Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2013, 10:32 PM   #5701
rwell
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Boucou race assistance trucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by DruncleWill View Post
I can't seem to figure out how to embed a video, but here's a nice one of Robby's endover.
http://vimeo.com/57103964
Woah, that DHL truck that Robby's guys used to get parts to them is super nice. Wouldn't mind cruising a dakar with those guys sure would be an interesting way to see it.

http://boucou-assistance.com/fr/medi...o-résumé-dakar

rwell screwed with this post 01-09-2013 at 10:52 PM
rwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:43 PM   #5702
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Oddometer: 17,423
Quote:
Originally Posted by slime View Post
Or, they could do like the SCCA does, if it's not IN the rule book it's illegal. They have no grey areas..
That works well for technical regulations (pertaining to the modifications/alterations performance enhancements permitted to the vehicles themselves) agreed... You'd be no doubt familiar with a motorsport/racing rule book clause along the lines of; modifications to competing vehicles are limited to those as expressly outlined and permitted by these regulations. All other modification NOT specifically referred to in these reg's are strictly prohibited.

Enforcing such a clause for standard regulations (those with regards the running of actual event) is considerably more difficult to define and enforce, given that the variables (out in the real world) are so far greater and unpredictable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjen
"It's like deja vu all over again."

Quote:
Originally posted by PBee
"...the Barstid never gives you anything for your Sig line, it's always too long........."
troy safari carpente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:45 PM   #5703
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,221
HUH... ??

Nite..

wow who'd of thunk.. Yamaha
Thanks for the 2014 support:BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Renazco Racing, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , motolab , Tripy GPS, Loctite and Dunlop tires .

wrk2surf screwed with this post 01-09-2013 at 10:50 PM
wrk2surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:46 PM   #5704
Trang
... 2nd last to the Sweep

Oddometer: 1,070
Quote:
Originally Posted by troy safari carpente View Post
...the mustached homre getting around the course (and seen repeatedly over several different stages) in a plain clothed Toyota landcruiser, coincidentally loaded smock full of KTM 690 Rallye parts ...

I certainly get the jist of what you are saying here Troy, but i couldn't help myself from laughing at what you had written.

The thought of some poor 'enterprising' South American chap, who spent his entire life fortune, and mortgaged his grandmothers house for this purpose:

Him: Señor, KTM parts?
Entrant: You bet mate, i need a barrell and a piston for a 450RR?
Him: Yes señor, KTM 690, no?
Entrant: Um ...., sorry mate, no can do!

Old 01-09-2013, 10:51 PM   #5705
rwell
Adventurer

Quote:

"Oh-kay... bone f5¤%-ing dry at 285 km's...

... anysing erlse Helder-san...??"

Old 01-09-2013, 10:52 PM   #5706
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Oddometer: 17,423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trang View Post
I certainly get the jist of what you are saying here Troy, but i couldn't help myself from laughing at what you had written.

The thought of some poor 'enterprising' South American chap, who spent his entire life fortune, and mortgaged his grandmothers house for this purpose:

Him: Señor, KTM parts?
Entrant: You bet mate, i need a barrell and a piston for a 450RR?
Him: Yes señor, KTM 690, no?
Entrant: Um ...., sorry mate, no can do!

Enriques Churro's and KTM parts emporium. (sign)

"Sorry... out of business... ASO'les!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjen
"It's like deja vu all over again."

Quote:
Originally posted by PBee
"...the Barstid never gives you anything for your Sig line, it's always too long........."
troy safari carpente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:56 PM   #5707
kaia
team F5 ⌘R

Oddometer: 1,933
more webventure photos from stage 5

more webventure.com.br photos from stage 5... all cars and trucks; no bike photos posted yet. -->> all posted in the Dakar 2013 Media thread.

cars
#314 - BORIS GARAFULIC (CHL) / GILLES PICARD (FRA)

#302 - STÉPHANE PETERHANSEL (FRA) / JEAN PAUL COTTRET (FRA)

#311 - GUILHERME SPINELLI (BRA) / YOUSSEF HADDAD (BRA)

#305 - JOAN (NANI) ROMA (ESP) / MICHEL PÉRIN (FRA)

#302 - STÉPHANE PETERHANSEL (FRA) / JEAN PAUL COTTRET (FRA)

trucks

#504 - HANS STACEY (NLD) / DETLEF RUF (DEU) / BERNARD DER KINDEREN (NLD)

why are you still here? many more photos are posted in the Dakar 2013 Media thread.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:01 PM   #5708
rwell
Adventurer

Quote:
It's true that my own personal pendulum swings back and forth between the nitty gritty of rally raid sport... and the absurd, but at this wee hour (03;45 am local CET in Sweden) here is an opportune moment for me to provide youa all with an neduro-esque insight into my own cerebral connection to the f5 faucet...

Since then I have made many friends here, majority who i have never met face to face, but regards as friends just the same. There are many other old racing and rally acquaintances who i have gotten intouch with via this site also... being an ex.pat Aussie in sweden, ADVRider affords me an avenue to keep in touch with many like minded... or in the case of the f5 crew (insane) individuals who share a passion for this sport... the pinnacle of which has been and still is despite it's metamophosis - DAKAR.

There was only ever one Andy Caldecott, just as there was only ever one Elmer Symonds, one Richard Sainct, one Fabrizio Meoni... or in fact one of all of us. In some bizzare way, this seemingly cold, sterile web based forum, brings folks from all corners of the globe and allows us to bitch, whinge, bicker, cry, laugh and rejoice together... all at the same time.

and I for one am proud and priveliged to say, that it's a buzz to be a part of.

Long live Dakar, long live the ADVRider forum and long live the f5 freaks that inhabit it.

Thanks Baldy

f5olks at home, hit your donation buttons if you feel so inclined.

see ya's for Stage 6 tomorrow!
Very well worded Troy, It hit me right in the feels
Thanks for the 13,000 posts and to everyone else on here, as a lurker it really amazes me how you guys keep up and have the time to write such amazing posts
Old 01-09-2013, 11:03 PM   #5709
Clancy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,543
Quote:
Enriques Churro's and KTM parts emporium. (sign)

"Sorry... out of business... ASO'les!"

Old 01-09-2013, 11:05 PM   #5710
doyle OP
RallyRaidReview-ing

Oddometer: 22,636
I watched the Dakar each year through the 90's catching it on Speedvision, never religiously and at the time, my interest was in F1 and GT road racing. I used to watch Dakar for the cars and the trucks, those giant trucks.

In the 2004 coverage, something caught my eye, a KTM 660. WTF is that I thought. That looked cool so an internet search later I happened upon ADVrider and joined up to find out more about this bike...and then I was completely hooked.

Back then, the bivouac stories came three weeks later when Charlie chimed in with a post or two. Eurosport coverage was unobtanium in the states. and we would lap up every ounce of information we could get. 2005 was the first I followed with a real passion for it, the rules, the route, the riders. From that point on, the car race means very little to me. I don't even bother looking at the rankings. We learned the posis lists, the little tricks like when the French version of the list would update a minute or two before the english version as we formulated the early days of F5orce as a race to post the information of who was at what CP or WP. We had maps and tracks to see the route and the rider on that route (if it actually was working).

Charlie Rauseo and Roaring Horse, Scot Harden were our direct connections to the race as well as the rare post by Jimmy Lewis. It grew each year as we got better and more organized at sourcing the information, but it still mostly came from dakar.com. There was no twitter or FB or separate trackers, no Eurosport or France4, no youtube.

Now, quite frankly I've given up trying to keep up from a posting perspective. I lurk through every post, read all the information, but my output is usually twitter and my blog as so many others have joined the fray here and taken the reins. Quite frankly, the pace is that of the US debt, it has taken on a life of it's own and with my new job this year, I simply can't take two weeks of "inter-office personal days" as much as I used to.

I love every minute of it though between the real time aspect of knowing the exact moment that Chavo has stopped for McDonald's on the liaison, to video of RG rolling in the middle of nowhere getting posted to the web within 15 minutes, it is impossible to consume it all without being overwhelmed. I've come to discover that I enjoy writing about it, I try to keep up with my wrap ups and try to dig into stories that are a little more technical or that catch my eye as needing more depth rather than the play by play anymore although via twitter, I try to feed the minute by minute happenings and this year over other, the positive response has been both humbling and overwhelming. Like others, I have no one in the real world to discuss this with. My wife sees the obsession for two weeks each year and tolerates it, but it's my "hobby" and my little dork blog". People at work see my wallpaper and ask if it's me...if they only knew how much I wished it was.

This thread is so much fun each year and I am honored to have somewhat fallen into the old guard of starting it and it's such a great feeling to see how everyone has adopted into the process and have run with it. Just looking at the stats of how the thread grows each year over year is stunning. We are doing in a day what we did for the entire two weeks back in 2005 and 2006.

After all of that, I'll never forget Packmule calling me up on the first day of the 2008 rally as I was walking to my car for work and breaking the news that the whole thing was cancelled. Gutted.

RallyRaidReview - @RallyRaidReview
doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:07 PM   #5711
KTMInduro
Off Road Montster

Oddometer: 353
Quote:
Long live Dakar, long live the ADVRider forum and long live the f5 freaks that inhabit it.

Thanks Baldy

f5olks at home, hit your donation buttons if you feel so inclined.

see ya's for Stage 6 tomorrow!

Just want to say to Troy, Ned, PM, Doyle and all you others who know so much about the race - Thanks for making this thread such an exciting place to be at this time of year, every year. I've lurked as a silent member of F5 for quite a few years now. Really appreciate all you do here guys.
My mates just don't get it why I sit up to 3am every morning every year in January pressing F5 on my keyboard.
Glad to hang out with a bunch of people who do !

Cheers guys. To Team f5
KTMInduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:09 PM   #5712
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 4,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrk2surf View Post
wow who'd of thunk.. Yamaha
5 bike brands in the Top 10. I'd says that's a pretty good showing of the diversity the 450 class is bringing.
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:11 PM   #5713
640 Armageddon
-oo-

Oddometer: 1,813
This thread keeps getting better and better , got up, 20 pages behind
Have no idea why I go to sleep (or to work) while Dakar is on ...
Old 01-09-2013, 11:17 PM   #5714
Carlos M
www.motoxplorers.com

Oddometer: 2,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by ric678 View Post
.I do think the new streaming video is good, just love it when all the messages start popping Fr2 is ON!! Eurosport2 ON in 10!! adds another dimension to the experiencee
It's like reaching a Waypoint. You leave the roadbook (the main thread here) and go for it following the GPS (VLC Myway's playist) The firehose was getting too easy, so the F5 organizers put up this streaming video chase to spice things up

Morning everyone :sip (and good night for the ones across the globe).

MotoXplorers.com
Carlos M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:26 PM   #5715
doyle OP
RallyRaidReview-ing

Oddometer: 22,636
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8340SU View Post
Barreda's dream ends

He had everything planned to the fifth stage. Then came new plans and goals. Everything seemed to go smoothly: nailed his goals being the tenth ranked in the first stage: short, a snack, went out among the former, but not in the lead, the second day and that allowed him to quickly close the gap and win the stage, the same made on the fourth day, but the day before had been something more to break the spokes of the wheel and went further back than expected, but he continued to surprise, daring, fast. In the fifth stage, the more enduro, the more technical, which is said goodbye to the dunes momentarily and welcomed miss roads and land harder, all plans were ruined.

Barreda fuel pump broke his at kilometer 40 of a special 136, a short timed, which speaks volumes about the difficulty of the terrain. The Spanish, one of the biggest names in the beginning of this rally, reached the last checkpoint three hours after the first, David Casteu, and just behind teammate Matt Fish, who gave him a hand to complete the stage. So Barreda, winner of two stages, says goodbye to his title options. Frenchman Olivier Pain Yamaha leads the overall thanks to his consistency and challenge his compatriot Cyril Despres, third place and the favorite.

"I could not move forward, towards the end we suffered a lot. Fish had a fuel pump, but would not have solved anything, "recounted the Barreda, who believes that the problem derives from Wednesday when he suffered the accident two days earlier:" By going with broken spokes and wheel side by side I think it broke the tank, "he said, his face still dirty, full of dust, exhausted after more than five hours of a terrible job. They had to push his bike for almost 100 miles and another 275 special liaison to the bivouac: "We were taking turns, dragging as we could, we have fallen several times and have come out a little from the path to find an easier way without forgetting go through all the obligatory passage points "he recalled.

Throughout the year I have not had any mechanical problems and now I have been the only in the team with problems
And hurt by the missed opportunity: "Now the race is already lost. And you have to learn and analyze what happened. We are still in an upward, both the team and myself. The pity is that in all the years I've had no mechanical problems and now I have been the only in team with problems. I've had bad luck. " Confess it will cost to ride the bike on Thursday: "Now you remember the work done throughout the year and you realize that everything is going to hell in a moment. But had a hard time getting here, so you have to follow. " From now on, he says, is to get to Santiago and take advantage of what is to gain experience and help fellow Botturi Gonçalves and to get into the top 5. "And if I can pull, open track someday and take risks in terms of navigation, I will take" ditch thinking ahead.
This single sentence, and the sentiment implied, is the very explanation for mudgate and mostly the context through which I view that incident. I know a lot of Despres haters piled on him for unsporting behavior, but I still think, what we saw at that moment, as the red mist is falling, was Cyril's raw emotions taking control in a rare, internal coup d'etat, from his usual, cerebral internal ruler. There he was, 2nd on stage, stuck knowing that Coma was not and therefore pulling away and Despres' overall lead with him. I can see how in the moment, with the relative shock of being stopped and thrown from top speed, coupled with the sense that your rally and all you've prepared for it was slipping away, it's easy to envision a slightly panicked, somewhat irrational Despres doing whatever he could to get away.

Barreda's comment is what really sums it up for me. Knowing how hard he has worked this year, how much time and effort and dedication, to lose all that to a fuel pump must be heartbreaking, but he'll go on to fight another day, another rally.

RallyRaidReview - @RallyRaidReview
doyle is offline   Reply With Quote