43 AM   #3
BKMLWR
Wondering around...

Oddometer: 4,381
In GE under the Tools / Options there is a tab for Cache. You may want to play with those values.

The images are loaded into a disc cache which can be saved and used to view images when there is no internet...
LifeSong
BKMLWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:49 PM   #4
cwc OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnut View Post
I don't have a good answer but do remember Goggle Earth help saying that if files are slow to load or GE is slow to launch to brake up the files into smaller datasets. That said I have GE files which contain thousands of tracks and presumably 10s - 100s of thousand points which loads very quickly. My cheap Acer netbook does bog down (compared to the desktop) a little with the same files.
Once saved as a GPS file (.gdb, .gpx) and a GE file (.kml, .kmz) why is this an ongoing problem?
Bruce
I like use tracks to make maps as that is a much more efficient way to share track data for large areas. Sometimes this involves large files and making changes that require them to be reloaded.

AND, if others such as yourself can get them loaded to view quickly I want that too.

As you said, there is a workaround, but it adds steps to the process.

My Ride Reports Here
Old 01-09-2013, 12:57 PM   #5
cwc OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKMLWR View Post
In GE under the Tools / Options there is a tab for Cache. You may want to play with those values.

The images are loaded into a disc cache which can be saved and used to view images when there is no internet...
I'll look at that.

The disk is not active when the slow loading is going on, so that may not help?????

My Ride Reports Here
Old 01-09-2013, 02:21 PM   #6
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,827
I generally try to limit the file size when using Google Earth since I am only interested at looking a relatively small area at any one time.

But I have viewed files with about 25 tracks of 500 points, 30 routes, and 500 waypoints. It doesn't seem to make a big difference in how fast GE loads. I just checked and this file loaded in less than 2 min - maybe 1:45.

My desktop is an 8 year old Dell. I upgraded to a newer version of GE about a year or so ago and found it incompatible with my graphics card. I got a lot of crosshatched patches.

I had to search around to find the old version of GE and reload it. I am running 6.1.x.

I would imagine your internet speed would be the big driver and probably not the cpu speed. I have pretty good high speed internet access at home.

wbbnm screwed with this post 01-09-2013 at 03:38 PM
wbbnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 03:57 PM   #7
250senuf
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,200
cwc, I'm assuming Basecamp and Mapsource are on the same computer.
Try doing the load to GE from Basecamp first then try it from Mapsource. The other day I had GE open from Mapsource, closed GE then decided I wanted GE again after all. The second time it loaded a lot faster, still from Mapsource. Pretty minor file sizes compared to the one you're loading.
Old 01-09-2013, 04:59 PM   #8
cwc OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbbnm View Post

I had to search around to find the old version of GE and reload it. I am running 6.1.x.

I would imagine your internet speed would be the big driver and probably not the cpu speed. I have pretty good high speed internet access at home.

My internet download speed generally runs about 16 Mbps.

While I am waiting for the file to load the GE world appears quickly followed by the track paths then GE uses ~50% of the CPU for a LONG time before all the track points appear. There is no HD activity or modem activity after the track paths appear.

My Ride Reports Here
Old 01-09-2013, 05:38 PM   #9
cwc OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 250senuf View Post
cwc, I'm assuming Basecamp and Mapsource are on the same computer.
Try doing the load to GE from Basecamp first then try it from Mapsource. The other day I had GE open from Mapsource, closed GE then decided I wanted GE again after all. The second time it loaded a lot faster, still from Mapsource. Pretty minor file sizes compared to the one you're loading.

Tried that, it made no difference.

My Ride Reports Here
Old 01-09-2013, 05:53 PM   #10
cwc OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKMLWR View Post

I increased the memory to 500 Mb and the disk cache to 2 Gb. It didn't help.

My Ride Reports Here
Old 01-09-2013, 05:58 PM   #11
mcnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,354
My understanding is that the Cache size in GE relates to the images or background which allows you to zoom and move around an area without having to redownload the images constantly. It also allows the images to be displayed (if previously cached) while offline.

So have you tried saving the data in GE and just adding the updates as you record them. Sounds a little like you have a way you want it to work vs. how it works best.

The is the BLM Bakersfield designated route file I referenced, thousands of tracks

http://www.blm.gov/pgdata/etc/medial...signations.kmz

Loads in seconds, every line segment is a track. Give it a try. I think importing your complete data from MS or BC to GE every time is killing you.

You might also look at the GPX2IMG software which creates a Garmin .img map file as many GPS will only handle 20 saved tracks.

Bruce

mcnut screwed with this post 01-09-2013 at 06:14 PM
mcnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:33 PM   #12
dajuice
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
I'm working with CWC on this mapping effort. I'm loading the same tracks via Mapsource in a matter of seconds with a slightly newer quad core processor in a dell laptop that is 3 years old running GE 7.0.2.8415 on windows 7. If I save the file as a kmz it is 1.63MB. My computer seems to like to render with DirectX while CWC's both want to use OpenGL. Considering his computer runs well with smaller files, I don't think the video card or drivers was the issue but I'm no expert. His computer seems to still be above the recommended settings to run GE so I'm perplexed. I was wondering if he has a corrupt file somewhere but again, why does it work with smaller files then

He has tried all the help available on this page: http://support.google.com/earth/bin/...6014&ctx=topic
dajuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:28 PM   #13
cwc OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnut View Post

So have you tried saving the data in GE and just adding the updates as you record them.

I really don't want the files to be resident in GE. I just like to look at them there for planning and because I find it entertaining. Sometimes I use it to confirm that I have the right tracks in the file.

Sounds a little like you have a way you want it to work vs. how it works best.

Thats the story of my life.

The is the BLM Bakersfield designated route file I referenced, thousands of tracks

Your file loaded in seconds for me.

I think importing your complete data from MS or BC to GE every time is killing you.

It works for dajuice.

You might also look at the GPX2IMG software which creates a Garmin .img map file as many GPS will only handle 20 saved tracks.

I wasn't clear on that part in my previous posts. These tracks are an intermediate step in creating .img files.

Bruce
In this case dajuice has taken on updating the map of Copper Canyon dirt roads (available here http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=569570) and I just wanted to look at his tracks on GE.

I guess since it loads in less than 2 minutes from Basecamp I probably should just accept it.

My Ride Reports Here