Oddometer: 282

http://www.norra.com/vehicle-entries.php?page=4
Old 01-06-2013, 05:00 PM   #197
Luke OP
GPoET&P

Oddometer: 4,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOCsprocket View Post
Awesome installment, but how come when I come to the shop we spend all day making a hole in a piece of aluminum, and when I'm not there you guys appear to be making a motorcycle?

Well, you also missed a few other days spend making holes in aluminum, then another couple of days making funny shaped rods out of steel.

I think that the time spent on parts is the inverse of their size.

The big parts are fun, the little ones are hard.
Luke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:25 PM   #198
Luke OP
GPoET&P

So, as Rick said, Allan and Cory and I put a day in yesterday. Well, more like a half day. There was a bit of a late start and a lunch break involved. Lunch was at a diner the locals call "Icky's". Scary sounding, but its been in business for a while in a non-tourist town. It must be ok. And it was.

We finished the assembly on the motor: torqued the head, set the valve lash, double checked that the oil pickup tubes were correct.

Also made a little more progress on the shock mounts- Al made most of a lower shock mount. A little clean up and threading on it and we'll be ready to tack it on the swingarm and check the geometry.

Finally, just to tick Alex off we put the frame on a jack and mounted up the forks, swingarm and shock just so it looked like we were building a bike.
Old 01-06-2013, 06:46 PM   #199
Loud Al

Oddometer: 3,867
Luke making a list

Carbs

Mesure once

They just need a small adjustment

Paying the rent

Shock mount

Progress

Allan
Loud Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:11 PM   #200
Luke OP
GPoET&P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loud Al View Post
Carbs

They just need a small adjustment

This was the first time I'd really been into these carbs. The spacing between the carbs is set up for a different bike, so we had to pull them apart to figure out how to adjust that. At first, it looked like there was no way to syncronize the carbs. Normally there's a spring/screw arrangement that connects individual shafts and can be adjusted. None of that on these, though. Which was actually a relief. No way of adjusting them is one less thing to worry about.

Of course, that wasn't true at all. It turns out that the screws that hold the levers to the throttle shaft (that I'm turning in the picture) are actually a double-screw arrangement sort of like a valve tapped. So not only do the carburetors need to be syncronized, the carb lids have to be opened up to do it.

The good news is that all the parts that are needed for the carb seem to be available. In other words, I've ordered them, and hope they're actually in stock. In the spirit of optimism I also ordered some round bar stock for fabricating a new throttle shaft in case the supposedly universal shaft isn't universal enough.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:32 AM   #201
RustyStuff
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 492
Your a Brave man.
CB550's and 650's are heavy stock and yours is heavier and taller.
And probably alot more powerfull with those CR26's.

Good Luck.

I say if your going to make it, go all out.....
Open Megaphones. There is no other way.

You want the competition to do a double take and say
"What the f*ck was that" as you blow by them with the bike wound up to 9500rpm.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:51 AM   #202
Byron1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
Laugh

Only just found this thread. Spent the last few hours refusing to leave our hostel (despite my Gf telling me we should do some sight seeing) reading over it and finding myself getting so excited that a little bit of wee dribbled out. Hats off guys, this is awesome.

Can't wait to see the finished product.. You tube video link of you giving it some stick please...
Byron1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:51 PM   #203
Luke OP
GPoET&P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron1 View Post
Can't wait to see the finished product.. You tube video link of you giving it some stick please...
Giving it some stick??????

Oh, like this?

I was hoping to avoid that sort of thing, but if there's video I'll post it.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:52 PM   #204
LC Garage
On Any Sunday

Oddometer: 677
More Progress Pics

Tonight Luke wanted to get the bike up on it's wheels and take several measurements and also weigh the bike. It appears Luke's amazing mojo on this project is still intact!

With front and rear suspenders at full extension, measuring fork rake, seat height, ground clearance, etc. Will let Luke fill in all the details.

Next at "sag" height;

And then at full compression;

Then we stuffed in the engine and hung on as many components as possible, time to weigh in with the Last Chance Garage's super scales, accurate to within + or - one stone;

Front wheel @ 150lbs.

Rear wheel @ 175 lbs.

Total weight at this time; 325 lbs. To say we were happy with those numbers (and the rear weight bias) is putting it mildly!
Old 01-08-2013, 11:45 PM   #205
Luke OP
GPoET&P

Today was short but important. I finished up the lower shock mount that was started on Saturday, then clamped it to the swingarm in about the right spot. I mounted up a shock and measured the bike's geometry. Unfortunately it didn't turn out right- the rake is a couple of degrees more than it should be.

Rick dropped in about this time and we re-measured everything, which confirmed it. I'm not sure why it's off, best guess is that rake was off when I measured the original frame. Regardless, the choice now is to move either the top or bottom shock mounts. Moving the lower mounts will be easier, moving the top mounts should give better results.

Bad news, but not the end of the world. The results of the weigh in make up for it. Rick was predicting 400#. I was hoping for not much more than 350#. We were both surprised.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:28 AM   #206
LC Garage
On Any Sunday

Oddometer: 677
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke View Post
Today was short but important. I finished up the lower shock mount that was started on Saturday, then clamped it to the swingarm in about the right spot. I mounted up a shock and measured the bike's geometry. Unfortunately it didn't turn out right- the rake is a couple of degrees more than it should be.

Rick dropped in about this time and we re-measured everything, which confirmed it. I'm not sure why it's off, best guess is that rake was off when I measured the original frame. Regardless, the choice now is to move either the top or bottom shock mounts. Moving the lower mounts will be easier, moving the top mounts should give better results.

Bad news, but not the end of the world. The results of the weigh in make up for it. Rick was predicting 400#. I was hoping for not much more than 350#. We were both surprised.
Here are some interesting and possibly useful specs for a big desert sled (note rake/trail & weight, wheelbase is another factor);

BMW F650GS Dakar

Manufacturer BMW Motorrad
Production 2000–2008
Predecessor F650 Funduro
Successor F650GS (twin) & F800GS
G650GS
Class Dual-sport
Engine 652 cc, Single-cylinder, Water-cooled, Four-stroke, DOHC, 4-valves
Power 50 hp (37 kW) @ 6500 rpm
Torque 44 lb·ft (60 N·m) @ 5000 rpm
Transmission 5-speed, O-Ring Chain
Brakes Front: 1 disc, 2 piston caliper; Rear: 1 disc, 1 piston caliper; ABS optional
Tires 21 inch front, 17 inch rear
Rake, Trail 29.2°, 4.9 in (124 mm)
Wheelbase 58.6 in (1,488 mm)
Dimensions L 86.2 in (2,189 mm)
W 35.8 in (909 mm)
H 49.8 in (1,265 mm)
Seat height 34.3 in (871 mm)
Weight 390.7 lb (177.2 kg) (dry)
425.5 lb (193.0 kg) (wet)
Old 01-09-2013, 09:54 AM   #207
Loud Al

Oddometer: 3,867
Quote:
Originally Posted by LC Garage View Post
Here are some interesting and possibly useful specs for a big desert sled (note rake/trail & weight, wheelbase is another factor);

BMW F650GS Dakar

Manufacturer BMW Motorrad
Production 2000–2008
Predecessor F650 Funduro
Successor F650GS (twin) & F800GS
G650GS
Class Dual-sport
Engine 652 cc, Single-cylinder, Water-cooled, Four-stroke, DOHC, 4-valves
Power 50 hp (37 kW) @ 6500 rpm
Torque 44 lb·ft (60 N·m) @ 5000 rpm
Transmission 5-speed, O-Ring Chain
Brakes Front: 1 disc, 2 piston caliper; Rear: 1 disc, 1 piston caliper; ABS optional
Tires 21 inch front, 17 inch rear
Rake, Trail 29.2°, 4.9 in (124 mm)
Wheelbase 58.6 in (1,488 mm)
Dimensions L 86.2 in (2,189 mm)
W 35.8 in (909 mm)
H 49.8 in (1,265 mm)
Seat height 34.3 in (871 mm)
Weight 390.7 lb (177.2 kg) (dry)
425.5 lb (193.0 kg) (wet)

We all know those are terrible bikes and shouldn't be emulated in any way

Allan
Loud Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:05 PM   #208
DRjoe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,782
Instead of changing the rear suspension how about making an off set stem to decrease the trail?
DRjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:31 AM   #209
Luke OP
GPoET&P

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRjoe View Post
Instead of changing the rear suspension how about making an off set stem to decrease the trail?
How do you make those?

Just making a regular stem would take me a lot longer than moving the shock mounts. There are a couple of other advantages to lifting the back end: I get a little more progression in the suspension action and about the right amount of ground clearance.
Old 01-10-2013, 01:13 AM   #210
DRjoe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,782
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke View Post
How do you make those?

Just making a regular stem would take me a lot longer than moving the shock mounts. There are a couple of other advantages to lifting the back end: I get a little more progression in the suspension action and about the right amount of ground clearance.

It was just an idea for if you had the swing arm angle where you wanted it but if you want a more progressive shock action and and more anti squat then moving the shock mounts will certainly solve all those at once.

Have you had a look at tony foales book and suspension program? Its a great read and the program really helps with working out suspension geometry.
There is also a program for push bikes that helped me a lot to work out the rear suspension on my project bike, I think it was called linkage but I'm not 100% sure.
DRjoe is offline   Reply With Quote