Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2013, 11:26 AM   #46
Rob Farmer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,968
To be honest I've never had any issues with the standard method of shimming.

Garry H machined an end cover to allow him to measure the bearings.

Rob Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:27 PM   #47
Kai Ju
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by ME 109 View Post
My thoughts was for a material like a very porous aluminium sheet. Very easy to crush, and would stay at the crushed size.
I don't think there is anything like it tho'
How about some balled up aluminum foil sitting on the edge of the bearing, held in place by a dab of grease or maybe even superglue.
Kai Ju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:32 PM   #48
Beemerboff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,209
Two pack epoxy, sometimes sold in a strip that you knead together, works OK on final drives so it should work on boxes too.
Old 01-08-2013, 04:43 PM   #49
DiabloADV
Semi-Occasional

Oddometer: 2,174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemerboff View Post
Two pack epoxy, sometimes sold in a strip that you knead together, works OK on final drives so it should work on boxes too.
Do you mean just use one of the pieces, so it doesn't harden...?
'91 Bill Holland Steel w/Dura Ace

'01 Z3 3.0 Coupe. The Clownshoe.
DiabloADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:47 PM   #50
Wirespokes
Beemerholics Anonymous

Oddometer: 7,748
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemerboff View Post

You would have to adjust the shim stack to suit the difference between the pocket depths on the trial and the good cover, of course, but that would be the only measurement required, so the possibility of error is greatly reduced.

Anyone see why this system wouldn't work on a airhead box.?
This sounds nice, but for several reasons I don't see it working.

First of all, the covers aren't uniform and careful measurements need to be taken. Trying to compare the two would require parallels and a quality depth gauge - at which point, trying to compare to another cover would be extra work. The comparison process also adds another level of complexity and possible error.

As has been already mentioned - the process is basically simple, it's the details that are the killer. That, and being at the limits of measuring ability are what make it difficult. Trying to shoot for minimum play but not too tight can be tricky.
Old 01-09-2013, 01:14 AM   #51
ME 109
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,802
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai Ju View Post
How about some balled up aluminum foil sitting on the edge of the bearing, held in place by a dab of grease or maybe even superglue.
The theory sounds ok. The question would be, did it spring back at all??
The shim stacks in my bike were in the high .8mm vicinity. The ball of foil would need to be in the ball park for overall size, and the amount of 'scrunched up' as well.

Trial and error with your method could provide repeatable numbers.

I measured a cigarette paper @ .025mm. That is half the recommended end play

The 2 part epoxies would work I reckon with a well thought out procedure, only trouble is those epoxies set very quickly.
Two I looked at were 4 and 5 minute set times. That means getting the cover on and torqued up in that time frame.
The hot cover may even accelerate curing.
Doable, but it's cutting things a bit fine.

The positive aspect of placing something under the 'torqued' cover to obtain a measurement, is that it provides a real world situation of the cover.
I found clearances to decrease as the cover was tightened. I would say, that it is in addition to the gasket compressing, perhaps because the fasteners are inside of the gasket perimeter.

Prolly getting way too carried away, but go have a look at a cigarette paper.
Old 01-09-2013, 02:46 AM   #52
Beemerboff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,209
The advantage I saw in the trial and error system was that you dont need the actual measurement of much, if anything.

You only need to know the difference in depths of the pockets, and this could be worked out by making a fixed gauge the depth of the shallower pocket, then adding shims to find the extra depth of the deeper pocket.

Once you have the shim thickness you can add or remove shims of equal thickness, to correct any difference in the pockets, but again no need to take a measurement - just lock the caliper at the thickness and remove shims that thickness.

The other advantage of setting the bearings by feel is that you are directly measuring the thing you are tying to set - the clearance/ preload on the bearing with a torqued down cover.

Also, if you have no access to machine tools or accurate measuring equipment, nor the skill to use them, it is still possible to come up with an accurate setting.

The bearing housings on the measuring cover could be opened out with a flap wheel in a power drill, and no particular degree of accuracy is required with the calipers / depth gauge as all differences are made by adding , removing or comparing shims.

That compares with trying to set a two thou clearance by taking six or seven measurement with equipment that only measures to the nearest 1/2 thou. And one of these measurements is an uncompressed gasket.

But I only offered the trial and error system up as suggestion - I already have a shim plate and a Pops old Moore &Wright gauges, parallels, etc.

The system of using epoxy to measure the actual gap is just about the only one I can use on a final drive with the equipment I have, and has been tested and proven to work accuratly in this application.
I will just use a bit less hardener in the epoxy and run the bolts down with a socket in my electric screwdriver/drill - required torque is only 16 ft/lbs and I should be able to set the drill pretty close to that and run them in in a few seconds a bolt.
Old 01-09-2013, 04:42 AM   #53
chasbmw
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,686
Now for something completely different. Not everybody has access to, or knows how to make, special tools.
How about a loaner program for some of the more difficult/rare/expensive ones.
I would think that somebody that feels confident enough to tackle a job themselves would also be considerate enough to treat the tools with the care they deserve.
No fees, just shipping cost to and fro.
Let me know what you guys think.[/QUOTE]

For UK based inmates, the UK BMW club has a very full range of tools available for airheads and later bikes. The tools include all the special tools for doing gearboxes and the hire cost is minimal 5 + postage.

The tool hire guy Mike Delacoe is very approachable and will give advice on which tools are needed, the tools I have hired have been in good condition. You do need to be a club member at a cost of 27 p.a., but I get this back as a discount for club membership from my insurance company. www.bmwclub.org.uk. Club politics can be a bit boring, but you don't need to participate!
1971 Commando Fastback
chasbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:10 AM   #54
Rob Farmer
Beastly Adventurer

Being as I spat my dummy out and cancelled my membership last year will probably mean I've blown that one

I'm pretty well sorted for Airhead tools and kit but it's a good option for people who aren't.
Old 01-09-2013, 12:17 PM   #55
Kai Ju
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Farmer View Post
Being as I spat my dummy out and cancelled my membership last year will probably mean I've blown that one

I'm pretty well sorted for Airhead tools and kit but it's a good option for people who aren't.
Rob, you may have to explain what a dummy is. Ok, I'll do it for you. It's a pacifier, as in what you stick in your baby's mouth to keep him or her quiet.
My wife being English we used that term, much to the consternation of innocent bystanders that had no idea when they heard us say: Did you remember to bring the dummy.

Thanks for making me remember my kids before they turned into teenagers............
Old 01-09-2013, 12:35 PM   #56
Rob Farmer
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai Ju View Post
Rob, you may have to explain what a dummy is. Ok, I'll do it for you. It's a pacifier, as in what you stick in your baby's mouth to keep him or her quiet.
My wife being English we used that term, much to the consternation of innocent bystanders that had no idea when they heard us say: Did you remember to bring the dummy.

Thanks for making me remember my kids before they turned into teenagers............
I'd better not mention anything about having a fag then
Old 01-10-2013, 12:46 AM   #57
Kai Ju
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Farmer View Post
I'd better not mention anything about having a fag then
Especially when you realize that you stick it between your lips and you suck on it..............
What a nasty and expensive habit, so glad I quit. (We're talking about cigarettes, just in case you were wondering)

Talk about going off topic.

To bring us back on, got my bearings today and will hopefully get my shim plate before the week is out.
Already removed and replaced the bushing for the cover side bearing on the input shaft. Using digital Verniers measured the OD on the old one which was 19.96 mm while the new one is 19.99 mm
Need to remove the remaining bearings from the other two shafts and press the new ones on.